New Throttle Help

The gaskets on my carbs were totally shot, like, totally. The accelerator pump boot was in tatters. I'll be keeping the needles and jets however and just give them a good clean, but from what I could tell Randakk's supply excellent gaskets and screws and that kind of thing to ensure a good rebuild. They don;t supply jets for the same reason Maritime mentioned - OEM jets can usually be cleaned up and are way more dialled in size-wise than aftermarket.

No idea how long it'll take, but I do know it took a few hours to give my carbs a cursory clean when I first bought the bike. I'm with you, new at this. I'll be setting aside a good few hours for the rebuild. I also bought Mike Nixon's booklet on how to disassemble, clean and reassemble the carbs which is an excellent resource, highly recommended.

thefish said:
Do you have an idea of how long this should take on average? Don't want to cut any corners, just want a better sense of what kind of time needs to be set aside for this.

4 carbs. Semi-dirty. Noob.

It takes as long as it takes LOL. generally if they are not filthy and the bike is running a couple hours to removed the brass and stuff soak them and blast the bodies with cleaner and then re-assemble. Don't pull them off the rack or seperate them, you should be able to get them clean still connected and then you don't lose the sync etc. Jimbo, the Randaaks kits are the best there is so you'll be good there. His kits have saved a lot of GL1000 carbs over the years.

thefish said:
Do you have an idea of how long this should take on average? Don't want to cut any corners, just want a better sense of what kind of time needs to be set aside for this.

4 carbs. Semi-dirty. Noob.

As long as it takes. Until they're clean. When they're done. Sometime between an hour and a month. When the bike is running properly, you'll know you've completed the job.

See a trend? ;)

But the reason I said the comment when you think they are clean, do it again is I have been caught more than once thinking they are all good only to install the carb back on and have an issue, pull it and find I missed a spot or something fell in the carb etc. just double check all the openings, One big spot to get really clean is the seat area for the float needles, even a small spec can cause the fuel to either not flow enough or flow way too much.

Cheers

Maritime

The Jimbonaut said:
I also bought Mike Nixon's booklet on how to disassemble, clean and reassemble the carbs which is an excellent resource, highly recommended.

Thanks, man! I'll be sure to check this out as well. Now to find a JIS screw driver locally...

Maritime said:
even a small spec can cause the fuel to either not flow enough or flow way too much.

Cheers

Maritime

Wow. That's a lot of pressure haha okay, so these parts are really that sensitive. I didn't know that.

As for adjusting the jets, I take it my service manual will guide me through that?

Do you have an impact driver? the kind you wack with a mallet? the bits in those kits are very close to JIS and it's a tool you want to own if you work on any old things with screws in them.

I have this set:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-impact-socket-set-38-pcs-0589190p.html#srp

I use the bits in this kit to remove JIS screws, then if they are stuck the handle can be hit with a mallet and it spins the screw out with each whack, the whacking of the handle also keeps the bit engaged in the screw head and helps prevent stripping it out.

I won't be adjusting the jets, just cleaning them. I'm not sure you'll need to adjust the jets unless you're planning to take out the airbox and replace them with pods. Otherwise just cleaning them should be enough, no? Again I'm no expert - hopefully someone else will say yay or nay!

If you aren't changing the airbox or exhaust you don't need to change jets, you may need after a cleaning to adjust the mixture screws etc, because as carbs get dirty sometimes people adjust the screws to get the idle dialed etc, once you clean the crud that was the real culprit you need to re-set that, the manual will have those instructions.

The Jimbonaut said:
I won't be adjusting the jets, just cleaning them. I'm not sure you'll need to adjust the jets unless you're planning to take out the airbox and replace them with pods. Otherwise just cleaning them should be enough, no? Again I'm no expert - hopefully someone else will say yay or nay!

There is no adjusting jets really. Just replacing. To clean a carb you really need to COMPLETELY dis-assemble them. Remove everything. Harbor Freight sells a great littl ultra sonic cleaner that does wonders for carb parts. You'll want to blow out all passages with air or carb cleaner as well. Remember too, the jets ans whatnot are brass. Brass is soft and easily damaged. Take your time, take pictures of your progress to use when rebuilding, and be thorough. It's not rocket surgery.

I bought an impact driver to get at some rusted out screws on one of my engine covers, worked a charm. I also bought mine from Canadian Tire but it only came with a couple of heads, and the'll only fit in the driver which itself was pretty ungainly. Can you get a JIS screwdriver from CT too?

VonYinzer said:
There is no adjusting jets really. Just replacing. To clean a carb you really need to COMPLETELY dis-assemble them. Remove everything. Harbor Freight sells a great littl ultra sonic cleaner that does wonders for carb parts. You'll want to blow out all passages with air or carb cleaner as well. Remember too, the jets ans whatnot are brass. Brass is soft and easily damaged. Take your time, take pictures of your progress to use when rebuilding, and be thorough. It's not rocket surgery.

Remember too, wear safety glasses when you spray the holes in the carb with cleaner, it burns like a bastard when you get it in the eyes, also when using air because a little piece of metal in the eye sucks, I know from experience.

The Jimbonaut said:
I bought an impact driver to get at some rusted out screws on one of my engine covers, worked a charm. I also bought mine from Canadian Tire but it only came with a couple of heads, and the'll only fit in the driver which itself was pretty ungainly. Can you get a JIS screwdriver from CT too?

Doubt it, but you could try, they may look at you like you have holes in your head. And yes the bits only fit the impact driver, not any regular handle. I just use the big extension as a handle until I need the actual impact.

Maritime said:
Remember too, wear safety glasses when you spray the holes in the carb with cleaner, it burns like a bastard when you get it in the eyes, also when using air because a little piece of metal in the eye sucks, I know from experience.

Ouch

Maritime said:
Doubt it, but you could try, they may look at you like you have holes in your head.

That's cool, I get that look a lot in Canadian Tire anyway

Nobody uses JIS screws anymore. As far as I know, you'll have to order a set. When you see the price, you'll understand. Lol

VonYinzer said:

Yay!! One person mentioned an Ultra Sonic cleaner...........a fine way of cleaning a carb without much effort, disassemble, drop parts in, let it buzz for a few hours, remove and wash, blow out all passages and reassemble

VonYinzer said:
Nobody uses JIS screws anymore. As far as I know, you'll have to order a set. When you see the price, you'll understand. Lol

yep they are only on old bikes, like pre-80's or mid 80's and older and if you replace the hardware after you remove it with then impact you don't need the JIS drivers

thefish said:
What if the air filter box is being replaced with pod filters?

you'll need to re-jet and depending on the carbs, it may be a lot of work. Get it running right stock before you attempt to add pods etc.

Back
Top Bottom