help needed computer illiterate here

Just junk windoze and switch to a Linux distro.
I've been using Linux Mint and Ubuntu for last year - 18 months

I run Linux on a dozen machines. I still have a few XP boxes driving legacy stuff, and one Windows 7 rig for Photoshop. I only boot the latter on those rare occasions when I can't get the job done with Gimp, though.

Last year my gf bought a Dell XPS laptop. Pretty slick hardware, but after a few months she'd had enough of Windows 8. What a dog. I installed Xubuntu on it for her and she's been happy since.

I'm not a fan of Ubuntu but I use Linux Mint heavily on desktops/laptops and have many servers running Debian.

Windows is going away and being replaced by a privacy nullifying, telemetry tracking and bandwidth sucking app store known as Windows 10.

He says he's computer illiterate and y'all are recommending Ubuntu and Linux?! Seriously, y'all are just being cruel now. ???

That original password is stored in the CMOS settings of your machine, which can be accessed immediately after booting the machine. The problem is, your second screen might not work until you get into the CMOS settings, or worse yet, might not work at all even once you get to the CMOS settings. However, it's worth a shot...

As soon as you boot the machine, try pressing one of the following keys: DEL, F1, F2, F10 or F12
Those are the most common keys to access CMOS. If you're lucky, it'll come up on your screen and ask for the password. Then you might be able to see why your password isn't working, hopefully.

rauns20 said:
He says he's computer illiterate and y'all are recommending Ubuntu and Linux?! Seriously, y'all are just being cruel now. ???

I put my 70 year old-ish parents on Linux Mint several years ago and they are doing great with very little help.

Have you tried booting to safe mode, when powering up press the F8 key over and over and see if the boot options screen comes up.

canyoncarver said:
I put my 70 year old-ish parents on Linux Mint several years ago and they are doing great with very little help.

Don't get me wrong, I like Linux just as much as the next tech guy... I just didn't think that dropping a new OS on him was the answer to his question. 8)

rauns20 said:
I just didn't think that dropping a new OS on him was the answer to his question. 8)

No, but seeing as xb mentioned his distaste for Windows 8 a couple times, it's cool for crazypj to bring up an alternative. I never recommend any OS to anybody for fear that I'll end up supporting them, of course. That would be insane. I thought we were just transitioning the thread into a display of solidarity for Linux, which is really where every conversation about computers should head, eventually. Ha ha.

canyoncarver said:

I did the same for my mom and dad. Everything they do is browser based, so why not? On Windows it's just a matter of time before they unwittingly install malware. Linux I doubt even they can screw up.

hay man,you all, could you speak english please :-\

:D ah, its all good info
i havent had a chance to try the latest suggestions but i do find this all interesting
the discussions evolveing seam healthy enuf maybe ill learn something ,carry on

restart immediately and "repeatedly" don't hold it down... tap the F8 key, if you get a screen, start in "safe mode" if that works I can show you in settings how you can have it never sleep again but needs a password after 30 minutes - an hour idle time.

steveinwa said:
Just remember it's your computers FATE (F8)

Yes, and eBay always has 10 or ten million 7 machines for under $100 Pawn shops have towers for $25-$100 every day... a side of BACKUP! maybe :eek:

I have issues with Linux, but, I had bigger issues with Windows ;D
I blame the NSA because I'm a 'foreign national' living in USA (it does seem a strange coincidence when Windows, Ubuntu and Mint crash needing new hard drives within 20 hrs of each other?)
Also, I'm a motorcycle mechanic not a tech person so I just hit buttons. Linux is easier to play with than Win 7 or Win 8 (my wife has to have them for work) I'm running this off a Debian live disc at present, having a look at the drives that 'failed' in desktops and laptop
XB, most of the Linux magazines have a disc every month you can just boot computer with (open CD tray, place disc in there, re-boot and have a play with a live distro) Pretty sure anyone who uses Linux regularly will have a ton of disc's with various flavours of Linux and could send you a few to play with. free stuff can be a lot of fun (not as good as riding in the woods though 8) )

crazypj said:
I have issues with Linux, but, I had bigger issues with Windows ;D
I blame the NSA because I'm a 'foreign national' living in USA (it does seem a strange coincidence when Windows, Ubuntu and Mint crash needing new hard drives within 20 hrs of each other?)
Also, I'm a motorcycle mechanic not a tech person so I just hit buttons. Linux is easier to play with than Win 7 or Win 8 (my wife has to have them for work) I'm running this off a Debian live disc at present, having a look at the drives that 'failed' in desktops and laptop
XB, most of the Linux magazines have a disc every month you can just boot computer with (open CD tray, place disc in there, re-boot and have a play with a live distro) Pretty sure anyone who uses Linux regularly will have a ton of disc's with various flavours of Linux and could send you a few to play with. free stuff can be a lot of fun (not as good as riding in the woods though 8) )

jeeez guys or gal ,you dont have t pile on with all kinds of madeup words :-[
i already feel like a dope :-\ just assking its bad ednuff you make up just words but make believe companies everybody knows its the google that makes runs all computers
you dont even have t plug it in there listening
right then, i can tell when mutherfuckers are fucking with my head "linux" yeah like that is a word or a chip .kinda good thing you didnt "motherbored" me thats an old one im onto that
but then again i would have known from the begining i was just the bud of some twisted chat room joke
a snoopy cartoon character ha ha ha very funny that is pretty creative yall must have a lotta time on yer hands
i just axed for lil help then you all got t make me feel abused hurt,in fact this is considered nowadays an act of violence against me.,,,,,, ,, i think maybe i will sue sue for damnnages ,the you ,have put on me ...sue you ,all for punitave, damages

iatethepeach said:
Punitive damages? I'm a lawyer, what did I do to you?

If you are a lawyer, you know he didn't have to do anything to file a compliant. Winning a judgement may be a tough row to hoe.

iatethepeach said:
Punitive damages? I'm a lawyer, what did I do to you?

i had a license from a friend ...punitive damagers....nothing too bad..i ran into a curb a pole then some people...and my shoes fell off
and i cant find my glasses....

Back
Top Bottom