GL 1000 sport wing No Time, No Dime

Kanticoy said:
In like Flynn!
haha there he is, the mad scientist him self. Glad you could make it. Oh, and thanks for the coaxing of moving my build from facebook to here. Good call ;)

So the exhaust is part of an after market that came with my 77. I cut the hangers off and flipped sides. This angled the pipes in and up. They originally were flat and kinda wide.
I also cut the length down quite considerably, cut out the old baffles (the pic it was cut off and flipped so it stuck out to give me an idea of look. The old ones were flush or tucked inside like in the one below but they were also kinda beat up) So I'm in the process of making my own baffles (see pic below). The frame hadn't been capped yet. At this stage was still trying them on, removing and modifying and trying them again.
20130314_195825_zpsc8c77c21.jpg

new baffle mid build. They are still not done and will be completed later. Plan is to cap them off, drill a bunch of holes and wrap with fiberglass and heavy screen.
20130316_180732_zps1b8728dd.jpg

Welded an adapter in and added the springs:
20130318_194123_zps35a56661.jpg

20130318_193521_zpsfd684df9.jpg

With the new baffle inserted
pretty much where its at:
20130316_180622_zps009a3a38.jpg

Thanks Brad. Glad you could make it. I don't think I bought this old girl before you left that day. Glad youre getting to see her now

Anyhow, I'm not sure what I'm going to do for finish on the exhaust. They are pitted pretty bad. Some wrinkle finish header paint would probably do the trick but I've not seen it. If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

So I ordered a pretty cool tail light/turn combo and made a bracket to mount under the seat:
20130319_190155_zpse6368375.jpg

One thing to notice about the seat. Most everyone mounts these seats below the shock mounts. It lowers the seat considerably (atleast an inch or so. I don't like the way it looks so I welded a hoop on the frame that the seat will rest on (slightly higher than most) and will be mounted to. Anyhow..
20130319_185743_zps3a05bd1d.jpg

Picked up some cool bar end mirrors
20130319_155112_zpsd2cb6079.jpg

And in the mean time I opend up some carbs that someone stuck with the bike when I got it. I'm pretty certain they don't belong with this bike just by the amount of crud on the outside. (The picture is after quite a few hours of cleaning) Anyhow, they look like theyve seen many miles. Many of the o rings are shot, slides sticking and scored, and not sure what else. Plan is to keep em for spare parts and use the carbs off the 77. I'll open them up and go over them before I install
20130313_131555_zps809fe323.jpg

So back to the motor where Iam currently. Stripped the oil filter bolt. Dont know if I already mentioned it so I apologize if I have. Anyhow it took some persistance.It took two pair of vice grips. One on the outside on the flange and one on the inside on the head. Thought I had a pic but this is one of a failed attempt.Thensuccess followed using the two pair. Anyhow, Ill use the one off the 77 when it comes tme
20130325_202010_zps992d7d76.jpg

Now that the timing belts have been changed im in the process of switching over the Dyna ignition from the 77. It's one of the frist things I did to it last year. My problem right now is this bike sat in a trailer and at some point the trailer developed a leak. Water ran down into the points cover and made a real mess. The advancer is froze to the cam. I have it soaking in pb blaster and I've got my fingers crossed. If that doesn't work I may add a little heat (ntot too much to get the cam seal) but just the right amount to hopefull free the bugger.
20130329_191027_zps3609543f.jpg

After that I need to pick up a new thermostat and coolant hoses from napa. Once those are installed the motor is going back in. With that ladys and gents you are pretty much up to date

Ha!

I went to bed last night and this was a shiny bike that sat for 30 years.....now I wake up to this! Love it......

Troy, you don't have any of that Aero Kroil around, do you? I can bring some with me when I stop out soon.

I'm really glad you like it Rich. I really wanted to get as much posted as I could to get the thread caught up LOL. Stayed up much later than I wanted but that's pretty much par for the course. Spring is such a tough time to be doing something 'fun' so gotta do what ya can when ya can.haha

Man that stuff is amazing. I love it. I might have a drop or two left. Probably had a squirt or two remaining when I started this project so not much. That stuff is like gold or better yet like the sole coffee plant from which all coffee plants on two continents would be started from. hahaha. yeah its that good. The bike getting that close? Can't wait to see ya.... especially if you're bearing a gift. hahah. Just kidding man the Kroil would definitely the bonus.

Man this thing is going to be awesome. Its like a throwback sport tourer. I can seriously get into it. My thoughts on the exhaust always lean toward powder coat. Media blasting them would kick a lot of the pitting, and then a nice 2000° powder top finish it off. If you're ever in town.....

One other thought, and this is really just for practical purposes. I have been riding a good bit this spring and on the BMW, I am definitely thinking of going with a removable fairing/wind screen of some sort. Problem is I don't want something that looks like "old man 5000". Something you may think about, since you know how much of a difference a simple screen can make on those long rides!

I love that there seems to be a trend of building bikes to ride the distance here lately. Like I told you before, I smell an epic ride coming. Keep it coming brother!

Really cool Troy. This is the direction my brother and I wanted to head with his GL before he traded it. He had the same problem with his, leaking gas into the cylinder. As many times as I tried to start it before I figured out what the problem was I'm surprised I didn't tear something up in the motor. Careful with the clutch cable routing with those low bars.

Kanticoy said:
Man this thing is going to be awesome. Its like a throwback sport tourer. I can seriously get into it. My thoughts on the exhaust always lean toward powder coat. Media blasting them would kick a lot of the pitting, and then a nice 2000° powder top finish it off. If you're ever in town.....

One other thought, and this is really just for practical purposes. I have been riding a good bit this spring and on the BMW, I am definitely thinking of going with a removable fairing/wind screen of some sort. Problem is I don't want something that looks like "old man 5000". Something you may think about, since you know how much of a difference a simple screen can make on those long rides!

I love that there seems to be a trend of building bikes to ride the distance here lately. Like I told you before, I smell an epic ride coming. Keep it coming brother!

I'm really glad she seems to be well received. Sometimes you just never know which is ok too but its nice to get a little love. haha. anyhow I'm right with ya on the removable windscreen/fairing. I've been looking at them for a few months trying to decide on what I like. Plan is to pick up something after I get her on the road (hopefully in a couple weeks, which may be a bit ambitious but its a goal).

Yeah 'm really undecided on the coating for the exhaust they are pitted worse than anything I've ever tried to save. I love it too that guys are building bigger long distance bikes. Last year was an eye opener for me and I'm hooked.

oldskool said:
Looking good Mr. Helmick love where this is headed!!!!!
Thank you sir means a lot

john83 said:
Really cool Troy. This is the direction my brother and I wanted to head with his GL before he traded it. He had the same problem with his, leaking gas into the cylinder. As many times as I tried to start it before I figured out what the problem was I'm surprised I didn't tear something up in the motor. Careful with the clutch cable routing with those low bars.

Ill tell ya john I had no idea the bike cylinders were flooding. I always turned the petcock off and no fuel was evident after sitting all night. It wasn't until after about a month after the starter failed that fuel leaked onto the garage floor over night and I knew something was up.
Last year I replaced the clutch cable on the 77 so Im going to use that one. I totally agree about the routings being difficult on these girls. Even with the higher bars the routing was a bit tricky. I'm kinda fussy about my cable routings so Its going to be interesting if I can do something I'm satisfied with.

Was on the tractor today spreading manure on the fields so not much to report other than shit lol.
Anyhow I did check the tank and I'm very pleased. Junior (old skool) told me about vinegar and man was he right. I'd heard of people using it but had no idea how well it worked. In the past I'd used mauratic acid and got pretty good results but nothing like Vinegar gives. The tank I did this winter was a 22 gallon tank with extremely heavy rust. I used 2 gallons and rolled it 2x a day for a week. It cleaned every once of rust. I'll never use anything else...especially at $2.39 a gallon

Still a ways to go but this is less than 24 hours later:
20130330_163113_zps8da7c0aa.jpg

This was yesterday:
20130329_140112_zpsc206194f.jpg

troybilt said:
Ill tell ya john I had no idea the bike cylinders were flooding. I always turned the petcock off and no fuel was evident after sitting all night. It wasn't until after about a month after the starter failed that fuel leaked onto the garage floor over night and I knew something was up.

We never had gas leak out onto the ground so I didn't know what was up, thought it was a weak battery. When I pulled the plug out of the correct cylinder, hit the starter and sprayed gas 6' in the air it was pretty interesting though.

Or... You could cut the coating out completely and mount this stainless muffler up:

20130330_172815.jpg

20130330_172825.jpg

20130330_172839.jpg

Yours for shipping. Would just need to fab up a mounting flange.

Hahaha John, I'll bet that was a surprise. The tank liner delaminating caused the fuel to build high pressure in mine. I'd never seen that happen before.

That would look killer on there Mike. Appreciate the offer.How long is it and what's it off of because I'd have to source another

Back
Top Bottom