CM400T Cafe >FINISHED!

very nice work. I only have issue with a few things:

1.The pipes would look much better without the wrap.
2. The plate mounting is distracting and ruins the lines on that side of the bike, plus, in some places, this is either illegal or will just irritate cops.
3. Are those mirrors legal there? They wouldn't be here. Many places have minimum width and surface area laws.
4. No turn signals? you do realize that most car drivers have no idea what hand signals mean, right?

caferay said:

1.The pipes would look much better without the wrap.
2. The plate mounting is distracting and ruins the lines on that side of the bike, plus, in some places, this is either illegal or will just irritate cops.
3. Are those mirrors legal there? They wouldn't be here. Many places have minimum width and surface area laws.
4. No turn signals? you do realize that most car drivers have no idea what hand signals mean, right?

It's his bike, let him do as he wishes. No need to write out a list of things you don't like about someone's work. We don't need another Swivel.

First, fresh_c, Thanks for standing up for my right to build the bike the way I want. It’s always funny how every once in a while a new member shows up and proclaims themselves “Café Guru” Expert in all things Including design, Legality, Phylosophy. The first thing I do is go look at other posts…Lets see 18 posts in his first 4 days….all barfing his unsolicited opinion.... and not a one introducing himself or posting a pic of his own build …..if he actually has one that has pedals that don’t go in circles.

caferay
1.The pipes would look much better without the wrap. Oh really…you know what they look like under the wrap? Chrome Head Pipes & Steel Extensions don’t match. Chrome plating wasn’t in the budget and Painted ain’t my thing I am perfectly happy with them wrapped thank you.
2. The plate mounting is distracting and ruins the lines on that side of the bike, plus, in some places, this is either illegal or will just irritate cops. I have no idea the plate you are talking about or do I care at this point. You do know I live in another country and that laws are different here … even different between states ….here is one that will undoubtedly blow your ‘nadian nut… Arizona doesn’t require Helmets.
3. Are those mirrors legal there? Yes they are They wouldn't be here who gives a f about there I’m here. Many places have minimum width and surface area laws. You understand they are widely used bar end mirrors mounted inward right? You gonna go post surface area calculations on every build thread wearing them?
4. No turn signals? Again not required here…you do realize that most car drivers have no idea what hand signals mean, right? Um …where to begin my naïve northerner….maybe in the great white north but MOST do know hand signals here in the states, and in Arizona you better know them cuz we are also a state where you can carry a concealed handgun without a license and most do ..you do realize you should never count on any kind of “signal” hand or electric.

HAHAHA way to go Frankenfe. By the way I love the way your bike is turning out and I still haven't started mine. :( but that doesn't mean I go around telling others how they're screwing up. And if anyone thinks cars see your bike let alone your turn signals you're dilusional. Never rely on you're turn signals alone.

Bahahaha, Get em' fresh c.
Frankenfe, I am memorized by how shiny your engine is. I guess I have something to do come winter, at least for my crankcase covers. Fire up your polishers gentlemen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Excellent build... I jumped from page 2 or 3 then to the last couple of pages... loved how its turned out. At the start I saw you were trying out different headlight and clock sets...I liked the stock with double clocks....but now seeing the finished built in headlight and clock I think it tops it off perfectly.

caferay said:
I only have an issue with you, caferay... Create a build thread so we can criticize your work and tell you how you should do it differently. Who the frack cares about legality anyway? You, caferay, are single-handedly ruining the spirit of the "cafe."

That being said:

This build is very slick. Just saw those vintage badges you were considering. So classy! Keep up the good work!

Did you ever get this tuned in? A google search for CB400t VM30 brings this result right to the top but you never got around to mentioning how the VM30's ran or what was involved. I'm sure myself and who knows how many other people have come to this thread and never found out what they were chasing. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for dredging an old thread up but to conclude it would be great.

Hi Frankenfe
Awesome build and an inspiration to anyone who finds themselves priced out of the CB/CL market.
I'm in the process of wrapping up the final pieces of a CM400 custom job - it's not really a cafe, and it's not a traditional restoration, but it's somewhere in the middle with the goal of giving my girlfriend a safe, comfortablebike to learn on, and so we can go on day trips without being 2-up.
I did spring for a pair of Mikuni VM30's, and I see you did also. I haven't seen many threads with these carbs on a CM400 though - so I was hoping you could elabarate a little:
Firstly - how if the bicycle inner-tube gasket holding up in the stock intake manifold? I'm planning on following your lead on this modification to take up the gap.
Second - my pipes are not quite as open as yours - but are the MAC 2-2 system - gan you give any guidance on the tuning that you ended up with so I can perhaps start out closer to what I'll end up with?
Thanks so much!

I just wanted to post here and thank you for the detail in this build. I am slowly working on my CM400E (yes I know people say its not the "best" bike to build...whatever, I like it) It is just great to see someone put the time into one of these bikes and really make it into something special. Thanks for the inspiration!

I've had the rubber tubes on my VM30's for a few months now without any problem of deterioration. And that's with repeated removing of them from jetting the carbs too. The stock carb manifolds sit at the right angle to keep the carbs level which is why I kept them and the tubes haven't showed any signs of air leaks.

Thanks Drew! - I ended up getting a machined spacer with the appropriate bolt holes to fit the Mikuni boot - works like a charm

A) That is not the original tank, please tell me which model you transplanted it from.
B) what did you have to do to the front forks to fit the clip on handlebars.

First timer with a cm400t just looking for a little guidence

First to all have posted compliments, Thank you

Second To those who have posted asking about the final set up of the VM30's, Sorry but I have had some Heath and Family issues that kind of put everything on the back burner. I plan to get back to the bike(s) this Fall, as I have anything significant to post I will.

Shaequigs:
A) 1978 CB400A
B) Remove OEM Headlight Ears and Replace with others that allow for room to Clamp on the "Clip Ons" between the triple trees. Work done to Upper Triple Tree was/is purely aesthetic.
C) Good Luck!

Frankenfe,
Hope everything works out okay for you man!
Thanks for responding - I'm all set up now.
Best

Hope all is good.

Just curious as to your carb setup as well. Have VM30s on oem boots but have no idea where to go with the tuning.
If you could post your specs that would be awesome

Back
Top Bottom