CB450 Café Racer Build. IT'S A ROLLER

Re: CB450 Café Racer Build. SPOKES

Your project is going great...and awe-inspiring for a fellow CB450 builder. I cant wait to see the engine pics.

So here is my plan for spokes, I don't really like the nock offs as the quality is less than desirable, I don't really have the budget right now for Buchanans :-\ (maybe SS or chrome down the road) and I really wanted colored spokes. So I am going to go with option C, paint on the originals. I spent the better part of the afternoon yesterday cleaning each individual spoke with steel wool :p .
5553482338_14dd6cb639.jpg

5553482164_61d0078cd9.jpg

5553482000_5cfa7ccaa6.jpg

I also soaked the nipples in parts cleaner to get the gunk off them, I like the idea of gold nipples so I think I am going to just clean them and leave them be.
5553481808_fc461792e0.jpg

I then taped off the threaded part on the spoke and hung them all from a hanger and laid some paint. Three light layers of grey followed by two of clear. they are now curing on wax paper for a couple days and then will be baked in the oven to harden the clear. End result I think looks really good.
5553481692_964e382a69.jpg
5553481534_f5d2308d37.jpg

Comparison start to finish. :eek:
5552897025_9a3f2cc4da.jpg

Hin the TON!!! with this post, haha.

JR

imseamless said:
Where's that painted engine! Can't wait to see the photos

Yeah, sorry all I got over ambitious and started reassembly before I took proper photos of the painted engine cases. So you will all just have to wait till the engine is together for those photos. Hopefully soon, I am waiting on a cam chain master link and valve stem seals (for the third time)

JR

roadrocket88 said:
Your project is going great...and awe-inspiring for a fellow CB450 builder. I cant wait to see the engine pics.

Thanks alot, I will get the engine pics up as soon as I can.

JR

Okay I need to update you all on what is going on. I am still waiting on my cam chain master link to show up so I am stuck and cant get the engine together yet. Paint on the spokes is just not durable enough so I am sending them out to get them Zinc Plated so my wheels are on hold. I have a friend building me a rear loop and I am going to have him weld it in as well as add 2-3" to the swing-arm, then after tank, seat and engine fitting I am going to send the frame off to powder.
So for now I have been finishing up with polishing. I put together a new mockup bike with the 3" extension and the correct colors as well as a new number. Enjoy.
cafe.jpg

JR

Re: CB450 Café Racer Build. WAITING

looks great man. Cant wait to see you throw this together... might i suggest for the art mockup that you add a 45 degree angle facing up @ about 5 inches behind the rearsets for the exhaust...going into a pipe upwards... it would be cool looking in my opinion... tell me what you think?

Duuuuude. you been getting any work done lately? I can't wait to see this thing come together!

Okay I know I have been neglecting my thread but I have been doing a lot of little things that just dont feel worth posting but I finally got a good bit of work done so here is an update.

So to start I cleaned up the hubs/rims and sent them to the powder guy.

When I got them back from the powder guy I got to work cleaning them up, apparently at this powder place they dont know how to mask :p so the hubs looked pretty crappy. I had to take a exacto knife to the globs of paint and then sand forever to get them cleaned up and pretty. The rims on the other hand looked great!

As I posted above I started cleaning spokes (since I really don't have the money to dish out for a Buchanans set), I used steel wool and to smooth them all out and get the crud off them and then I painted and baked them. Fail :p , when I went to lace the wheel the pant started to chip off. So plan "B" I talked to Matt AKA Sonreir and he gave me a screaming deal on cleaning and polishing them. They really look almost new. ;D So once I got them back I decide to clear them for protection from oxidation.
Here is the setup I used, a 1x2 with 1/8" holes. The spokes screwed right in.

Last night I finally got to lacing the wheels, not as hard as I thought it might be. they really do look great though. ;D
46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

So next up over the weekend I hope to have the tires and brakes on, The covers all finished up and installed and the engine completed. Cross your fingers for a big update come Tuesday.
Cheers. 8)

JR

Re: CB450 Café Racer Build. Wheels and spokes!

Wow, very well done wheels, maybe next winter for me. I ended up buying set on ebay that just needed a good cleaning (still don't look as good a complete re-do) as I was not sure I was up for a "re-spoke". You said it was not that bad though, any links to good "how-too's"?

Thanks

FunTSAR said:
Wow, very well done wheels, maybe next winter for me. I ended up buying set on ebay that just needed a good cleaning (still don't look as good a complete re-do) as I was not sure I was up for a "re-spoke". You said it was not that bad though, any links to good "how-too's"?

Thanks

Hey Thanks FunTSAR, I really just looked at it and figured it out on my own, the first rim was like an hour and then it was like 15 minutes. If you really need the help I could talk you through how.

On another note, I failed this weekend. I had so much come up with family that I didnt get a chance to do anything on the bike :-\ . I did get the wheels in to my mechanic, $40 to true and mount tires. he also told me I didnt need new bearings :D . I will get some photos up as soon as I get them back. tonight I am going to bake my last pieces and hopefully tomorrow I will get the rest of the engine assembled.

JR

NICE! I'm going to do the same thing with my wheels, but in a flat black lip.

The wheels look just great! You're getting closer my friend!!!
Kev

Re: CB450 Café Racer Build. Frame & Swingarm

Okay, I am hoping this is the start of the end. I did some cutting/grinding on tabs and as soon as my rear loop came in I sent the frame/swingarm to the welders.
49.jpg

50.jpg

I hacked off the rear and got it prepped for the loop.
51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

Rear loop welded in place.
54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

The swingarm turned out perfect 8) . I was thinking that it was going to cost me an arm and a leg but when I got there my welder charged me about $50, :eek: that was for fabbing the plugs and welding them in.
57.jpg

58.jpg

one of the old stock swing arms in comparison to the extended one. Looking good
59.jpg

Now everything is off to the powdercoaters, hopefully I will have it all back in a week.

JR

Back
Top Bottom