Made a couple things for Vinnie "DEAD SHOCKS"

lil beast

Manic Fanatic
DTT SUPPORTER
Vinnie and I are going with a rigid set up on our bikes. These are for his KZ650 and Ill be building a set for my DOHC CB750. I have also labeled these "Dead shocks" ;-) Double stampped, no eraseies.

So I can get blisters on my ass along with a sore back......purely for esthetic reasons. Whats wrong with that?

HerrDeacon said:
Look great beast. Post a pic when you get them on the bike.

Just wondering how difficult would it be to make an eye-clevis set up?

locO leoN said:
Just wondering how difficult would it be to make an eye-clevis set up?

I second this question... as I could use a couple sets....

Hey - can I see more pics of your bike lift? It looks a lot like mine, but it looks like you've welded a big channel to it to lift the bike on its wheels vs. from the frame.

lil beast said:
So I can get blisters on my ass along with a sore back......purely for esthetic reasons. Whats wrong with that?

OK, I like a lowered bike as much as anybody. So I'm with you so far. But why take the crude way? You obviously have skills, why not engineer a couple inches of suspension travel into that frame with a hidden monoshock setup? You could make a slammed frame that is very clean and only looks hardtail.

Those "dead shocks" are crippling your bike. A crippled bike is a dangerous bike. Rear wheel travel is critical to safe handling; it keeps your tires in contact with the road, and keeps your bike stable on rough pavement.

There are a lot of hardtail/slammed "custom" riders in my area, and I can't believe any of them are still alive. I've seen some of them nearly crash due to small potholes. I've seen them practically stopping traffic to turn into the Burger King, because they can barely turn while going over a 2" lip at the curb. They ride poorly (due to fatigue, useless rearview mirrors, awkward riding position). They often have very high performance motors in poor-handling chassis, always a dangerous combination. Worst of all, they always blast full throttle on the straights, since that's the only thing their bikes can do.

Druro said:
I second this question... as I could use a couple sets....

You would be better off changing the style of tab on the swing arm to accept eye to eye. I can make up tabs with the stem in place to accept eye to eye and its just a matter of cutting the old one and welding on the new.

steve said:
OK, I like a lowered bike as much as anybody. So I'm with you so far. But why take the crude way? You obviously have skills, why not engineer a couple inches of suspension travel into that frame with a hidden monoshock setup? You could make a slammed frame that is very clean and only looks hardtail.

Those "dead shocks" are crippling your bike. A crippled bike is a dangerous bike. Rear wheel travel is critical to safe handling; it keeps your tires in contact with the road, and keeps your bike stable on rough pavement.

There are a lot of hardtail/slammed "custom" riders in my area, and I can't believe any of them are still alive. I've seen some of them nearly crash due to small potholes. I've seen them practically stopping traffic to turn into the Burger King, because they can barely turn while going over a 2" lip at the curb. They ride poorly (due to fatigue, useless rearview mirrors, awkward riding position). They often have very high performance motors in poor-handling chassis, always a dangerous combination. Worst of all, they always blast full throttle on the straights, since that's the only thing their bikes can do.

You have very valid points but these bikes will not be choppers with 20" ape hangers and a 300 tire with an upright riding position that weigh 900lbs dry and with 200HP that are 12' long. Our bikes are mainly for cafe to cafe Toronto downtown core riding (for me anyway) and will not likely see speeds anymore than 60kph. I deffinatly will not be taking my bike on any highway without a suspention but cant speak for anyone else. Have you ridden a hardtail?(I have). They have been around since the 60's-70's and are still here today Im not sure why people always see a need to buy bikes that cost 80K just because they want to look cool and dont know how to ride them.

Hey Tim, Yeah, with the CB550 and 750 and KZ I cant lift them from the bottom flat unless I remove the exhaust or make extentions to attatch to the frame but the exhaust would still be in the way. The only bike it worked on was the CX with no lower frame tubes.

I had some metal kickin around so I welded some big ass angle iron together and used "c" channel to support the angle I welded. I then drilled and welded bolts to the "c" channel and made it removable when I need to put it all away.

Nice - same lift I have. I'll have to give your mods some thought if I find myself needing to lift my R75. The pistons on the airhead get in the way of the lift, as would I'm sure other bits like exhausts and stands. For my XS650 it works, at least for now. I'll probably end up selling it once I'm done with the project, but it does work well to strap the bike against to keep it upright against the wall.

I measured the CB750 and thought it would be close as well so I extended the support"c" channel out by 8" which should clear the R75 cylinders

Back
Top Bottom