Front sprocket removal question??

Alright guys, I worked on the engine again tonight thinking maybe I'd have better luck. I heated up the area around the alignment dowels and tried sliding the cover off with the case winning another battle. the dowels are sliding in and out of the alignment holes but it wont come off the shifter shaft, it looks like the shaft is whats holding it on. Any ideas on some way I could get it "unstuck" from the shifter shaft? Also I shined a light around the shifter shaft and none of it came through inside the casing, does this sound like the reason the case wont come off?

Ive got the same issue with my cl350, that damn thing wont budge. Tried everything you have and still no go. Ill give her another go tonight I am just trying not to break the damn thing right now. May go to more drastic measures.

If the cover is anything like my cl360 the clutch cable is there as well? I'm just trying to think outside the box? Is that stuck? I know there isn't an actual bolt but maybe that's stuck or bent? I remember lightly tapping mine out with a rubber mallet. It does have a gasket so it could just really be stuck. My oil cover was really stuck on with the original gasket. My guess is it needs brute force.

If you don't take it off 'square' it will stick between dowels and gearchange shaft.
Pry from underneath and pull from top to wiggle it

Guys I've tried it all and mine is still stuck. My gearshift is stuck too, I cant get it to change gears so I'm not for sure whats wrong there. I'm out of ideas and I dont know what to do to get that off

If you fit the gear change lever, can you move it up and down? (It isn't seized into cover?) Yamah had issues with the 750/850 twins where gearshift would seize in outer cover/guide

What am I supposed to cut wtih the angle grinder??

And with the lever on the shifter wouldnt change gears at all. I even hit the gear shifter with a hammer up and down and it didnt move at all! Could this be something in the trans or just the shifter shaft siezed to the gasket? How could I tell where its held up at?

Thats a good bit of information! Im glad I only hit it maybe five times total. Alpha do you have any hints or tricks on getting this thing off? I've stuck wood in there, sprayed the shifter with PB Blaster where the shaft goes through the cover. Pry bars on top and bottom trying to break it free. But when the case moves the shifter shaft moves with it.

It's time for heat
Put the screws back in first then use a propane torch and heat cover around shifter shaft.
It really sounds like it's seized in cover although you may have damaged shifter behind clutch basket.
A FBH is a BAD THING if you don't know what your doing (or good if you just want to smash stuff)
We also need some pics so we are not guessing what your up to

Whats putting the screws back in gonna do? And I'll put some heat to it, along with taking some pics.
And once I pull the cylinders off ill flip it over and pull the trans case and see if there is anything binding up in there.

Putting the screws back in will prevent cover getting damaged while your freeing off gear change shaft.
Heat, soak with oil, repeat as necessary.

about now, it's time to get someone who has a clue to look at it before something gets broken and costs even more money to fix.
You don't seen to have the mechanical aptitude to remove a cover so it will be far cheaper to pay someone

crazypj said:
about now, it's time to get someone who has a clue to look at it before something gets broken and costs even more money to fix.
You don't seen to have the mechanical aptitude to remove a cover so it will be far cheaper to pay someone

I'm inclined to agree.

If your talking about spraying it and soaking it with pb blaster or wd-40 I've already done that. More than once. I apologize for not understanding what you meant.

At the risk of repeating what's already been said, I agree with ADC and crazypj - the only thing it could be hanging up on would be the shift shaft. Either take a step back and look closely at how that shaft is fouling the cover and think carefully about how you're going to overcome that without damaging the motor or take it in to a shop for a hand.

From what I can see the shifter shaft appears to be bent closer to the front of the bike. Like I said before I believe the bike has been laid down. On the left side of the bike

jr75cb360 said:
From what I can see the shifter shaft appears to be bent closer to the front of the bike. Like I said before I believe the bike has been laid down. On the left side of the bike

So - if you want to be able to reuse the cover, you're not going to want to foul the hole through which the shift shaft runs, as it helps to keep it straight. Were it me, I would consider cutting the shift shaft in order to remove the cover (as it's going to need to be replaced anyway). I expect ADC or crazypj will weigh in on that, though.

Back
Top Bottom