New Jersey sr500 tracker/scrambler

you changed out the rings ,um did you take the cylinder in to have it honed and or checked for wear taper out of round
how did you deglaze/hone the barrel and did you do a proper job ?
are you sure you did not break the oil control rings ? they make a gentle snapping noise when you break one, always turn off the stereo when sliding a jug on ,the snapping noise translates to FUCK YOU yankee dog !!!
the breather is the hoese that went to the airfilter box

xb33bsa said:
you changed out the rings ,um did you take the cylinder in to have it honed and or checked for wear taper out of round
how did you deglaze/hone the barrel and did you do a proper job ?
are you sure you did not break the oil control rings ? they make a gentle snapping noise when you break one, always turn off the stereo when sliding a jug on ,the snapping noise translates to FUCK YOU yankee dog !!!
the breather is the hoese that went to the airfilter box

the ring was compressed in my hand when I put it on and didn't get hung up, the jug was fine theres pics somewhere 35 pages back haha I chose to not deglaze/hone read a ton of mixed info on it and I didn't want to do too much

Did you have it running at all before the engine came apart?

If the answer was "no", it usually means rings and an hone for me (at the very least). Measuring the bores would have told you if you were past the wear limit. Possible it may even need to go .25 over.

Sonreir said:
Did you have it running at all before the engine came apart?

If the answer was "no", it usually means rings and an hone for me (at the very least). Measuring the bores would have told you if you were past the wear limit. Possible it may even need to go .25 over.

the stator had to be rewound, the low speed wiring was bad but I did get it to run a couple times at higher RPM with some good pushes from friends before I checked on the stator to find out it was bad. hard to explain but it fired up with a couple good pushed bump starts.

im trying to wrap my brain around not prepping a bore for fresh rings
it is the very most important thing to do besides not breaking them on install
you must properly hone-prep a cast iron bore for fresh rings,prefrerably with a precision sunnen hone
then the fresh rings can, for lack of a better term,polish-in the bore until the fit is perfect
once the bore has been used and has that shine on it a fresh ring cannot seat in for a perfect fit cause it cant make any change in the slick smooth surface
you were misled.boy

Start over from here:

index.php

Damn Xb im impressed that you even bother..! This guy should be paying you hard cash for your advice. I learned it the hard way - my old man told me how shit works inside the Otto 4-cycle combustion engine sometime when you still had color in your hair.
I could make his bike run reliably in an afternoon but then i would have to take a ride on iryna after just to cool down

still didn't drain the oil bunch of rain lately finally all moved in to the new place tools and all. if I need to bore and hone what would you guys recommend boring it out to and how about stock vs. 540cc the piston was the stock piston at 87mm and I think it was the smallest of the pistons labeled with A,B,C,D for variances. I have seen piston sizes from +.5 to +3. my neighbor knows a mechanic that works on bikes but id like to know around how much I should be paying for a bore and hone job.

i would suggest you get the thing running as is and see if it stops oil fouling plugs, you might get lucky
smoking is best found by somebody following you at night it will show in their headlights
a little bit of smoke and minor oil consumption is nothing to worry about

xb33bsa said:
i would suggest you get the thing running as is and see if it stops oil fouling plugs, you might get lucky
smoking is best found by somebody following you at night it will show in their headlights
a little bit of smoke and minor oil consumption is nothing to worry about

Yes - this ^^^^

Get a hotter spark plug to help stop it oil fouling (one number down). The rings will seat eventually, just takes a fair bit longer if the cylinder isn't honed.

i think my issue might be a little more than a fouled plug but I will grab a bp6es and a bp5es and give it a go today

New plug and she started whew :eek: ;D rode it around the block a bunch and a few miles down the road I'm thinking the pilot is too rich and its fouling up the plugs when I'm sitting in traffic and at lights. New neighborhood is usually busy with traffic I did one plug chop and dropped the needle down to the leanest setting from the middle. I haven't done a chop with the new setting I'll post back tomorrow it still hesitates at wot if I crack it open fast :/

Anyone know of a flat top triple to Lower the bars they are high as hell and wide

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 612
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 304
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 302
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 303
You got the wrong spark plug - the thread shaft is half the length of the proper one.

Your combustion chamber is in the spark plug tunnel.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Nah, its just the angle of the pic I think.

whats the digits onit grasshopper?

Nope.

Correct plug is a BP6ES which has a 19mm thread length. He's got an H plug in there which is about 12mm thread length.

Back
Top Bottom