Ground Resistance

Re: CB750-F3 'Filthy Beast'

CresentSon said:
Hey Raf,

I've been watching your build too. Can't wait to see that thing finished. Much cred man. 8)

yeah man! we 77-78 supersporters are rare! always nice to see others wrenching on these years. a lot more challenging to fab parts than buy ones that bolt on like earlier predecessors. can't wait to see you make the real tweaks to your 'filthy beast'. ;)

CresentSon said:
Chris,
How do you know the changes aren't happening on the bike???

It really doesn't take long in photoshop and it helps me visualize. About 1 - 2 hours on initial mock-up, and each additional shot take 10 mins. The main issues keeping me in the design phase are:

1. I'm moving next week so tools and parts are packed up.... :(
2. I don't have trained eyes, so having a plan is crucial. Plus it keeps me motivated.
3. I have to get parts and tools lined up, so knowing where I'm going determines where I am.
4. I like playing with photoshop when I can't get in my shop.

One might also say my time spent on DTT is a waste, but I have learned the little I know from this and other similar sites. I gain just as much knowledge from the mock-up process as reading and asking questions. Just because I'm not as advanced in all of this, doesn't mean my time spent is any less valid... But i do respect the ideas I see you contribute, and I'm always willing to learn.

That might be a bit presumptuous on my part; my apologies. But do understand that you're in the projects documentation section and have only posted project comps, no physical work photos. So you see where the confusion is :)

Packed tools suck; I know what you you mean. I do think you you should consider how much input you solicit or you run the danerous risk of having a bike designed-by-commitee. It's not too dissimilar to what manufacturers do when they take concepts to focus groups. I've built a few cafes, and gently suggest you build what you like. When I built my first cafe(http://www.motofiaccone.com/moto/40-cl350-cafe-racer), I had no idea what I was doing. I developed a taste and moved on from there. I'd have to go waaay back through all my posts, but I don't ever remember asking for design direction.

You'll get it; just run with what you like. Just opinions. No offence intended.

--Chris

chrisf said:
... But do understand that you're in the projects documentation section and have only posted project comps, no physical work photos. So you see where the confusion is :)...

--Chris

"Even the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step." I think you above most would agree that design is part of the project. I can guarantee the work pics and commentary are on the way. I am in no way offended, but conferring with those who may have more experience is not design by committee. I'm sure you've noticed my divergence from the norm, and I only keep what I like.

...and if you don't mind, I'm working on a logo design for custom aluminum tank badges and will probably ask your advice in particular. I really like your logo design even though I'm not big on bunnies.

I'd love to know the back story on that by the way...

TIA

#3 drilled with the low bars seems to be the best to me. However, I can't look at a Honda 4 and not think about four independent flat black megaphones ala RC166. I'd also look at a Ducati SS750-style quarter fairing. The headlight mount on #3 drilled is far too high and sticks out like an antennae. My last suggestion (and the hardest to do) would be some indentations in the tank for your knees. I'm sure they're a bitch to do right, but they look great. It seems a bit monochrome--are you thinking of color at all?

As far as "color" goes, probably not. I do however plan on breaking up the monochrome. The final design will incorporate more brushed aluminum and possibly some gun metal gray. The engine will get blasted, and repainted. I haven't decided what to leave blasted and what to paint. I'm researching sliding the forks up, so that may help with the headlight, but we'll see. I'm gonna stay away from the knee dents though, at least for now.

As far as 4-4 megaphones, I want something cleaner and less bulky. I like the 4-1 straight that came with it. I just hope I can salvage the set up. I'll post pics of the other side later to give you a peek.

CB750-F3 'Filthy Beast'... NOW WITH PROGRESS!

Finally getting to turn some wrenches. This monster has been on the back burner since the move, 4 long f'ing months. For those in the know the new job is going great, and I am out of the prerequisite field training program.

As far as the progress first a gratuitous photochop of the latest desired incarnation and then the action shots...

Attachments

• DSCF0431.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 719
  • DSCF0430.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 711

I found the bondo from the PO while prepping the tank. I had to do some filler work of my own to clean it up, although I realized 3/4 of the way through that I'm using bedliner on the tank so it was unnecessary.

Attachments

• DSCF0460.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 703

I also went ahead and chopped the rear of the frame for a hoop. I have a weird idea to fabricate it with rebar instead of tube. Is there any reason that it won't weld to the frame?

The points cover needed some love too, so I hit that as well. Literally, I pounded the stuffing out of it with a ball peen hammer and bondo'd what was left.

Attachments

• DSCF0432.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 694
  • moto__0005.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 710
  • moto__0006.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 693

After filler goes the high-temp aluminum engine enamel. I still need to smooth it out a little more, but I wanted to see what I had so far.

After I finished playing around I decided to finish the tear down. Had to do the one man lean to get the engine out. It isn't as easy as some of you guys made it seem, but I got it tore down despite your misrepresentations.

This next one is kinda sad. :'(

Don't worry little guy, daddy's gonna get you back together.

In retrospect I was trying to get some smaller tasks done to tide me over until I hit the bulk of the project after Christmas (hey I live on a cop's salary and I've got lots of kids), but one thing led to the other and the last shot is how she sits.

No turning back now I guess..?

With all that said here's where we're at boys and girls.

- To Do

Clean the crap out of everything!
Drill Rotors
Rebuild '76 Carbs
Wrap Exhaust

-Build LIST

Rectifier - New unit from b.o.x.n.i.f.e.
Regulator - Auto Zone prt#: VR730 $15.99
New Dash - with switches and radioshack led's
Seat Pan, Cover, and Bump Stop
Rear hoop and side covers
Break Light & LP Combo Bracket
clean up wiring - <~shudders~>

Still trying to decide on logo to cut into side covers...

-To Paint

Aluminum Engine Enamel:
Fork Lowers - Wheels - Top End - Bottom End - Clocks (upper half) - Shock bodies - Carbs - Chain Gaurd

Bed liner - matte black and textured
Tank - Clocks (lower half) - Shock Springs - Headlight Housing - Front and Inner Rear Fender

Black Engine Enamel:
Jugs - Drag Pipe - Misc Bits and Pieces

- To Buy

Drag Bars
Pods
Winkers
Chain, Filter, and Oil

Undecided on whether to do gloss black frame or bedliner...?
Did I miss anything?

Re: CB750-F3 'Filthy Beast' Now with PROGRESS!

Little problem to add to the list I forgot to mention...

During the move the Beast was kept in less than favorable conditions for a short time. The end result is this came out of the tank. I have started the hand full of hardware method, and a lot more loose junk broke free, but now I'm having trouble getting the damn nuts and such out of the tank.

If I knew I'd have to cut the tank in half anyway I could have just used a wire wheel. ;D jk

I have also been tampering with logo designs between sanding and scraping the tank, frame and tins. I'll try to get some sketches up this morning. I have just started back to night shift and last night was a real wooley booger.

Here are the sketches I promised. I want to include the shield knot. It is supposed to stand for guardian or protector, and it's Celtic. The wolf in the last one has always kinda been my totem. The crescent and the arrow are just reoccurring symbols that I've latched on to. The belt buckle was just inspiration. I'm not real sure where or how I plan on using the one I choose, but I'm enjoying watching the ideas evolve without forcing it. Guess we'll see what happens together.

We'll talk about it later, I'm tired...
Good night, or morning or whatever.!?

Attachments

• BALTIC KNOT SMALL.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 652
  • Wolfie.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 656
'Filthy Beast' - Might Need an Intervention!

Ok guys, this is turning into a monologue. Am I too far from the norm here, not tickling your fancies, nobody has anything to add? Well tough... I hear what your thinking. This guy's off his shell, and ruining a decent bike he'll never finish. But I'll show you, I'll show you all. Hahahahah Muuuhuuhahahaaa (maniacal laughter ensues). Your gonna regret it in like 20 years when I get this thing finished and it is all like scary fast and what not. The bed liner alone will hold it together long after your ride is dust.

I can see it now. I'll come rumbling up and scare your kids and your girl will be all "man Cresent's madman cafe is soooooo hot. His wife is like the luckiest chick in the world. What ever happened to your motorcycle". Then she'll look at you all mad like.

She'll be so taken by my ride she might take a long time coming break from picturing <b>Loco Leon, Dr. J, or Tim</b> for a night and just picture the Filthy Beast. And you'll be all glad that I took off the 2 up and passenger pegs so she won't be able to jump on the back right then and there, which would cause a killer cat fight between her and Mrs. CresentSon. That would be cool though, 'cause the engine will still have an oil leak and they'll all be like rolling on the ground oil wrestling and stuff. All because of my bike's bad-ass-ness.

Yeah thats how it's gonna be! I know your just jealous, and thats why you ain't commenting on nothing. True genius is never recognized in it's own time. Or is that artistic talent is never recognized... Yeah that's it, because Einstein's genius was recognized all over the place before he died. Life is not fair. European super scientists get all the poon.

Maybe it was the hair. I bet I could rock that shit all over the place... do you think it would go with a perfecto one star? Doesn't matter i couldn't afford one any way.

... what was I talking about? I think it's past time for my meds. Do you see what happens when you leave me up to my own devices. just wait till my ADHD kicks in and I will go all spider monkey off in this sheezey.

Which reminds me I got the front fender cut down, and started sanding off all that chrome.
Pics to come.

Okay so here's my pity reply :p
just kidding
I like the idea of the bedliner. I used it on lots of small parts on my bike and I almost shot my wheels with it. It's just got that awesome texture going on, and that "I don't give a shit" bad-ass look to it. It's also extremely tough, which gives it a practical place as well.
Okay, so I have been and will be watching to see what ya come up with!
And keep away from my old lady! ;D

Deviant1 said:
And keep away from my old lady! ;D

I guess I was just feeling lonely... :'(

Mrs. CresentSon wasn't a fan of the oil wrestling either. I guess that one has to come off the bucket list.

Trying out the lines on the front fender. I am back and forth about either blacking it out or spraying aluminum. I might have to prep and prime everything, reassemble, and then decide on finish placement. So here it is. I like the angle and the % of coverage.

Looks familiar ;)

main.php

Now that's what I'm talking 'bout... THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

I definitely likey. you may have just sold me on blacking the fender and brushing the lowers. What year/model is she? pipes and wheels look a lot like my '76-F organ doner.

Very nicely done.

Looking good, I love the bulky look of the 750. That why I am dead set on building one! The progress you have made looks great,it has an almost rat look but cleaner, it's looking mean. I noticed you have no side cover on in that shot, what are your plans there? Stock side covers/no side covers/ different side covers and will you be going with a logo on them as early talked about? Wich one? Waiting to see! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom