1976 Honda GL1000

Had the hardest time selling that Thruxton. Apparently most folks were not drawn to the fairing the way I was. Luckily a friend down in ATL had the 550 and wanted something bigger. Wasn't having much luck selling it so we worked out a deal.

Wow, I'd a thunk the fairing would have made it sell faster, I was considering trying to put one like it on the GL instead of the stupid little windscreen I use or a god awful looking vetter abortion.

JustinLonghorn said:
Going to build up the 550 or leave it as a rider for now?

Eventually I'd like to do something with the 550 but for now my priority is the GL. I want a good two-up bike.

Maritime said:
Wow, I'd a thunk the fairing would have made it sell faster, I was considering trying to put one like it on the GL instead of the stupid little windscreen I use or a god awful looking vetter abortion.

Yeah, I dunno. I thought the fairing was awesome when I found that bike and it was nice to have something to tuck in behind on a cool morning. I guess fairings aren't "cafe" enough for the typical person looking for a Thruxton. Forget the fact that it was a one-off, hand laid carbon fiber fairing modeled after old race fairings.

Anyways, more GL progress in the near future.

That is the reason the GL is not faired, I would have to do it myself or pay someone to make one. So it is on the someday when I retire list LOL. The GL is the one bike I will not sell, unless I absolutely had to and it would be re-bought as soon as possibel after. I love mine.

I bet the La Parisienne I'm casting for my Goose Replica would look good on a GL1000.
Food for thought...

So, finally getting back into this thing. My shed is just a shed and I didn't really feel like freezing my nuts off working on it during the winter. Anyone got any bright ideas on how to get the snap ring out of the front master cylinder? You know, the one holding all the guts in? My snap ring pliers are not long enough to get down in there and I've yet to find a pair that are.

have you looked at octanes write up?

http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2717

I have but his instructions just show a set of snap ring pliers. Nothing special. Maybe I just gotta find a long enough set.

Your MC will easily fit in a backpack, and I bet they've got an assortment of snap ring pliers at aviation schools...

Tried that. My instructor has the same set as I do. The tips are somewhat length adjustable but not enough to get in there. He says he has some others at home and he will look to see if he has a longer set for me. If he remembers.

In other news I'm in engine overhaul class at school and I've got an aircraft engine in lots of pieces. Good times.

John, how long do they need to be? I have a set that I've used on master cylinders, carb slides, etc.. I can ship them to you if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer Rich but I finally got it out. I ended up breaking one of the ends off of it yesterday so I stopped to rethink it for a while. This morning I managed to get a little pick under the intact end and persuade it out. It's no wonder the brakes didn't work, the pistons and master cylinder were full of sludge. It was like pudding.

Hey! I have a few parts lying around from my '76 Gold Wing, mostly old plug wires, etc. I'll have to look and see if anything is usable. One thing I know is usable is a new pair of stainless brake caliper pistons I got from a guy on the GWRRA forum years ago. Still in wrapper, obsolete parts now. Cheap, like REAL CHEAP, if you want 'em! ;)

Oh, yeah, I also have a Windjammer Slipstreamer fairing with lowers and mount you can have, if you want to ship it.
i can dig it out and get photos if you're interested in that, too.

I think my caliper pistons are in good shape but thanks. I'd like to see photos of the fairing, I might be interested.

where are you located i also have a pile of bling and plastic off both 1000 and 1100

i am getting ready to get to the dump

How about timing belt covers and head covers? Anyone got some of those? Mine were chrome plated and it's pitted and flaking off. I'd rather just have the polished aluminum. I have the old fiberglass fairing and bags that came off mine but I don't like them and they have some broken spots, they're probably going to the dump. I don't want a ton of 'touring' crap on this thing but I have thought about a fairing of some sort.

A guy in TX just posted up in the GL500 forum about parting out a gl1000....
http://cx500forum.com/forum/selling-buying-forum/25103-parting-out-naked-76-gl1000.html

Back
Top Bottom