1976 Yamaha RD400

Givernewt

This space for rent
The voices in my head took a unanimous vote a couple months ago. Listed on Kijiji for $1000 1976 Yamaha RD400, purchased by me mid January.

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=B485EFBCDC9B7E67&resid=B485EFBCDC9B7E67%21309&authkey=ACZKutaBkUvQmOc[img]

Really hoping the picture links I'm doing work, otherwise most of this is gonna look pretty stupid.

Since I didn't actually have 1000 bucks just laying around the house I gave the guy 500, and a pretty sweet little 81 honda 125s

Listened to it idle after a few kicks with choke on, threw money at the guy, and brought it home . It's been muuuch too cold to do ANYthing here until recently, and as the weather warms up I will be sorting out what needs done for this thing to go on road later in the spring.

Attachments

• cb125s.JPG
    cb125s.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 603
Forgive me Tim, for the direct uploads.

Attachments

• WP_20140123_001.jpg
    WP_20140123_001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 403
  • WP_20140123_002.jpg
    WP_20140123_002.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 389
  • WP_20140123_003.jpg
    WP_20140123_003.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 371
Direct uploads are great - I have tons and tons of disk storage and a ridiculous bandwidth limit monthly so hosting pics is fine - I prefer it actually as the links never break.

I love that little 125s, but I would do that deal for such a sweet RD400 over and over again.

Any day you can trade a honda for a yamaha is a good day, nice bike

Nice looking RD and good deal on it. I'm surprised the seller actually did it to be honest, good for you though.

A little more info: Sold without ownership or any papers really. Just a bill of sale. Here in Ontario that means several hoops to jump thru with the government putting hands in my pocket for each. With any luck an affidavit and I'll be good for an ownership, but I'm guessing they may require an appraisal , and likely a statement from Yamaha confirming model year and make.

With that sorta thing to deal with, bikes without papers here tend to be quite a bit cheaper.

To continue! I've sorted what is most likely needed to not only make it run , but to get it certified as well. Barring disaster I'm shooting for roadworthy in about a month.

A carb removal/cleaning ( runs , but roughly)
Lube or replace sticky cables
Certifications here tend to be finicky, needs both mirrors
fork seals, dust caps
tires and tubes
battery
ANY kind of filtration better than none for intake
address tail light group not worky

Removed carbs (with throttle cable ) from spare motor. Cleaned, installing this week with the better pair of carb boots from spare. They were a bit cruddy looking in the throat, but bowl, needles and floats were spotless inside, not much cleaning required. All ports appear clear so far .

Fork seals, dust caps, tires and tubes have arrived, my brother helping me install this coming Saturday.

Last week I couldnt resist. Even running rough when I put the battery in and the unifoam filters, I HAD to take it 800 feet down the road and back. A lot of stumbling and blah blah blah raaaaa bbbbbrrrrraaa in first, up into 2nd and brrrRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP woohooo if this is even half as good as it's going to be when running healthy I'm very happy. It came on the pipe shortly into 2nd and I'm fairly sure the tire came off the ground at like, 1/4 throttle.
I think i had turned the choke off ( lever in up position ) but when returning the rpm would not go above 6 or 6.5k or so, figure that will be corrected with clean carbs, fresh gas and better boots.

Good news too, the front brake works not too bad, but the back one is a wee bit sticky. I may need to pick up pads (very thin) and I feel pretty confident I can clean up the caliper . Approaching the end of a dead end street at 50mph and suddenly recalling brakes not truly tested yet was a bit of a goosebumpy moment, but all is well.

I have 2 seats with this bike, and neither fits right. One is from what I can only guess is a 78 or 79 rd, the hinge brackets look right, but are slightly offset to what is on the bike. The pan is shaped such that relocating the brackets would be painful. If anyone out there has a seat not being used from a 76 or 77 rd 400, I really could use the pan, lots willing to pay fair price. Seat cushion /cover etc not important, but would be great if that was in good shape as well.

No pics to share here as yet, will remember to take lots while doing fork seals and tires and post em up.

Well, some progress, and a backwards step, and zero production, first up pics !

Attachments

• rear rim out.jpg
    rear rim out.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 345
  • rear off.jpg
    rear off.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 334
  • rear caliper.jpg
    rear caliper.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 327
  • old tires.jpg
    old tires.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 345
  • old tire.jpg
    old tire.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 411
  • forks.jpg
    forks.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 359
  • forkless.jpg
    forkless.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 365
  • the team.jpg
    the team.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 371
To the people that document their builds religiously in photos, my hats off to you. The entire time we were working on it, I rarely recalled to pick up my phone and take pictures.

So, rims off and cleaned inner surface, installed new tubes and tires . The correct tools really help here. When installing the tube but before making the final bead, we inflated tubes to 5 psi ish or there abouts, to remove any wrinkles. Opened up valve stem and made the tire on the rim. A bit more on this later.

Fork removal fairly trouble free, its the taking the forks apart that can be a giant pain in the ass. After foolin about trying hand tools like a chump, using an air impact to remove the lower cap screw really did the trick. Left the springs in to keep tension on all the hardware for that step, then removed those after.

Popped out the circlip and washer that holds the fork seal in place, and attempted a gentle pry on the seals themselves. Not much good. Tried a low flame on your average propane torch, applied to just one spot on the fork lower outside the seal area while steady prying pressure applied ( with the wheel wrench by the way, smooth no sharp edges here ) and that worked well. Install was a done delicately , with a impact socket as a seal pusher, and hammer for power.

Just a quick note on changing fork seals: When removing the lower fork cap screw that holds all the guts in, we were using a 8mm allen wrench, but didn't have the correct long reach driver for the impact gun. Used a cutting wheel on grinder to cut the "L" off the wrench and taped that into a 8mm socket, voila a driver!

Some attention given here to the disc brakes front and rear. If I'd really been planning well, I would have had new pads/shims ready to go. As it is, some wear left to go on the pads we had, so a light buffing with a dremel and sanding drum where the pistons ride in the caliper, much cleaning and scrubbing, then back on with the rims. New fluid and bleeding followed, finding at this time the front caliper bleed screw is pretty well chewed. We bled that out thru the banjo bolt ( not great but ok for now ) .

All above installed on the bike, I moved to chopping up some high temp reinforced hose ( similar to rad hose but better quality) for exhaust couplers. Installed , looks decent, pics to follow. Will update on this one , I'm watching for it to blow out, melt down, burst into flames etc. Approx 1/2 hour of running time, so far , so good.

Installed the spare carbs I'd cleaned, with the Unifoam pod filters I'd picked up, complete with a better throttle cable than what was on the bike. New plugs ( ngk br9es), new gas, and decided we could fit in a short test ride up the street.

Running still pretty lame. Starts easily enough, just really poor pickup out of the hole, yet easily revs when not loaded. Shows signs of opening up on the pipe, then bogs , coughs etc. Decided thats mostly likely due to stock needles, no airbox, and those cheesy pod filters letting in too much air without compensating on the fuel end of things.

The mikuni's on this have a "choke" that is actually more of a fuel enrichening circuit in the carbs. After some back and forth with my brother, I sent him up the road with the choke on , and when he came back he said it seemed better. I'm taking this as confirmation on my "not enough fuel for air" theory.

It was around this time I noticed on MY return the front tire had gone flat. Sure as shit we've knicked the inner tube on the install, and figure its just the new tire holding air in on the non-existant bead on the rims. We'd been at it all day and decided to call it there.

Lots of stuff still to do, with a good handful of things to RE do. Still very encouraged by the progress made, and hope to sort this sucker out soon. Thanks for reading.

Thanks Jenn, we're nowhere near pro, for full disclosure.

Any job is so much better with a working buddy or two, where one gets stalled or held up, the other has a work around.

Heyyyy Jenn, YOU've got a working buddy don't ya? haha

Update: Found some time to fiddle with the carbs. Going on gut feeling of too lean, adjusted float height from 20-21 mm to the more correct level of 15-17 mm ( according to the literature I have anyways ).

Moved needle in throttle slides "up" ( thats the circlip down btw ) one position, for more fuel. I know, it's sorta bad to make more than one change at a time when sorting this kind of thing out. Makes it hard to point and say AH HA, there's your problem.

Again, took a very short very illegal ride up the street and back just now, and wow what a difference! A bit slobbery off the get go, then as it starts to clear out actually gets on the pipe in 1st, 2nd and just up into 3rd and ran out of street. Similar on the way back.

I'm very much encouraged by these results , but am concerned that I've had to richen it this much to run. It really makes me think I've got some old leaky seals in there. Am hopeful I can iron out a nice idle in the next few days and try spraying engine with something flammable while running. If the idle picks up it's likely the cases have sucked in the extra fuel I've sprayed it with. Not a proper leak down test I know, but it's all I got for now.

Assuming no other disaster, this leaves the wiring for the tail/dash lights as my only concern. Some wires hangin out in space, others clearly hacked into etc. Have picked up a small handful of correct fuses, but would rather be dealing with the easier to get automotive fuses.

Oh well, encouraged and happy over all. Any input here appreciated, still pretty new to 2 strokes.

I had an RD400 in '76. I don't remember it ever going "on the pipe" like most 2 strokes. Mostly smooth power all the way (Ok, no low-end torque). It did have stock pipes (all stock except lower bars, actually).

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Agreed, my version of "on the pipe" is when it comes alive, versus the slightly stumbling/slobbering it does when first rolling on.

This also has stock pipes, and that reminds me I should likely pull the baffles and clean in there too. I understand that plugged baffles lead to higher than normal piston crown temps? Sounds like a bad deal to me.

Back
Top Bottom