A DTT lawyers thread?

HolyRoller

Been Around the Block
I was just drinking too much gin and wondering whether there are any other lawyers here at DTT.

We all know lawyers are dicks.... but....

I would enjoy shooting the sh$t once in a while with lawyers from other jurisdictions.

HR.

I am in Ontario (so Law Society of Upper Canada...LSUC)... oh, and I practice primarily civil appeals and family litigation.

Weberkid just got his law degree if i remember correctly.....im pretty sure he is straying away from becoming a lawyer tho

First, a relevant joke (I collect lawyer jokes):

Q: What's the difference between a vacuum cleaner and a lawyer on a motorcycle?
A: The vacuum cleaner has the dirt bag on the inside.

I'm a licensed attorney in Ohio working in a rural area. My practice focuses on real estate, small business, nonprofit development, and land conservation. Basically I'm a transactional attorney who sits behind a computer all day. It can be a bit boring at times but it seems less stressful and demanding than big-law corporate work. I have some friends who went that route and they are ready to quit after only a couple years. I work less hours, get to charge fair prices for my services, actually make friends with my clients, and get to go home conscience intact (most days anyway).

HR, I'm sure with "family litigation" you get some interesting cases :)

My Mrs is currently considering Law School (just finished up her LSAT with a score of 168), but we're a bit nervous about the cost.

With the crowd around here, there should be some good business for lawyers! I'll put your contact info in my back pocket HR so you can get me out when they finally put me in.

I play poker with 2 lawyers. Both are corporate legal council for the company I work for. They're actually not bad guys LOL as lawyers go anyway ;D

BarnBurner said:
First, a relevant joke (I collect lawyer jokes):

Q: What's the difference between a vacuum cleaner and a lawyer on a motorcycle?
A: The vacuum cleaner has the dirt bag on the inside.

I'm a licensed attorney in Ohio working in a rural area. My practice focuses on real estate, small business, nonprofit development, and land conservation. Basically I'm a transactional attorney who sits behind a computer all day. It can be a bit boring at times but it seems less stressful and demanding than big-law corporate work. I have some friends who went that route and they are ready to quit after only a couple years. I work less hours, get to charge fair prices for my services, actually make friends with my clients, and get to go home conscience intact (most days anyway).

HR, I'm sure with "family litigation" you get some interesting cases :)

Ha... great joke. Keep 'em coming. I also love lawyer jokes.

Also, your 'philosophy' re: the practice of law is exactly the same as mine. I am in a mid-size city and am very okay with not working the hours corporate types work, and I do pro bono work with the local legal clinic helping out with poverty law clients. I am no saint! but I have no interest in getting sucked into the vortex where law becomes my life.

That said, I work hard to be the best lawyer I can be when I am at work. LOTS of nut-job clients in family law.

Sonreir said:
My Mrs is currently considering Law School (just finished up her LSAT with a score of 168), but we're a bit nervous about the cost.

Well, a word of caution. In the US (I think you live there do you not?) the cost of law school is stupidly high, more than the UK or Canada. There are also a very large # of law schools but be careful... b/c from what I have seen and heard, if you aren't enrolled at one of the top 25-30 law schools in the US, you will struggle to pay off those law school loans. The average salary of an average lawyer in an average town is not what people assume it is. Additionally, the hours worked by those lawyers who ARE making huge money is mad high. Two of my cousins are corporate lawyers working on Bay Street in Toronto... they sometimes sleep at the office WHERE COTS ARE PROVIDED... then again, they started at 100K straight out of law school.

I guess its about choices.

If someone genuinely enjoys law (its theory, jurisprudence, and notions of justice) then it is a very rewarding career.

Yeah... that's what we were afraid of. Luckily, we have the option of living abroad. My wife is a British national and so spending a few years in the UK for her to get her degree is definitely an option.

Matt that works at least for Canada. Our Junior council just hired and just successfully challanged the bar here went to law school in the UK. Same reason. Dual citizen option Canada - UK. She is a good lawyer, already helped me with a new vendor contract that protects us as much as them. We were both equally unhappy LOL.

Sonreir said:

That's a very good score! Regarding cost of law school - I went to a top tier school with a tuition at $50k+/year and, although it hurts to do it, I must admit that it wasn't worth it. As soon as I actually got licensed I realized that all the theory focused courses, fancy professors, and social events with free-flowing booze meant jack when I had to actually practice. I say go to the law school that gives you the best deal on tuition, has a strong component of on-the-job experience, and isn't located in a shopping mall. A state license is the big thing in the U.S in my opinion. After a few years no one really cares where you went to school as long as you can do the job.

BarnBurner said:
Sign of a well drafted contract ;D

Yep either both sides are equally happy or unhappy, and it depends a lot on the subject of the contract which one it is.

DesmoBro said:
Weberkid just got his law degree if i remember correctly.....im pretty sure he is straying away from becoming a lawyer tho

True story. Awaiting bar results after a second attempt. I didn't really take the bar too seriously the first time - working 2 jobs and playing motorcycle most of the time. Second time around I had no fun. As you say, I have no interest in law anymore. I'm going to be a high school history teacher.

I have a few friends who are with big Bay Street firms here in Toronto - it's mental. One of them, who actually left Bay St. and is now with Honda, said of the grind with the big firms, "it's like a pie eating contest where the prize is more pie." Hmmm, no thanks. Good on you guys for trying to keep a bit of perspective.

A DTT lawyers thread?

SONIC. said:
In your case better than by the hour.
Burn.
Hahaha
not when it only takes two minutes ;) saved money and I controlled how long I got screwed ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasstar said:
not when it only takes two minutes ;) saved money and I controlled how long I got screwed ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my joke, better to pay by the minute than the hour when you're only gonna use 2 minutes of her time hahah

Back
Top Bottom