78 kz400 cafe build

What color should I paint my headlight bucket?????

• Red

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • White

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Silver

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Silver with red and white stripes (match tank)

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jb weld seems to have fixed my tank issue (for now) Drilled sprocket cover. I tried to keep is simple. Bar end mirrors installed.
102_5075.jpg
102_5076.jpg

Cosmetically this bike is awesome. I hope u can square away all the mechanical issues so you can ride and enjoy it.

Thanks! I rode it a little yesterday and everything felt good. I'm checking bolts and fluids then I'm hitting the road some more
neeko1979 said:
Cosmetically this bike is awesome. I hope u can square away all the mechanical issues so you can ride and enjoy it.

Now that I know everything works i decided to give her a tune up. I'm sure it needs jetted and a carb sync, I will get there. I gapped and installed new plugs. I checked point gap and cam chain tension. Then I got out the timing light, fired her up and checked/set the timing and checked the advance. Man she sure does sound nice and smooth now. Her is a picture of the plugs I took out. They look a little on the lean(hot) side. One more grey-ish, one more tan-ish. (in my opinion.) What do the pros think? Is my jetting way off? Does anyone know a good source for Kei-hin jets?
102_5077.jpg

Attachments

• 102_5077.JPG
    102_5077.JPG
    426 KB · Views: 257
hi just read this all the way through, excellent build very impressed with you eye for detail, hope you get your jetting issue sorted, ever thought of making a clear airbox out of perspex? that way you still get to see the filters but it richens it up a bit.
im rebuilding a kz750 but have just bought another project.
dont want to blog your thread etc, by all means ask me to remove the link if you want.
here is the link
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=28492.0
Good luck and all the best
Mark.

Thanks, It seems to be running quite well. I just want to make sure its not running lean. it idles smooth and doesnt backfire or pop to bad. I dont think I will have much trouble with jetting. This is the fun part now. I made my creation Now I get to perfect and fine tune it.

That looks like its going to be a sweet bike. gotta love the big bores. Thanks for checking out my build
pugeyed said:
hi just read this all the way through, excellent build very impressed with you eye for detail, hope you get your jetting issue sorted, ever thought of making a clear airbox out of perspex? that way you still get to see the filters but it richens it up a bit.
im rebuilding a kz750 but have just bought another project.
dont want to blog your thread etc, by all means ask me to remove the link if you want.
here is the link
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=28492.0
Good luck and all the best
Mark.

Pjmotorsports.com for jets. Im running 80 primary and 105 secomdary mains. I am stock exhaust with pods. It runs great. Their jets are cheap and the shipping is crazy fast. Cant wait for the video. Good job dude.

I went to pjmotorsports and they only listed primaries for the kz400. Did you have trouble finding secondary jets?
reelinfeele said:
Pjmotorsports.com for jets. Im running 80 primary and 105 secomdary mains. I am stock exhaust with pods. It runs great. Their jets are cheap and the shipping is crazy fast. Cant wait for the video. Good job dude.

Go to the keihin jets page and scroll throught the single jets. I had to measure mine for physical size, forget what it was. Once i figured out the size height and width of the jet it was easy. They are one of the "small round" jets. It wont say for bike specific. You have to search it. If you call he will just point you to model search, nice guy but not willing to give you wrong answer, which is cool if you ask me. They are the jet in front of needle main, engine side.

Ok thanks. Its nice that they post all the dimensions. Yeah you can't blame them for not wanting to sell people the wrong jets.

Re: 78 kz400 cafe build (SHORT RIDE VIDEO)

I will be making a "Good" video as soon as I get all the bugs worked out. I just thought you guys might like a little sneak peek and listen.
Tonight I will be tearing the carbs of and ordering jets.Movie

Well once you know they work, let me know what the specs are. I'm still a bit lean with my peashooters and stock air box...but they are jetted pretty lean from the get go.

Back
Top Bottom