xs 650 metal filings in filter

montessa172

Been Around the Block
Oil change time and I have non magnetic (metallic) filings in the clutch cover filter. Anyone have any ideas on the source? Engine has 4000 miles on a complete top end rebuild, cam chain tensioner and guide were replaced.. No filings in the oil itself or on either drain plug.. Pulling apart the sump plate cover and clutch cover/oil pump next, I'm thinking oil pump chewing up the cover or worst case something going on with the crank / transmission.. Feel free to redirect me if I'm off course.. Thanks in advance..

Edited for brain working faster than fingers...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364752868.907144.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364752868.907144.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 325
Did you mean non-metallic, (contrary to the thread title,) or non magnetic?
That stuff looks like it might be from the cam chain tensioner. The first 1,000 miles or so, a lot of material has to wear off of the tensioner for the chain to bed into it. Once the chain has worn its grooves, and the rollers of the chain are contacting it full-face, the rate of wear dramatically drops.

To see if it is aluminum, put some of it in muriatic acid. If it's aluminum, the acid will attack it vigorously and get all fizzy. Keep away from ignition sources while you do this, because the gas fizzing out of that brew will be hydrogen gas.

My error, non magnetic. Absolutely metallic lol... Cam chain tensioner and guide have a for lack of a better term, plastic like, coating almost like umhw material, what is in the filter doesn't resemble this... What your saying makes sense though, I'll check everything else I can and run it for a few hundred km and check the filters again... Cam chain could be running misaligned too I guess.. I'm probably pretty close to a run it and see what happens or pull it and tear it down decision..

Re: Re: xs 650 metal filings in filter

montessa172 said:
Engine has 4000 miles on a complete top end rebuild...

Is this your first oil change post-rebuild?

Cam chain guide. Its the long one in the front of the block- very common for the plastic to fail and then you start wearing into the aluminum bracket. Mikes XS carries then as well as 650 Central.

Sump plate is coming off next, if its is the cam chain guide then I hope to find the ground up remains of the plastic in the bottom end.. Oil pump and clutch side of the engine are fine. Pump rotors are a little scored but nowhere near critical..

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364760162.904547.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364760162.904547.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 390
Nothing - zero in the sump filter. No plastic, no metal. I think I should probably just pull it and tear it down.. Might be nothing significant, if it is something and I run it as is then shit could get expensive... Such is life..

That oil pump doesn't look great to me. Although I'm no expert. I've got one similar off my CB, and it was essentially toast.

Back
Top Bottom