VINTAGE LEATHER JACKETS:

How about my Vanson?

2388489871_0474fdaf7c_o.jpg

Or my Drospo?

2388488607_56bfd8bfc0.jpg

Represto said:
Hmm...I wonder if that was intentional to follow the british theme of the jacket or if it was common. Either way, I'd say that it's safe to date the jacket no later than the 70's. No?
yes, 1970s, i posted a link to an old 40s jacket I havent figured out how to upload images yet

andrew embassy said:
Well, actually my jacket (above) is all lightning zips and it was made in Canada...
yup in fact the first leather jacket I ever owned was the one featured above, we bought them and punked them out back in the 80s cost 100-120 dollars, lol

Yep. Mine looks an awful lot like that Harley...except for the spacing on the shoulder studs. Mine are closer together. Wish mine had the original liner and belt.

Are there any good books out there that have the history of leather jackets?

Represto said:
Yep. Mine looks an awful lot like that Harley...except for the spacing on the shoulder studs. Mine are closer together. Wish mine had the original liner and belt.

Are there any good books out there that have the history of leather jackets?
rin tanaka wrote a couple books but they are out of print, your jacket is a replica of that harley jacket, which harley stopped making in the late 50s they changed the design simultaneous to the larger american man needing a bigger cut. Brimaco and many others copied this pattern, yours is not horsehide and has a moore generous cut than that with steel spots as opposed to solid nickle

Thanks. I'll keep my ear to the ground for his books.

ATTN HIDE: What kind of jacket do you wear? I really like it.

Represto said:
Thanks. I'll keep my ear to the ground for his books.

ATTN HIDE: What kind of jacket do you wear? I really like it.

My jacket is ASHY est 1978 Cowhide jacket made in Pakistan.
I think it's fake Lewis Leathers style in the 70's.
Got it on Ebay from these guys
http://stores.ebay.com/manormonkeys-vintage
They often have good looking leather jackets. Only problem is that the shipping they quote is bit high...
My goal is to get real Lewis Leathers Jacket. I guess after opening my Cafe/Bar.

Does anyone like Red Jacket? They look identical to mine...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Racer-MOTORCYCLE-Men-LEATHER-Coat-Jacket-SZ-38_W0QQitemZ310121106710QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_MC_Outerwear?hash=item310121106710&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A3%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Racer-MOTORCYCLE-Men-LEATHER-Coat-Jacket-SZ-38_W0QQitemZ310121106710QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_MC_Outerwear?hash=item310121106710&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A3%7C294%3A50

this is the exactly the jacket i've been looking for, well not exactly. preferably in black and in a 42. i was also looking into a lewis leathers monza but i dont have $1000 for a new one or $500 for the ones ive been finding on ebay.

anyhow, the search continues...

I also have a Hein Gericke made Hondaline jacket. It's exactly like the one in this photo

http://flickr.com/photos/malabu_spyder/1019129159/

However, mine is not a size 46 worn by a large, naked Harley biker chick!! I don't know how this lady even zips it up.

It's actually quite a nice jacket. Not vintage (I'm guessing 90's?) but it's a solid made jacket, nice thick leather, double zips at the front, no collar, a nice belt AND unlike most bike modern jackets, it doesn't have a fat guy waist.

jayphlip said:
this is the exactly the jacket i've been looking for, well not exactly. preferably in black and in a 42. i was also looking into a lewis leathers monza but i dont have $1000 for a new one or $500 for the ones ive been finding on ebay.

anyhow, the search continues...

if you could buy a new one for 1000 or a vintage one for 500 you should that is a steal...they sell for 500 lbs used and 1500 new and they are awesome jackets

himelator said:
you seem incredulous as to my qualifications?
no, no, no! You took it wrong. I just meant it literally, if anyone could help me, Im sure it would be you!

I really am not looking for anything specific. The red jacket on ebay actually looks pretty awesome to me. I might even bid on that. So I guess Im wondernig where I can find more jackets like that. Searching google for sidezipped motorcycle jacket didnt give the best results, I got like two jackets that are sorta similar to what I want.

ya! Im not sure about sizng though, Ill try and measure myself tomorrow, but Im really skinny!

Check the ebay site where the jacket is made. If you're looking for Schott Brothers stuff, check ebay.com. If you're looking for Lewis Leathers/Aviakit, check ebay.co.uk

I see tons of Perfecto's around...but I've never come across a LL's jacket in my local market searches.

Represto said:
Check the ebay site where the jacket is made. If you're looking for Schott Brothers stuff, check ebay.com. If you're looking for Lewis Leathers/Aviakit, check ebay.co.uk

I see tons of Perfecto's around...but I've never come across a LL's jacket in my local market searches.

you wont usually see many lewis' around, they were expensive top quality jackets and rarely understood outside of Britain. Ive been buying and selling for almost 15 years and I can say I only own 4 Lewis. That accounts for less than 1 % of the collection

I bought this guy for $45 shipped. I know Brooks generally go a bit cheaper than other brands but I feel like I got a good deal and am happy with the jacket, although I prefer the style without the buckles on the side and no vents on the back. I could maybe use an extra inch or so in the shoulder width and the jacket length, but it's not bad.

9835_1.JPG

9ae0_1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom