New to me GR650X Tempter

Thanx Big Rich .
Starter works.
Got the cover off and the spring assembly in the secondary is toast .
Tried to upload a photo of what I need to photobucket but its having issues.
Maybe you know what Im talking about anyways.
Got one :)

#8 here
http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=94158&category=Motorcycles&make=SUZUKI&year=1983&fveh=2125

Glad the starter motor works for you! Fyi: the bike it came from has about 4k miles on it, and the brushes were replaced in the motor about 750 miles before now.

Sorry to thread jack, Tuner.
But Rich, do you know what kind of current the starter is supposed to draw when cranking? I couldn't find anywhere in my workshop manual about starter draw specs and I'm considering changing my starter relay when I relocate my electrics. I have a really nice, 70a relay, just not sure if I'm going to cook it the first time I try a cold start.

Oh....sorry Cookie, I don't have the slightest idea. If you can find the specs from a Suzuki of a similar year, it should be the same across the board.

Like I said though, I'm just speculating.

Good enough for me; thanks man. If I an find anything I'll post it here.

And now, back to our regular schedules programming!

Cookie said:
Good enough for me; thanks man. If I an find anything I'll post it here.

And now, back to our regular schedules programming!

True to my word, I found something. I've had more time to go through my service manual and I've found the current draw specs for the starter. It takes 80 amps to start our bikes. In case any Tempter lovers out there have a slow/hard crank issue.

Hey Tuner, any progress?

Just finally got back to it . Its been a whirlwind of paying work at the shop the last 2 months with me being booked out a good 2 weeks in advance but now its starting to taper off and I was able to spend some time with the bike today.
Definetly was the secondary has the new one comes out great when you spin it by hand and my old one , which I had no idea what it really did till I got the new to me one , thanx BR , is siezed as one unit.
Well when I took old seconadary out I dropped the shim and it fell behind the starter clutch.
I got the 18mm bolt off the end but cant get the starter clutch to budge off the shaft so I can locate the shim.
All my gear puller tips are to large.
Any ideas ?
I have tried to lightly tape the outside diameter with a rubber mallet to no avail and dont wanna put to much force behind it to wedge it out.
?

There's gotta be a way to get that shim out without removing any other parts.....

As far as the starter gear on the end of the crank goes, I can't help much. Over on the GSResources though there is a member by the name Super that has recently had a GR case split open - and he did get pretty involved. Might want to seek him out?

I just need to get another set of gear pullers so I can grind the backside of the arms off and allow them to reach behind.
Its all good. Time to get creative :)

OK , finally got it off only to find ... it wasnt back there . Whats that leave .... ? Its gotta be in the oil pan!
Well I needed to drain and fill anyways so I pulled the filter , which was haggard , drained the oil and dropped the pan.
Low and behold , there it was.

Glad to hear it man!

Since you're in there with the oil pan off, I recommend unbolting the screen on the oil pump and cleaning it off. Usually there are little chunks stuck in there. One GR motor I have had a twig or something stuck to the screen.......

Ok so its all back together after getting the parts from BikeBandit except the oil pan gasket and Im have inclinded to RTV it like factory subaru and VW pans are .
Good thing .... blipped the starter button and we have contact :)
YAY
Also , how many quarts of oil for the tempter ?

It's actually cast onto the crankcase, beside the oil fill hole. it's 2.4 liters for an oil drain/fill, 2.8 liters for/filter change and 3 liters for overhaul.I'd start at 2.4 and check it in the sight hole once it's back in the bike and on the center stand.

Well . Got it all together with fresh gas . Turns over ... no start.
Gave it some starting fluid and it ran till fluid ran out . Checked float bowls and there full. Looks like its carb tear down time.

Oh YEAH ... SHes is running!
Got it thru 4 gears . Pops a bit but I think it still needs the carbs cleaned and synced but she sounds really good.
Mind you I bought it without hearing it .
My neighbor at the shop is an old moto guy and he said it sounds really good.
Stoked.
Bullet turns and bar end mirrors ordered and while I wait Ill run her thru a tank of gas and see if we cant clear up the pop pop at cruise with some clean fuel.
STOKED!

Combination of things .....
One , INOP choke cable - opened the choke by hand and ultimately that was the issue .
Two - stuck needles in carbs ... that cleared up after manually operating the choke.

Back
Top Bottom