CA95 rescue

Oh.. you mean Automotive Paint Supply thats attached to Rouses? They have all sorts of stuff in there.. I never even thought about calling them for work on the engine.

updated pictures

20120917_173452.jpg

motorfull.jpg

sad news. The side thats 4 over has a groove in the cyl wall. Need a new jug or a piston sleeve.. or if Teazer thinks we can do it.. 160 pistons.

Thank you thank you thank you Teazer. Head is dismantled.. going to the machine shop this week.

So it looks like when the old piston was installed.. they snapped the oil control ring.. which means I have to split the case to see if its in there... Fun times!

It's hard to accept that the PO broke an oil ring and forgot a piston pin circlip and managed to ruin two new pistons and the barrel. Fortunately it can all be repaired or replaced. Pity 160 pistons are so much shorter than the CA95's. But we can't turn back time, so not a lot of point in getting too upset. Forwards as they say, not back. :)

Yup.. Just trying to not pester Tim too much... he has a jug for me.. I just have to be patient and not message him daily in my zeal for completion.

Yep, It's a ThreeBond product and is sold as Hondabond, Yamabond, and Kawabond I think too. Call Nielsen up at Lake Villa. They have to have some. Or call the NAPA store or Carquest or Oreilly's all on 21 and see what they have.

What's even better is Hylomar but it's not easy to find.

well.. gotta get the cases apart first.. I swear I have taken out every case bolt I can find and its like a force of nature to try and split them.. all to see if some PO dropped half an oil ring into there... was thinking about building a scissor thing out of wood tomorrow to try and pry them open.. anyone have a better idea? its a horizontally split case.. so I cant just use a puller against the crank shaft.

Check the parts list to be sure that there isn't another bolt hiding under something. That motor had be rebuilt before and the PO left traces of some sort of hard setting gasket goo oozing out so they will be hard to crack loose. But double check for nuts before applying force.

got it split.. missed an extra nut... I see why there is so much gasket goop on it.. there are mar marks all over the case.. its stuck currently halfway off.. but ill get it the rest of the way today.

Dropped the head off at HPR in Antioch for blasting and lapping.. should get that back this week. Tim is shipping a nice looking jug today that needs honed.. once I get it I need to order new pistons, wrist pins and most importantly CIRCLIPS.

will post pictures when its all the way apart.

If you're buying new pistons, go up a size or two (0.25 - 0.5 over). Boring/honing the cylinders should run you $50 per hole, no more. If you're paying to have the cylinders honed, you're likely going to pay 1/2 of that anyway. For the extra $50 you are assured of a perfect match between cylinder and piston, as they will bore exactly to the piston size.

If you're planning on doing the honing yourself, that's a different story.

Split
20120923_143846_zpse51e7183.jpg

empty
20120923_144608_zpsac837d39.jpg

20120923_144615_zps72a44394.jpg

Looky what I found under the kicker.
20120923_143809_zps0f90010a.jpg

Yup.. thats part of the oil ring on the piston.. all the way in the back.. there are a million little shards of it in there....

Can I clean this with water or will it rust?

Making progress. I use simple green or the Castrol purple equivalent then wash it off, dry it and they spray liberally with WD40 to get rid of water, dirt you missed and to keep if from rusting.

Remove the two baffles under the crank too. Flex them slightly and pull out the retaining pin with needle nose pliers.

You can use Threebond 1194 (current formulation of the old 1104 product - less toxic) to seal the cases. I used it on my XS650 build and it worked perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom