Time to Contribute! RD350 Cafe Build

andrewlk

Been Around the Block
I've used this site from the "outside" for a while, and have really enjoyed reading about various builds and now it's time for me to contribute. I used a variety of forums, but have particularly enjoyed this one. My build has started from a roadworthy 1973 RD350 that I decided to tear apart and rebuild as a minimalist cafe. I love the Twinline Goldhead bike, and am aiming for something along those lines, with a bit lower cost. I hope to become more involved here and as I learn things, be able to offer what I can in return for the help I will surely need! This is my first build other than a minibike, and I'm 8 days in...just trying to do something every day, even if it's one bolt or whatever. Feel free to offer suggestions, and I'll let you know what I'm thinking along the way, thanks for looking!

Here's what I started with. It was decent enough to be a daily driver, upgrades include: K&N w/ yboot, boyesen reeds, .20 over weisco topend, 520 chain conversion & +3 rear sprocket, clubman bars, dg pipes, properly jetted, new points/condensor/fuel lines/large replacement coils.

Attachments

• 10.GIF
    10.GIF
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,906
  • rd350.GIF
    rd350.GIF
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,943
I started the teardown a week ago Tuesday(pic 1), and here's where I am today (pic 2).

Attachments

• 11.GIF
    11.GIF
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,879
  • Bare Frame.GIF
    Bare Frame.GIF
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,871
Time to get started...anyone have product recommendations? Here's what I have so far. Thanks to FlyinRyan350 for displaying Metal Rescue on his build thread.

Attachments

• 755511560_2689571863_0.GIF
    755511560_2689571863_0.GIF
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,768
Kool man there is a ever growing amount of rd guys here if you need any help with info/parts let me know if i cant help ill point ya in the right direction great bike man keep up the good fight

bradj said:
Kool man there is a ever growing amount of rd guys here if you need any help with info/parts let me know if i cant help ill point ya in the right direction great bike man keep up the good fight

Definitely. Thanks.

I apologize for posting "gif" images, when I take cell pics they save as "jpeg" instead of "jpg" and the site won't accept them, so I resaved them as "gif" files since that seemed to be the only DTT compatible option available.

If you just rename them as jpg it will work. I'll see about adding 'jpeg' but jpeg and jpg are the same - just change the extensions on the file names of your pics.

...and I just added 'jpeg' to the list of allowed file extensions so give that a try too :)

That's what I thought, too, but when I did that it didn't change the file properties and it still wasn't accepted. This is probably something that is partially due to my out of date xp netbook.

Great to see another 2smoker ;)
As far as I'm concerned, the EPA can lick my taint! :D

Been emailing with Twinline a bit...

My stock tank has a dent in the front and badge mounts ('73) so I'm sending that off to them to cut into a seat and upholster. I know it's pricey, but there are a few parts I really want top notch and I don't have the skillz to do myself. Which is bad, 'cause chicks dig guys with skillz. Which is good, since I'm married.

I've gone back and forth about ditching autolube...when I ride, it usually isn't far, but premix doesn't keep well, and I traditionally haven't ridden incredibly often either. Thoughts? Ian at Twinline suggested integrating an oil tank into the tail along with a tail light/plate mount.

Also got a quote of $150 for blasting and powdercoating my frame, though I'll wait until I know how things fit/need changing to get it done.

The red and white tank is going to Twinline, purple will take its place - and yes, get repainted :)

Attachments

• IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 310
The oil injection pumps are rebuildable. And I know plenty people who swear by them. But I ended up going premix. Mainly because when I built my DS7, I didn't trust a nearly 40y/o pump to kee my bike from seizing. With premix, if it's running... it's getting oil. The downside is that you're very limited on fueling options if you ride far enough to empty a tank (unless you carry spare oil with you).

Great start for a first build man and i have to agree with Redbird and im sure the pump works great but i would know premix work 100% ( If mixed right) .

As far as I'm concerned, there is no good reason to go pre-mix on the street. None. I even like the stock oil tank, but that can be replaced if need be with another tank. on the track in a race bike - Pre-mix. On the street, Oil injection.

I was leaning autolube and that's what I think I'll do.

What do you guys think about electrical/ignition systems? I would like to go digital CDI like a Chinoy or MZB system, but they're $500+

My wiring harness is functional and labeled well, but it's kind of a disaster of splices, electrical tape and deteriorating insulation and grime. I want to eliminate as much as possible and run battery free - going for minimalist here, only what I need to be legal.

Back
Top Bottom