Kneeler Project

Doesn't require a great construction - a simple 2-3mm plate will suffice. It will spread the loads away from the pinch point at the bottom where your new fabrication meets the cross tube.

Just check the chain run and adjust shape to suit - no probs with the one the other side.

Ok, I've got it, yes, will do. Shall leave the left one til I reconstruct the rear sub frame.
The toe in will need to be revisited before I button it all up. Would like to get it to 1/4".
Thanks

beachcomber said:
Erskine ................ you've been mighty quiet over there - I NEED my sidecar fix ! ;D

I sent you an email earlier, probs at exactly the same time as you posted this lol.

Dale said:
Just read through this now. Super cool project Erskine!

Watch this space ..... I think I've got my hands on the ultimate vintage Honda single which will bolt straight into the cradle :)

I've shaken hands on it but it's not in my possession yet, and I don't want to count my chickens til the fat lady sings.

Damn damn damn. Went to collect the engine today, help the guy dig it out from the back of the shed. He'd taken it out of an '83 Spanish market XR 200 years ago ..... stamped on the block very clearly it said 124cc. Bollocks. Grrr. Thought I was sorted there.
Back to the drawing board :(

Erskine said:
Damn damn damn. Went to collect the engine today, help the guy dig it out from the back of the shed. He'd taken it out of an '83 Spanish market XR 200 years ago ..... stamped on the block very clearly it said 124cc. Bollocks. Grrr. Thought I was sorted there.

You could fit an XR200 crank and topend to those cases,I did it just recently;does it have CDi ignition and a place on the clutch cover that looks 'blocked off' behind the kickstart shaft where the decompressor shaft would normally go on the XR185? if so it's the same cases as the XL185S.
I know an XR200 engine would already have that along w/ six speeds and all the other parts you want on it.. but I'm not sure that XR200 transmission gears would be up to the task of pushing a three-wheeler as good as a strong 5 speed.

grcamna5 said:
You could fit an XR200 crank and topend to those cases,I did it just recently;does it have CDi ignition and a place on the clutch cover that looks 'blocked off' behind the kickstart shaft where the decompressor shaft would normally go on the XR185? if so it's the same cases as the XL185S.
I know an XR200 engine would already have that along w/ six speeds and all the other parts you want on it.. but I'm not sure that XR200 transmission gears would be up to the task of pushing a three-wheeler as good as a strong 5 speed.

Thanks for your post ......
The plan (if it was an XR 200) was to slap a 223 barrel and piston on it ($100). The particular model - '83 Spanish market, was 5 speed electric start only. The (125) engine was a complete bargain at $200, however, the 125 head might just pass muster on a 200 but I doubt it would be ok at 223? XR stuff costs a fortune in the UK second hand. Add on the cost of a crank, xr200 head assembly and cam (at least $200 for the head alone) and its starting to really add up. Plus milling the 125 cases to take the 223 jug.

My trials outfit has the OHV engine with a 150 jug on it. This hauls two adults just fine and is standing the test of time and abuse.

I have a spare 5 speed OHV bottom end already. I can get that to 200 easily bored and stroked with off the shelf parts, but this would need crank, 200 clutch, head, barrel, piston, valves, springs etc but we're looking at about £300 /$400.
It would bang out about the same torque as a OHC and a couple less horses.

A crate honda derived engine new is not much more, but also is not vintage. Same with the 200/250 (223) quad engines which also will slot straight into the cradle. I really wouldn't want any less than 200 cc or any more than 350cc.
I am entirely open to suggestions. I still have an option on the XR125 engine as the guy said I could go away and think about it.

Erskine said:
Thanks for your post ......
The plan (if it was an XR 200) was to slap a 223 barrel and piston on it ($100). The particular model - '83 Spanish market, was 5 speed electric start only. The (125) engine was a complete bargain at $200, however, the 125 head might just pass muster on a 200 but I doubt it would be ok at 223? XR stuff costs a fortune in the UK second hand. Add on the cost of a crank, xr200 head assembly and cam (at least $200 for the head alone) and its starting to really add up. Plus milling the 125 cases to take the 223 jug.

My trials outfit has the OHV engine with a 150 jug on it. This hauls two adults just fine and is standing the test of time and abuse.

I have a spare 5 speed OHV bottom end already. I can get that to 200 easily bored and stroked with off the shelf parts, but this would need crank, 200 clutch, head, barrel, piston, valves, springs etc but we're looking at about £300 /$400.
It would bang out about the same torque as a OHC and a couple less horses.

A crate honda derived engine new is not much more, but also is not vintage. Same with the 200/250 (223) quad engines which also will slot straight into the cradle. I really wouldn't want any less than 200 cc or any more than 350cc.
I am entirely open to suggestions. I still have an option on the XR125 engine as the guy said I could go away and think about it.

if the 125(124cc: CB125S OHC? or CG125?)is a CB125S that has the blocked-off hole for the decompressor shaft in the right case cover behind the kickstart shaft and CDi stock then(I have an 81' CB125S & it's like this)it already has the spigot large enough in the cases to accept the XR200 cylinder liner.Here w/ the USA spec 1981' CB125S is the first year they came out w/ the CB125S cases w/ the same exact part # as all the XL185S cases and they will all accept an XR200 top end,but you will want to find a cyl. head that has the decompressor because otherwise it will eat-up your kickstart ratchet mechanism

Erskine said:

Hope you bought him some new glasses Steff !!!

That's a real pain - I was pumped when I got your "excited" mail !

You just know the right one WILL come along. I've been a fatalist for many years - Que Sera and all that bollox. One door closes and another opens - that's life.

There's several build threads on my regular radar - no less than yours.

I have had to cull my projects - but that won't mean I will still have a deep interest in many others on the forum.

As you know, keep an eye on the Aus ebay. Anything you need get it posted to my place and I can send it to you.

Keep in mind the Pound is worth about $2 here.

Thanks for that info grcamna5, very useful. Which ever way I look at it, getting the XR 125 out to 200/223, is an expensive project. It put the cost up to nearly that of a 250 racing quad engine which uses the same cradle and has the same chainline, also a v heavy duty clutch. I've accepted it's going to cost me, but then this opens other options like maybe an entirely different engine and make some fundamental changes to the frame cradle.

TJ, I feel for you. Your presence on the forum is much appreciated. I think it was genuine assumption by the importer .... he took an engine out of a xr200 and theres no reason for him to have thought it was anything but a 200 engine. He knows he could sell it on evilbay as a xr125 for 2 - 3 times what he was offering it to me for. I simply lucked out. As you said, it offers new opportunities....... I'm not phased if this means major frame surgery. However, the engine suggested by Dohc ie the ATC 200x would do it nicely. Those 3 wheelers were sold here in numbers. I know, because I rolled one on a glennside in Scotland while spraying nettles. It was frightening. So there is a chance I might find one.

Cheers Brodie. The bucket racing scene down there must have done development work on these small engines, there's bound to be someone banging out some special parts.

I'm also interested in Bucket Racer mods,I'd like to use them on my engine. :) specifically the exhaust header pipe i.d. and length.

Ok chaps, big u-turn ahead.
In the light of facing a bigger investment than expected on a suitable power plant, I've decided that if I'm spending that kind of money I want the bike road legal. To get my current chassis registered would require a rash of tests, inspections and certification that are not financially viable.
So ..... I've sourced a '74 Honda CD175 frame and swinging arm that has a V5 (title)
This means that not only is it road tax exempt, cheap historic insurance but also can have old style black and white number plates (registration plates)
I've gone for this frame because:
All the Honda bits I've already collected will fit.
It's a strong frame with some v handy mounting options and shouldn't get the flexing I feel on my trials frame ( CB/CG family) at the swinging arm pivot when I push it hard cornering.
The steering head is comparatively low so my leading links will fit.
The cradle is large enough to accept a variety of the small generic Honda based engines.
So long as the chair chassis is bolted on and not welded to the frame it is classed as an accessory and won't need an engineers report (££) however with this frame I can make it structurally very strong.
With a 250 single engine fitted in place of the standard 175 twin I may have to have the engine mounts inspected for the insurers but that is no big deal.
If I can find them I'd like to use a standard CD tank, seat and side panels as they are a design classic. It's quite hard to source CD mudguards now because the were a bit of a water trap and most have rotted out.
It's been a hard decision to make because a lot of work has gone into the project and will now be scrapped but there's no point having a toy and being restricted to paying out track fees every time I want to play.
Wotch this space :)

stroker crazy said:
Impossible not to!

This project has had more ups and downs than a rollercoaster.

Crazy
Indeed, it's a great learning curve tho. Off on the scrounge now for the loan of a sawzall to cut the welds that hold the top tree of the leading link forks on. Going to have to be very careful doing this little operation.

Back
Top Bottom