1976 Honda CB360T - The first step is admitting I have a problem build

Heres the write up I did on an easy carb "thingy" I invented to prevent them from sagging in new insulators. I know several guys have copied it and I haven't got any bad feedback yet.

Even though I took a lot of criticism during the development. They did evolve into a good final product, so read it to the end. For finished product.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=38240.0

I already bought new OEM gaskets and worm clamps at the same time as I bought the boots, oh well.

Thanks for reminding me of that mount Trek - I just bought some more steel stock, so I'll fab one up. Where's my angle grinder? ;D

Pamco has the cb360 e-advance on sale. Works nice. Installed mine a month ago for testing. Time to open that wallet

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

Wallet open, moths fly out...ignition purchased anyway! ;D I'm glad the ignition is finally shipping - hopefully I will see it before the weekend, but I'm not holding my breath.

Turns out the shipping of the manifolds has been delayed till the 10th, presumably due to parts having to come in from an outlying warehouse. It's going to be an orgy of 360 parts installing when everything arrives!

30 miles plus a bunch of idle time. Weather and work are not being conducive. This weekend I am out of state for work, missing the first great riding time.

The bike runs really well right now. I thought I needed carb work, but the 30 mile ride said "don't work on me, ride me". I have had the bike since 78 and can say she never ran as well as she does right now.

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

Wow, that's great to hear! I've done several points -> electronic ignition conversions, and it seems to make a huge difference every time. I know they really help speed up starting if they have an electronic advance control, which I know the Pamco unit has.

I've these fancy carbs (thanks PJ!), new tires, stainless steel brake lines with new pads and shoes, a rebuilt motor, and a bad attitude. I hope I have one of those 30 mile rides in my future too!

I just heard from Pamco Pete that my ignition is on its way 2-day priority mail. I may end up working on the 360 this weekend instead of the 750. Strangely enough, the motor fell out of the 750 after I spent too long fighting with the cam chain :p

I'm gonna have to buy PJ that plane ticket so he can set this Interceptor thing right ;D I know how much he loves working on them, heh.

The Pamco ignition arrived today, and I didn't waste much time getting it installed.

bn8L4hzl.jpg

It was a good break from the Interceptor, which after fighting with all day I discovered that I had purchased the wrong cam chain guide. It turns out the Sabre/Magna V45 units are not comparable with the Interceptor V45 units. Doh. Thanks to PJ, I was able to find my mistake.

Installation was simple - remove points and advancer,

O23sW2gl.jpg

and then reinstall "points" sensor plate and rotor (using original advancer bolt and washer.

DFr05htl.jpg

The electrical hookups were a little more involved, as none of the wires in the Pamco kit have connectors on them. It's up to the installer to choose what combination of solder, crimp connectors, and bubble gum to use to install the system. I used a combination of the first two. I added bullet connectors to the parts of the system that connected into the stock Honda wiring, and added spade connectors to connect the "points" sensor plate to the brain box so that the two could be separated fairly easily. I may replace the spade connectors with a Molex style block connector in the future.

The bike fired right up, and I had to turn down the idle a bit. It sounded great and was firing on both cylinders, yay. As it is raining and after midnight, the test ride will have to wait till tomorrow...

did you put the strobe light on it?

And can I swipe this stuff to post on the blog? If you took anymore pics I will need anything you can send.

trek97 said:
did you put the strobe light on it?

And can I swipe this stuff to post on the blog? If you took anymore pics I will need anything you can send.

Sure, the pics are up on Imgur, so it's not my bandwidth, go crazy. I haven't timed it yet, as it was late. It fired right up though!

I also installed the replacement new coils on the bike as well, so that should help things as well. I'm going to try to take a test run today and get some fresh gas in the tank. We'll find out if the hot stalling issue is the manifolds or the ignition I guess!

Oooh, goodies arrived in the mail today...

Intake manifolds:

Of4IdF6l.jpg

OE band clamps:

5DCJlx6l.jpg

and OE gaskets:

wnfUDxml.jpg

Time to get those installed and find out if this fixes the hot running problem!

Your legions of followers are on the edge of our collective seats waiting to see - how's it running? Well, I hope! Following this has been exciting!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hahahah, step one is for the weather to get back above freezing before any test rides. I'm very hopeful that this is the last piece of the puzzle, because this bike owes me miles and miles!

I did get the Interceptor's head and cams reinstalled with the correct cam chain guide. PJ saved the day again on that one...

Yup, the new intake boots/manifolds did the trick. I just went for a 10 mile ride and had no stalling issues after the bike got hot.

I did have some issues with the idle moving from about 1100 to 3000 to 2000 back down to 1100. I'm not sure what's going on with that, but it may have something to do with the idle adjuster cable. I've the air screws set at 1 1/2 turns out and the carbs synced, so I think I'm in good shape there. I'll poke at those bits again, and it just might be a matter of getting some miles on the bike for everything to get worked into place.

That's right, thanks! I might give them another half turn out to richen the mixture up a bit.

PJ, I remember you mentioned at some point that the idle cable/screw off a four wheeler carb would fit on the 360? Do you remember what model four wheeler the cable came off of?

Yup, looks like the one. $44 new from the dealer.

I was playing with the idle speed today, as that seems to still be all over the place, and discovered the throttle cables were not adjusted right, and what's more, were sticky. Sigh. I cleaned them up and readjusted them, and what do you know, the darn thing will idle? It still hunts when the throttle is released, so I started doing some fine tuning with the fuel screws.

And then the screwdriver slot on the right screw split in half :eek: I was able to easily turn the fuel screw the rest of the way out, but that was pretty damn strange. Fortunately, I still had the original fuel screws, so I transferred the o-ring and (original) spring to that screw and installed it. Something something don't blindly replace stuff that's not broken, as the new stuff might be crap quality. Yeesht.

Back to tuning...

Back
Top Bottom