1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (1000 miles and more)

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (Motor in rolling chassis!)

Swan had the girlfriend and me over for dinner last night...as great as his photos are, they seriously don't do the Goldie justice. I feel bad for anyone else entered for BOTM when this thing is finished.

i love this thread!

The "pennies in the spring" photo made me burst out in laughter. Although the currency was different, me and a mate did the exact same thing a couple of decades ago (hell, it was more like three decades ago). Only worth mentioning because of the currency.........it should have been British 1p coins, but for some reason (and I can't recall why), we had a jar in the flat (apartment sounds way too grand.........it was a flat......Brits know what I mean).......a jar full of farthings. The pretty little coin with wrens on one side. Seeing Swan's spring gave me back a memory that I didn't even know I had! Absolutely brilliant!

...........and as for the bike being something pretty special when it's complete, I did say way back that this was going to be one of the best Goldies in the world. My opinion hasn't changed one little bit.

Thanks all. The pennies in the spring are not mine, with this project I do not have two pennies to spare. I am back with just a few minor steps forward.

The bushes for my standard 4th gear arrived but one is incorrect. I double checked three parts manuals and the correct part should be 67-3080 a bush with three holes, but I received a bush with 4 holes, so it is going back and I must even longer now to assemble my gear box.
IMG_9609-Version2.jpg

I had a busy couple of weeks but found time to do a few minor things such as place water slide decal and install the tool box, touched up the oil tank (still need to polish), assembled kick starter and Copy Cad plated a few minor bits such as the headlight clip, misc small screws and the end of the gear lever spindle. Details, details, details....
IMG_9591-Version2.jpg

IMG_9577-Version2.jpg

IMG_9588-Version2.jpg

This week is easier and should be able to complete a few more things.

A short and sweet update. I polished and installed the oil tank and added the waterslide decal.
IMG_9629.jpg

I wire wheeled the under side of the rear fender and then primed it with etching primer followed by a few coats of aluminum spray paint. It looks better but I will eventually replace it. The front is so ugly I think I am going to order a new one along with correct clubman style sets of stays.
IMG_9627.jpg

That is it until next time...

Incredible detail.

Looking at the charts, it looks like a trials box rather than MX?
High top to get between sections quicker?
No idea why anyone would think it was a good idea for the street though?
BSA management got even stranger later on ;D

Wow, just wow... My same front 190mm wheel just sold on e-bay for $1825.00 and the rear wheel for $1030.00 Both were in fair condition, complete, unrestored and had Dunlop alloy rims and bad spokes.

I can buy, title, clean, paint, zinc, paint, reupholster seat, lace new spokes and install new tires and make run well a mid 70's Honda CB for that kind of money for just the front wheel. Stay away from thoroughbred British motorcycles kids...

Also, I was severely outbid on a set of original (incomplete and rusty) Gold Star rearsets on Ebay today. They went for US $253 plus shipping from the UK. Instead I bought a beautiful, UK made, new and complete set from Lyford Classic Services in the UK for US $180 delivered. Bid smarter, rather than higher.

Swivel, only one of the holes in the 4 hole bush will align correctly with the three oil ways on my gear. Both my A10 and ARRT2 gearboxes use a constant mesh gear with three holes for oil to the bush and mainshaft. I cannot remember if my 1966 A65 had three or 4 holes, but either way the bush that I bought will not work. I am calling the UK early tomorrow morning and may order a new gear complete with both bushes since it will be cheaper than buying bushes in the US and paying a machinist to install and bore them correctly. I will post my results. This one bush is holding up my gearbox build, installation and a few other items on my bike. If it was easy, everyone would have a Goldie....

Swivel said:
British bikes:"Everyday is a school day"
At this rate I should be finishing my PhD Dissertation soon...

Alright, after some head scratching and caliper work I have the high gear bushes sorted out. I threaded a hacksaw blade through the gear and CAREFULLY cut a kerf into the old bushes. One came out easily, the other I pried apart with a screw driver.

IMG_9632-Version2.jpg

I am sending back the 4 hole bush for it is too short and the holes do align with the three oilways on the gear.
IMG_9636-Version2.jpg

IMG_9635-Version2.jpg

The solution is to exchange the 4 hole drilled bush (67-3080 right side) for another undrilled bush (67-3073 left side) and then use the old drilled bush (center) as a template and drill three new holes for the oilways in the new bush. These bushes are rather thin and I am going to have a machinist install them properly so I do not damage them. Then I can finally assemble, install and enjoy a leak free gearbox with standard gear ratios.

I get all excited when I see you've updated this.

Show your machinist the parts, both bushings and gear. He can make them and probably quicker and cheaper than waiting and paying for the shipping from UK. It's a simple part really.
Cheers, 50gary

50gary, my gear is still good, I simply need to exchange one bush for the correct one from British Only and drill it. They cost $27 and look simple, but are a special bronze alloy. Cheaper than paying a machinist to turn one with the correct material, but I will pay to have them installed.

This is an AWESOME thread to watch!

I felt compelled to post that.

I made a mistake saying "them" making it sound as if I referenced the gear along with regard to making a new part. I meant just the three hole bushing, I would take the gear to the machine shop just so it could be measured. The bronze alloy is not unusual for this type of bushing. Best of luck, tell the postman to hurry.
Cheers, 50gary

In the interests of being utterly pedantic and anal, is the four hole bush 90 degree separation, and the three hole 120 degrees? Is that why only one hole would align? As ever, the thread is a gem....

bumpthump said:
In the interests of being utterly pedantic and anal, is the four hole bush 90 degree separation, and the three hole 120 degrees? Is that why only one hole would align? As ever, the thread is a gem....
Yup, 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees versus 0, 120 and 240 degrees.

I m back after several days of travel and had two packages waiting for me. The replacement bush and a few other bits along with my, beautiful new rearsets from Lyford in the UK. They are beautiful! I will post images tomorrow.

One of my rearsets from Lyford Classic Services http://lyford-bsa.co.uk/. Nice powdercoating, UK made, CEI hardware and they look and feel great. Nice people, good prices, good communication and fast shipping and I am ordering my rear brake pedal, rod, linkage and some cables from them this week.
IMG_9670-Version2.jpg

Also I picked up the long out of print and way overpriced book "BSA Gold Star Super Profile" by former president of the BSA Owners Club in the UK, John Gardner. It is concise, has many good photographs, historical details and is a good reference source. Some of the content is a bit dated (1980's, the dark ages, before internet) but I am happy with it and the fact that I paid under $40 USD for it on Alibris. I have been outbid on E-bay many times on this same book and have seen it go for twice the price.
IMG_9671-Version2.jpg

Going to my machinist today to have my gear bushes pressed in and honed to fit my transmission mainshaft. Once done, I can finally assemble the gearbox. Stay tuned as always....

Rear sets look nice and tidy, with no frills or frippery. The super profile is a book I picked for 50p (75c) in a charity shop sometime around the millennium, and as you say, eBay prices can go a bit mental on stuff like this. It's the double edged sword of being great for getting best prices when you sell, but obviously, you can pay top dollar when you buy.

Did you ever resolve your dilemma with the chronometrics?

Back
Top Bottom