Cafe' CB200 - Silver Bullet - Up And Running... Now For Mods

904cafe

Been Around the Block
Here is the beginning... Tommorow I am going to try and throw on the new rear tire I have for it and do some minor tune-up stuff, plugs, oil etc etc. It's dying at idle, so I gotta work on that but it starts right up no prob.

sitting on her
cb2001.jpg

side shot
cb2002.jpg

my bike w/ the room mates shadow and cb160
cb2003.jpg

I have some clubmans that I will prob try to throw on tomorrow. I have some CL175 pipes I may try to mod up too... First is to get it running strong...

Re: Finally The CB200 Begins - Silver Bullet

Neat little bike. ;D
I have a Silver one as well that I'll be working on later on the Summer/Fall. I will be going with a drum brake for the front though over the mechanical disc it came with.

Congrats on the new bike...

Heres the manual, by the way:

ftp://manuals.homeftp.net/Manuals/Honda/Honda_CB200_CL200/

Cheers

thanks everyone! im really satisfied with it so far. i think this bike and i were meant to be. here is the story... the my mom grew up in Ida, Michigan (south of Detroit), come to find out this bike was sold new at a Honda dealer in Monroe, Michigan; which is the next town up, some of you from Ohio may know it as the town with the Cabela's. i case you didn't know already i am down in Jacksonville, FL; which means this bike practically found me. with a little more research it possible my mom or someone in my family in Ida knew a previous owner, possibly the original. its crazy to even think that my mother could have at one time seen this bike on the road. she had many a job in her 20's in Monroe.

so anyways, now that the history lesson is over... about the actual bike

cleaned the carbs... air filters were already VERY clean, changed the oil and plugs... removed the tank, which come to find out has been repainted (which i suspected at purchase), has also already been kreemed!!! with the tank off i started cleaning up the motor and making it a little more cosmetically appealing. i dont think i am going to do a full tear down, since i am not going to be grinding at the frame etc etc. overall fairly clean, minamal rust for a northern bike that im sure has seen its share of road salt. a good amount of road grime but nothing a little elbow greese cant fix.

as far as running goes... it def has its issues. it starts great! idles not so good, well at first its fine then it jumps to about 3-4k. not really sure why. honestly im not too knowledgeable about bikes or carb motors for that matter, i may just end up taking it in to have it tuned and looked over. seems to be running rich as well, so im going to keep messing with it a bit before i give up. however i havn't even gotten on the road yet, im still waiting until tomorrow when i can get the new rear tire mounted, new wheel bearings and shoes. i also gotta get a new bolt kit for the whole motor, it still has the phillips heads all the way around and a lot are stripped.

so a lot to go in other words!!!

ill make sure to keep it updated.... any thoughts or comments are much WELCOME!

I'm looking forward to seeing what your going to do to this bike. It has great lines.

ya i love the tank, specially with the tank pad, which is in great condition by the way...

got the rear tire on today! i made a 110/90/18 work (i was given this maxxis for free with the bike)!! looks great, fills the fender perfect (which is prob going to disappear soon anyways. i had to relocate the rear wheel brace and remove the chain gaurd but other than that it fits great.

i also got it to idle a bit better tonight, i should have tried adjusting the throttle cable from the start instead of messing with the air screws.

ill throw up some pictures tomorrow... i didn't get to take it for a spin tonight... tomorrow will be my FIRST RIDE!

ok so it rained pretty much from 5pm til about now (10pm) so no riding it tonight but i took the extra time to mount up the new rear signals and make sure the tire was nice and centered... also had time to take some pictures. enjoy AND comment!

cb2005.jpg

cb2006.jpg

cb2007.jpg

\
cb2008.jpg

cb2009.jpg

Also, having problems with the signals.... yesterday (with the old signals) it wasnt flashing at all, then i put on these new ones and they work... however the right side flashes very very slow and the left flashes a little faster but still not as fast as I would like... any ideas? relay maybe?

progress is a good thing. i really want to find one of those 200 tanks for my 175. that tire looks so mean for that little bike. is your battery charged? i was working on my bike over the weeknd and by the end of the day the blinkers wouldnt blink. charged the battery and they were fine the next day.
keep up the progress

ya that tire just fits... i still need to saw off the chain gaurd tabs, they clear but the one is pretty close. ill try to give the battery a good charge tomorrow but i think it prob had more of a charge yesterday as compared to today. plus the right side blinks slower? idk clueless, i ordered a new relay just to throw in.

has anyone used EBC brake shoes? any comments on them?

tomorrow is the first ride, if it doesnt rain. more to come. CL pipes with black wrap is soon. prob some UNI filters too, not sure on that one yet though, i know its controversial.

so i got off work a bit early today... dark clouds completely covered the sky, so i rushed home started it, let it warm up a bit (still having idle issues, sometimes its fine sometimes it wants to rev pis high). jump on ease out the clutch and down the driveway. i just cruised down my street, made a few turns, passed the house and looped back. not even two miles distance but i did shift through all the gears at low rpm's and everything seems pretty strong for the most part. no weird noises, still idles a bit rough at a stop. i didn't get on it though, still getting use to the bike, plus it was really windy. overall very pleased, i look forward to the next nice day.

did i mention this is my first bike! haha.

now i just gotta get a tag, and take the course...

the project continues... soon to come are the clubmans, cl pipes and a relocating the brake light.

questions:
i would like to keep the sidecovers on the bike, however with the cl pipes im pretty sure the left one will not work. does anyone know if i could put a CL200 left side cover on and it work? anyone happen to have one laying around? a CL175 may work too?

the side covers are different for the cl pipes. if you are going to run pods then you probably wont use side covers anyway
good luck

dcmspikes said:
the side covers are different for the cl pipes. if you are going to run pods then you probably wont use side covers anyway
good luck

thats one thing i havnt decifered. i know the cl covers are different (atleast the left side) but im wondering if the mounting tabs are spaced the same. i kind of like the look of the bike with the covers, i was going to see if i could save the covers (or get a left CL cover) still do the cl exhaust AND use the UNI filters but behind the covers??? anyone done this?

ps: bikes running super rich, its backfiring and popping on me when revving it at idle (with the factory exhaust <which has leaks>) and my plugs are all nice and fouled with gas. what needs adjusting to make it a bit more lean? i already have the air screws set to were they are suppost to 1 &1/4 turns out. will a straight piped CL exhaust lean it out or make it worse? will foam filters lean it our or make it worse?

You need to make sure you float levels are correct and that fuel is not leaking past the needle seat when the correct float level is reached. When the correct level is reached the fuel from the tank/petcocks should STOP flowing,if not it doesn't matter what you do to your jetting,mixture etc. as it will STILL run rich no mater what you do.

I always make sure the floats,needle,etc. work properly before I mess with mixture,plugs,jets etc. on a rich running bike.

so yesterday i started i took the stock bars off but got side tracked with another project and didn't have time to get the clubmans on (i also ran into a problem). with the stock bars the wiring ran inside the bars and now with the clubmans im prob going run them on the outside (to avoid having to hack them all up). however the wires were meant to go into the bars so im trying to figure out how to run the wires out. the problem is there isn't a hole in the controls, what has everyone else done in this case?

so anyways tomorrow is wrapping up the clubmans (hopefully) and mounting some UNI filters (which is a task on a CB200 because the carbs sit so close to the frame... and then maybe the CL exhaust, I bought some wrap today. we shall see...

904cafe said:
so yesterday i started i took the stock bars off but got side tracked with another project and didn't have time to get the clubmans on (i also ran into a problem). with the stock bars the wiring ran inside the bars and now with the clubmans im prob going run them on the outside (to avoid having to hack them all up). however the wires were meant to go into the bars so im trying to figure out how to run the wires out. the problem is there isn't a hole in the controls, what has everyone else done in this case?

The controls for my 360 had small holes in the bottom that I assume were put there as drains for moisture that gets in. I just carefully drilled these holes out large enough to put the wire bundles down through and then used zip ties to keep the wires out of the way and out of sight as much as possible.

well the bars are on, i stripped out two of the scews that hold on the controls so im going to try and find some today. i ended up just making the holes on the insides of the controls (the holes for the bars) a little bigger on the bottom side. just enough to squeeze the wires through. i cut about 1.5" off each side on the bars. the look and feel pretty good. just a few minor adjustments tonight and ill snap some photos.

im prob going to get started on the exhaust wrap an all tonight....

should i soak the wrap (wet it) or should i leave it dry, what have you guys found to be easier to manage?

soooo...

once again time got the best of me...
i got the handlebars pretty much where i want them, adjusted all the cables etc etc. then i started tearing off the old exhaust and grinding the tabs off the CL175 exhaust. i also rigged up some tubing for the UNI filters so they will clear my frame and still sit behind the side covers. HOWEVER im not going to be able to mount the exhaust until I find a CL200 or CL175 left side cover. so instead of finishing up the exhaust i took the carbs off and im letting them soak overnight. i recieved my carb kits in the mail yesterday so ill be cleaning them up and reassembling them here shortly. but until all of that falls into place here are some pictures...

myCafe1.jpg

myCafe2.jpg

myCafe3.jpg

comments and suggestions are ALWAYS welcome!!!!

complete overhaul on the carbs (check)....

had trouble getting some of the deposits out of the bowls. i used carb cleaner, elbow grease etc etc. finally resolved to using some chemical back in our detail department at work (acura dealership) that the guys call wheel acid. it instantly removed the stuff nothing else could.

next was the CL exhaust. i bought an off white/cream exhaust wrap to use with the intentions of paiting it high temp black once i had it all wrapped up. but once all was wrapped i decided to stick with the cream color. i think it gives it a more vintage look. the pipes took a bit of work to get back on, since the wrap limited the amount of clearence in some areas.

so after all was reassembled... i cranked her up (at 11pm at night) she started pretty quick for having slightly fouled plugs in her and having running problems from the start. the neighbors prob were not as excited... it was SUPER LOUD! but sounds good, has a nice rumble to it.

took pictures but right now its late... im tired... ill post them tomorrow.

will you come over here and kick me in the ass. if i were working at your pace i would have been done months ago. cant wait to see the pics.

haha... and i thought i had neglected it this weekend because i didnt even touch it. i still need to get a good tune done, replace the front tire and look into getting rid of that HUGE brake light. thats going down within the next week or so.... oh and i have to find time on a weekday to go get the thing titled and tagged, the MC class is sorta important too ;)

Back
Top Bottom