Post a pic of your latest purchase

adventurco said:
ce152eacd10b1491b19fdd9e6fe1cb38.jpg

Some reading for the flight back to go pick up my gear for Barber.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Nice dude

HOK Primer / sealer and inter-coat clear. Enough for the next several bikes!

Attachments

• IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 187
Judging by the way the wheel chocks I put in my trailer work my bike would be dragging behind the truck on its side shooting sparks all over the freeway

Surly it needs a T bar for tie downs and remove the chain to free wheel, I would never trust it to stay in neutral and even if it did I would never go far with a chain

adventurco said:
Judging by the way the wheel chocks I put in my trailer work my bike would be dragging behind the truck on its side shooting sparks all over the freeway

I saw that comment, Did you have the bikes ratchet strapped too or just using the chock? I have one and it is great for holding the front wheel from sliding sideways but I always ratchet the front end too and the bikes never move.

deviant said:
Somebody please explain. I have no idea what's going on there.

Not sure if you are kidding or serious but it is a bike hauler, put front wheel in chock and pull bike on back wheel. I have seen home made versions in use but never a retail one. It would be good for getting a bike home with a small capacity tow vehicle, no extra weight from a trailer.

Ha. I wasn't kidding. Dragging a bike on it's back wheel isn't something I would want to do, but it makes sense.

Maritime said:
Not sure if you are kidding or serious but it is a bike hauler, put front wheel in chock and pull bike on back wheel. I have seen home made versions in use but never a retail one. It would be good for getting a bike home with a small capacity tow vehicle, no extra weight from a trailer.

I remember seeing these available back in the '60s & '70s. While they weren't widely used, they weren't uncommon. Far fewer families had a second vehicle back then and pickup trucks were more common with businesses and farmers than with the "average Joe". Also the ability to run out to TSC or a similar place and spend a few hundred $$ on a small trailer wasn't common either. The recommended practice was to securely attach bike to the hitch/front wheel cradle and then remove the drive chain before towing. I don't think you'd want to use it for a great distance and rear tire wear could become a factor, especially with off-road tires.

Maritime said:
I saw that comment, Did you have the bikes ratchet strapped too or just using the chock? I have one and it is great for holding the front wheel from sliding sideways but I always ratchet the front end too and the bikes never move.

I had the wheels chocked and 2 straps on each bike. They kept tipping toward each other and I had to readjust and tighten straps at every fuel stop. I finally ran a couple ropes from each bike to the sides of the trailer. Could just be that the chocks I have are made for wider tires but they supposedly fit all sizes. I think they need to go up further on the wheel or something.

adventurco said:
I had the wheels chocked and 2 straps on each bike. They kept tipping toward each other and I had to readjust and tighten straps at every fuel stop. I finally ran a couple ropes from each bike to the sides of the trailer. Could just be that the chocks I have are made for wider tires but they supposedly fit all sizes. I think they need to go up further on the wheel or something.

Ok what I always do is strap just the front with the forks fully compressed and they never move or loosen. skinny or fat tires. the chock just holds them while you get the straps on and pulled tight downward. I may put a strap on the back to prevent the ass end from swaying over bumps if there is a chance it will hit something but I never snug it tight like the front.

Maritime said:
Ok what I always do is strap just the front with the forks fully compressed and they never move or loosen. skinny or fat tires. the chock just holds them while you get the straps on and pulled tight downward. I may put a strap on the back to prevent the ass end from swaying over bumps if there is a chance it will hit something but I never snug it tight like the front.

I always tighten the rear more than the front, and never use Ratchet straps an a bike. you can easily blow fork seals compressing them all the way. Better to hook up to the rear of the frame or by the pegs. Also helps if you have room to spread the tie down points out.

I am very spoiled by the strapless stands. Takes 2 mins to load and never have to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom