Uncoiled's 78 CB550K

Making good progress! One note, the adjusters on your shocks don't raise or lower them, they only affect the dampening. So, as old as those shocks are, the lowest setting will probably provide very little rebound and cause the ride to be pretty bumpy/uncomfortable.

Also, please dear god, do something besides a hose clamp for your muffler bracket!

Haha, I defiantly have some other things in mind for the exhaust hanger! I just couldn't stand that long hanger. I will adjust my shocks back to the original setting then because my ride as super bouncy last time I went out. New shocks are on the list but I'm not sure how far down. Its a possibility I can get some next month and have some money left over to do the front fork oil as well. Seems i need to move the shocks up the list, I didn't think about them being part of the issue in the bouncy ride not sure why because it makes perfect sense...

Uncoiled,

Im gonna keeping up with this one as I got a 78 550k that Im gonna be re doing this winter (not a lot of people are excited about it for some reason.)

But good luck with the bike, and by the way. I am stealing that gasket idea.

Thanks hunter! Ya mine hasn't got a lot of attention either, not sure why.

The gasket idea works I guess since my bike runs good now, it was a pain but a lot cheaper then buying the kits. If you haven't noticed yet the 78 had a lot of funky parts that are different from the 74-76 and harder to find. I will have to follow your build as well!

Same with the '77-78 750's, I feel your pain. Honda made some really "interesting" decisions throughout the '60's and 70's regarding intermingling of parts/platforms. I guess they still kinda do today, but I digress.

The reason new guys don't get a lot of attention is a) a lot of new guys post projects up to the tear down and then are mysteriously never heard from again. Some say the spirit of the old motors were released and snatched the would-be wrenchers' souls. Or they lost interest/funds/time/etc. happens to the best. Or b) there is some really, really fantastic stuff that guys (and girls) are doing on this forum, and, not to sound elitist or smug, but it takes a lot more to impress people than you think.

So I have some updates.
Test rode it last week and ran it out of gas. A ride from a good Samaritan, a roll of duck tape, $4 of gas, and a $15 gas can later i was back at home.

The for the weekend I went to the mountains to ride with my brother. Had a blast and the bike ran great. The floats had to be adjusted but other then that it perfect. While I was there I cut the arm that comes off the kickstand and the centerstand, much better looking now.

Here are some mountain photos.

Put 95 miles on it since I've gotten it running.

Still need to do some work on the front brake, it squeals and doesn't stop very well, the rear stops me much faster.

love those wagons.

and good shit on the bike. I bet it felt good to have it running and ride it.

I dont think I ever asked this, but what were your plans for the bike. cafe? bobber?

I think it will end up as a brat tracker type deal, here is my favorite that I have found so far...

StoriesOfBike_Ep5_Promo_5.jpg

http://www.storiesofbike.com/gallery/

So here is whats on the short term agenda...

-adjust/fix the front brakes (the rear stop me better then the front, something needs to be done) possibly steel lines at some later point, or sooner if I can't get it working good
-waiting for new fuel line in the correct size to install
-new turn signals
-chain and sprockets
-change fork oil
-handlebars (drag bars or ultra low rise renthals)

Here are some more pictures from my weekend.

My brother's XS400

I have a lot of video too but need to edit it.

Found another inspiration bike, this is pretty much exactly what i want, except for a shortened front fender.

SBC-CB550-JO-RS-FA-700.jpg

http://thebikeshed.cc/2013/01/08/cb550-the-j-o-build/

Ordered some drag bars and LED turn signals tonight so I am pumped waiting for them. Also started sanding on my tank, not sure what direction I will go with it but have a couple of ideas.

I have gotten a good bit of work done since I posted last. I pulled the tank and sanded the whole thing, giving it a polished/brushed metal look. I wanted to try something different so I tried out a lace through paint on the top of the tank. It didnt work out perfect since at some points the lace was not flush with the tank. I still think it looks pretty cool and has a hot rod style to it. As of right now it doesnt really fit in with the style on the rest of the bike but it will once its done. Still not sure if I will keep it though.

I also installed drag bars. It took a while to get everything routed properly and the clutch cable kept binding up any way I tried it but eventually I got it to work. Eventually I will need to get shorter throttle cables and clutch cable. I am thinking of drilling the bars to run my wires through but I'm not sure if I will. They defiantly need to be shortened to clean up the controls a bit. It rides very well with the drag bars on, feels much more "sporty" and its still very comfortable. Also got a cheap bar end mirror from cycle gear that works very well.

Here are some pictures...

Close up of tank

I let it just fade of onto the sides, i really like the look it gave it.

Still need to get emblems for the tank. Turn signals are in the mail so they will get going on sometime this month. Then I will need to try and work on the seat and rear fender.

Looks grate! the bars changed the whole look of the bike. As far as the paint goes it looks good, but ya it looks like lighting or something haha but its a kool look none the less. As far as the gas cap I wouldn't have painted it but thatch just me and if ur going to go with it black I would have powder coated it. But I say that because I just pulled a lot of parts of the SL to powder coat!

Ya the gas cap is riveted on so I didn't want to deal with having to cut the rivet and reattach it some how, maybe later on down the line though. The chrome was coming off of it and it was badly sanded by the previous owner so I didn't have many options.

I may also try the lace again with a different pattern, that just happened to be what they had at the right price when i went to the fabric store.

Back
Top Bottom