A CB360 Build - Lil' Sebastian Rides Again

deviant said:
I love that fuze holder. It's the bee's knees.

Ahhh was it you who sent me the link Deviant? Sorry if it was!! But yeah it's f-ing brilliant. Good find.

el barto said:
Aight back to a bit of work on the bike this weekend. PJ, which adjuster are you referring to?
The large head screw with spring in fork leg with locknut in caliper arm

crazypj said:
The large head screw with spring in fork leg with locknut in caliper arm

Ok yeah got ya. What is the reset position? Is it just me or is there nothing about that in the manual?

Put a 0.006" feelergauge on the 'fixed' pad, adjust screw until it touches disc and just about slides out. Tighten locknut It really is that simple. I think it is in manual somewhere but it may have been dealer training, I just can't remember

crazypj said:
Put a 0.006" feelergauge on the 'fixed' pad, adjust screw until it touches disc and just about slides out. Tighten locknut It really is that simple. I think it is in manual somewhere but it may have been dealer training, I just can't remember

Thanks PJ!

Lil word of warning to anyone doing front brake adjustments on a 360: with the minimum of force one of the edges of the slotted adjuster nut sheared off when I began messing with it. Literally one turn and it came off. Not sure if mine was unusually brittle but something to watch out for.

820531a4e1ae58118ac28ab23070bbd4.jpg

c9921c6fab4bbb3b9a19344ca6af389b.jpg

There is a slot in the 'head' end as well, use a screwdriver about 1/2" wideas it's real shallow.
That bit breaking off is pretty common, the screw sticks in the alloy fork leg so even when locknut is completely loose you could have a problem. I usually run a 6mm tap through to clean up threads then use some sort of anti-seize.
I've been using non-setting Teflon plumbing sealer for years, seems to work well and better than many'normal' anti-seize compounds (it's also a couple of bucks more expensive than normal anti-seize stuff at around $7~8.00)

Hi guys.

Today I'm having some trouble getting the neutral light in the gauge to work. As you can see from the pics, I've got a line running from the neutral switch line up to the neutral light wire in the headlight cluster. Is this correct? I've tried a couple of configurations but can't get it right. Any help appreciated!

cea16a5ec280a5cbb8fc4c91072a5fd0.jpg

46cc1607ef48aa69943c244c3b9d79b4.jpg

a3cf126147d6171cbbed10bae129292d.jpg

Pretty sure the G/R Is a ground so there should be a hot wire going to the light (black) and then the G/R acts as a ground, so when the bike is in neutral the switch grounds out and turns the light on

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

adventurco said:
Pretty sure the G/R Is a ground so there should be a hot wire going to the light (black) and then the G/R acts as a ground, so when the bike is in neutral the switch grounds out and turns the light on

But that's how I've got it set up right? Or do you mean that Light Green/Red needs to be going to ground instead of to the light?

el barto said:
But that's how I've got it set up right? Or do you mean that Light Green/Red needs to be going to ground instead of to the light?

Yeah, that.

This is from the XL350 diagram but the wiring is basically reversed from what you'd think on a neutral light because of how the neutral switch works. The switch on the engine works as a switched ground. So you have a powered black wire that goes to the light (will test on with a test light) and then the Lg/R is a switched ground. When you put the bike in neutral there is a copper connector on the gearchange mechanism that contacts the neutral switch and grounds it out to the engine.

66b483a60397efabd34b76a284918d6d.jpg

Side note I use that same gauge, I combined all the grounds from the backlight and 4 dummy lights into one wire and connected them all to ground at once, makes things a bit cleaner and I have had no problem with it.

Thanks man. I tried it but no dice. Then the battery died so I'll coke back to it.

On another note, my kill switch is wired up backwards. Kill makes it fun and run kills it. What the hell. Can anyone explain this? I switched the wires around but it didn't make a difference.

Did your neutral switch ever work? Hook up the light like that but take the end that's supposed to go to the neutral switch and ground it out to the frame somewhere. You sure the bikes in neutral? Test your hot wire going to the neutral light and make sure you got power.

Sounds like your killswitch has a messed up ground somewhere are you running OEM switches?

adventurco said:
Did your neutral switch ever work? Hook up the light like that but take the end that's supposed to go to the neutral switch and ground it out to the frame somewhere. You sure the bikes in neutral? Test your hot wire going to the neutral light and make sure you got power.

Sounds like your killswitch has a messed up ground somewhere are you running OEM switches?

Yeah the neutral light worked with the stock setup. But before I replaced the harness it had a lil diode connected to the switch wire. Not sure whether that would have made a difference or not... I posted about it once so I'll try and find the thread.

And that's interesting about the kill switch ground. Why would it cause it to work backwards though? I'm running stock switches at the moment.

You'll just blow fuse if you have a black (12v 'live') connected directly to light green/red trace. The neutral switch grounds
You should have black going to bulb then the 'ground side' of bulb going to neutral switch

crazypj said:
You'll just blow fuse if you have a black (12v 'live') connected directly to light green/red trace. The neutral switch grounds
You should have black going to bulb then the 'ground side' of bulb going to neutral switch

It completely went over my head that the neutral light needed black to power it. But I checked the wiring diagram after reading this and there it is. Works perfectly now, thanks PJ!

Now on to that fuckin kill switch...

el barto said:
It completely went over my head that the neutral light needed black to power it. But I checked the wiring diagram after reading this and there it is. Works perfectly now, thanks PJ!

Now on to that fuckin kill switch...

Didn't I say that a couple times up there? ;)

Greetings friends. Bit more work on the bike today - mostly tidying bits up. Tested the compression, getting 150 on the left and 160 on the right which is better than I was expecting. I've yet to adjust the valves so hopefully it should improve.

Now bare with me here:

As I previously mentioned, I'm having trouble with the stock kill switch. I bought a replacement switch and have finally got around to installing it but (surprise surprise) I'm having some trouble. It's THIS switch, and according to Common Motor it should fit seamlessly into my harness. It doesn't. For a start, there's a green/red coming from the starter button - on Common Motor it says it's a starter safety switch, but the only green/red in the harness is a spare line. The only way I can get the starter button to work is if I put the green/red to black for power. Once this is done, the starter button works, but the kill switch doesn't (it'll let the bike run on off/run/off).

Common Motor also says that the brown/white should go to the LEFT hand control brown/white for the hi/low beam switch. But in the original switch wiring, there's a brown/blue that goes to brown/blue in the harness. Basically I've tried a bunch of configurations and none of them are working for me. Any help or suggestions are as always much appreciated.

ZWEkzIc.png

Back
Top Bottom