Tappet Loosening on its Own

I've seen the threaded tappet hole oval out. You could thread it in tight, even get the locknut on. Then, when the engine ran, the tappet shifted back and forth in the oval and it would slowly loosen up.

deviant said:
I've seen the threaded tappet hole oval out. You could thread it in tight, even get the locknut on. Then, when the engine ran, the tappet shifted back and forth in the oval and it would slowly loosen up.

Like i said get one more good adjustment and weld it, then next time if the followers are sweet, have a set of Britt mushroom heads and tap ready to cut in some new threads... Those Britt tappers are just slightly larger :eek:

1_cb1ccc3b-c5da-43b0-8cd7-18e14f8f1761_large.jpeg

Tune-A-Fish said:
Like i said get one more good adjustment and weld it, then next time if the followers are sweet, have a set of Britt mushroom heads and tap ready to cut in some new threads... Those Britt tappers are just slightly larger :eek:

nice.

xb33bsa said:
i only mentioned the egged out rocker tip threrads because i lhave seen that issue on these boards at least once it was discussed ,if the cam and follower were in that sad a shape ,to be knashing wearing knurling and galling,and continually loosening then i would think the oil would shine like a bass boat under the bug light in a 7-11 parking lot
all sparkly like just sayin'
.so op is your oil all metal flaky ?even a little or not at all ? you may need to drain it to look close and bust open the filter , see if it serves as witness ,and check them female rocker tip threads,,,,....,,,,,..//.'
motogp, the penultyimate round,sepang, up next :D

My oil looks pretty good to be honest. However, I didn't drain it. I just checked the stick with a white rag. From there the oil looks brand new! Also, I remember tightening the locknut up pretty well (not over-tight) and it stayed pretty solid. I doubt it's stripped.

deviant said:

How quickly would it loosen? Mine gets loose with about 15 minutes of riding.

I had a 360 that did it twice- once after about 15 minutes and once after several days. I replaced the rocker and it didn't happen again.

the meen average time of loosening can be extrapoledated somewhat,from deviants observations, the calculation is quite simple, a child could do it, however you proly should get the rego papers and have the pink in hand

Tune-A-Fish said:
Adapt and overcome, ride or watch yer buds ride away... :eek:

yup, however, if my bike is broken and my buddies ride without me, it gives me time to go hit up their ol' ladys....or daughters....or BOTH!
thumbsup.gif

barnett468 said:
yup, however, if my bike is broken and my buddies ride without me, it gives me time to go hit up their ol' ladys....or daughters....or BOTH!
thumbsup.gif

Holy crap....Barns bike is broke...better lock the doors and hide the dogs and chickens!

graphics-laughing-867787.gif

barnett468 said:
Holy crap....Barns bike is broke...better lock the doors and hide the dogs and chickens!

graphics-laughing-867787.gif

But we all know he likes the pee nut buttr boys better... No girls are in danger :eek:

Tune-A-Fish said:
A regular at the rocky horror show eh? ;D ;D :eek:

Yes, because it's the only movie besides Deliverance and Broke Back Mountain that will let me in with just my fish net thong.

MR915 said:
Once again....I disagree based on my experience with air cooled motorcycles.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you.
Majority of parts on old Honda's had a 100,000 mile design life.
If correctly serviced at regular intervals even the pistons and rings will last for that mileage.
If operated at high rpm for extended periods, the piston rings only last about 10~30,000 miles (from experience and dealer workshops)
The only time there are real issues is through total neglect - quite common in USA where motorcycles are seen as toys or 'not a Harley' and 'disposable Jap crap'

the weak spot in all them is the rubber bits in the cam chain sliders and rollers
i am not convinvced that is it simply old acidy motor oil that deteriorates them its got to have a lot to do with simply the amount of time that rubber has been exposed to petro along with the heat cycles age heat cycles and oil exposure 100,000 miles ? it depends how many seperate heat cycles happened and how many times the time clock ticked it would haved to be the perfect storm of perfect for a 1968 cb350 or a 1970 honday 750 to have been run 100,000 miles with the same rubbers in it today,intact, really is an impossibility , and the only way certain things like the plain bushing cam on the not ideal aluminum surface(it is too hard to allow for particles to embed like a babbit) and the rocker pad cam interface,could last that milage is with a limited number of cold starts
if there was an example on this planet we would know about it

Yep old is old, the best way to dissolve solid oil is with more oil and they ain't Toyota's, but people are usually more of a cause of failure that the durability of the parts

Back
Top Bottom