Holy cr*p it's a 1976 Honda CXRL650R street-tracking dirt-jumper! (and beer)...

Been at delirium bar in Brussels, the delirium tremens is really, really good. Too bad you no pic

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

2014-10-31 19.57.02.jpg

Mercury Brewing Co.'s Clown Shoes Undead Party Crasher American Imperial Stout. 10% ABV, and timely for the holiday, no?

Happy Hallowe'en everybody! Stay tuned; the winter bike-building season is coming up hard and fast...

Nice Clown Shoes - looking forward to "Hammer of the Holy 2015" in Jan if I get lucky enough to get one from the 450 cases. They used reconditioned bourbon barrels and Clement Rhum. Sounds tasty....

I like sight-glass fuel-gauges, but I think 3/8" tubing and clunky NPT fittings look like ass. So here's my attempt to make a good idea look a little less shitty. If it works, cool. If it fails, at least it was cheap!

First, I turned up three 1/4" x 7/16" stainless tophat bungs, and threaded them internally to #10-32...

2014-11-28 11.48.40.jpg

Then I did some very intensely careful measurements and layouts that totally failed to approach any sort of symmetry before drilling permanent 1/4" holes into my tank...

2014-11-28 11.48.27.jpg

The tophat bungs go in like so (to be welded, of course)...

2014-11-28 11.49.33.jpg

Then the fittings and hose:

2014-11-28 11.54.03.jpg

The fittings are nickle-plated brass, sealed with Buna-N o-rings. If they refuse to play nice with gasoline, I'll swap to Viton seals. The threads are straight, not pipe, so the barbed end can be independently positioned. The tube is the same 1/8" PVC fuel-rated hose I've been using for carb vents, fuel lines, power jets, etc.

After a brief year-long schedule delay, reassembly begins...

IMG_20141218_101044.jpg

The kickstand mount is on, and the frame is painted. Tank needs some weldering and paintering, and there's plenty of loose ends, but all the hard mounts are done and anything/everything that gets bolted on now is probably (hopefully) going on for the last time.

IMG_20141218_094350.jpg

What I lack in fabrication, welding, painting, and assembly skill I make up for with creativity and general kick-assery.

IMG_20141218_094622.jpg

I am pleased with the final tank placement.

IMG_20141218_100934.jpg

I am particularly pleased how my phenomenally careful measurements utterly random flukey luck has resulted in exactly the minimum possible tank-to-fork clearance... I'm trying not to think about the sight-glass on the other side, so please don't ask me about it. Thanks.

Still working out a suitable mounting solution, but I'm all about this Chappy headlight...

IMG_20141218_101218.jpg

Braaaap Baraaap Braaaaaap!

aaaaaaaaaaaand GO!

IMG_20141220_181459.jpg

Another winner from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel, this is their Solstice d'hiver. Literally a Winter Solstice beer on this, the winter solstice itself. Good solid Barleywine-style ale, on the uphill side of 10% ABV. Whew! Glad I only bought two; any more and all bike progress would cease for days...

Just don't turn hard left LOL. Nice, I need to find one of those. I love the Winter Warmer ale from Piccaroons and that looks similar.

is that the same tank from the CB360?

I love the way everything is coming together here.

Put the kickstand on the wrong side (make an entirely new kickstand): will keep your bars away from your site gauge and make your bike look confused when parking in groups.

Cursh said:
is that the same tank from the CB360?

I think so. I mean, it's Honda, and it looks like it, but I'm no expert.

I love the way everything is coming together here.

I'll drink to that! At least i will once I restock the fridge...

Put the kickstand on the wrong side (make an entirely new kickstand): will keep your bars away from your site gauge and make your bike look confused when parking in groups.

&^*$%*&$% kickstands suck. Never again will I start a project with a frame that is lacking a viable kickstand mount. Never mention kickstands to me again. Just for that, pass me a beer.

Seriously. I need a beer.

The near-pathetic push to shovel another meager load of productivity into the bitter dregs of 2014 continues...

2014-12-30 13.11.23.jpg

The paint still needs work. Not too much more, mind you, for I have suspiciously low standards. Not entirely sold on the idea of running the black rubber trim around the pinch weld, but it intrigues me. Sight glass makes me feel funny in my pants. Good times ahead!

2014-12-30 13.16.09.jpg

Added these here super-sweet mega-custom steering-stop extender-screws...

2014-12-30 13.15.35.jpg

...which seem to have resolved any fork-to-tank clearance unhappiness.

2014-12-30 13.18.53.jpg

Old Hondas (or at least, poser new Hondas that want to look old) should always be red.

:Insert a clever comment about paint-remover fumes here:

2014-12-30 13.37.22.jpg

Infill refinished with enamel, and the raised leter edges dressed with 400-grit. Nice, but not so nice that anyone will confuse this for a 100-point resto.

2015-01-04 13.37.17.jpg

In a lucky fluke, I found M3x6mm flathead screws from McMaster in black-oxide coated stainless steel to replace the gory rust nuggets previously holding the tank badges on. I like black screws; you don't have to waste time disguising them with Sharpie.

Nice, and the beer involved? I like those reviews as much as the work you are doing on the bike LOL.

Went back and looked for it and didn't find. (Not enough beer perhaps?) I'd love to hear a little about the finish on the frame and triples and other bits. I love that industrial bronzy machine tool looking stuff. Paint or powder?

This amusing little Yamaha Chappy headlight was one of the first things I picked up for this build. Never mind the useless 6V sealed beam and useless interior volume, it just looks so damn right...

IMG_20141218_101218.jpg

It was always going to be fussy to mount. The 43mm XR forks have this necked-down section, presumably perfect for use with the standard XR rubber-band headlight/numberplate mounting scheme, but otherwise incompatible with any other clean clamp. My tank clearance is (ahem) minimal, so the headlight mounts needed to be slim; no funky hinged universal mounts with layers of shim material.

I like the LSL mounts, but they seem hard to find and crazy expensive. I went with these cheaper versions from Amazon:

motoears.jpg

Unfortunately, the clamps are too close together to fit anywhere except right above the lower triple-clamp, making the headlight way too low. Also, the ears themselves are too long, pushing the light too far forward. Lastly, with the clamps in one position, the ears are wider than the fender (mad spacers required to mount the light); mounted the other way, the ears were just a bit too narrow (requiring der bendernator action). Well, at least the clamps aren't without some merit, so I just had to jigger up some new arms...

Stayed up too late re-learning basic CAD, churned out a half-dozen cheezy designs, then trotted down to my local waterjetter this morning:

2015-01-09 11.11.45.jpg

The arms needed an offset bent into them, and additional locating holes for the weird little Yamaha mounts, but otherwise the works came together very quickly.

2015-01-09 14.15.21.jpg

The arms are taller, to span the necked-down fork tube section, and they keep the light reasonably tight to the frame.

2015-01-09 14.13.31.jpg

2015-01-09 14.16.34.jpg

Aesthetically, the light would look better mounted lower, centered between the upper and lower triple-clamps. Practically, the high(er) mounted light should throw the beam past the full-size fender a little more effectively. It also leaves room for a natty little toolbag, bedroll, oil cooler, and/or laser-guided potato-cannon... Stay tuned.

NonFiction said:
I'd love to hear a little about the finish on the frame and triples and other bits. I love that industrial bronzy machine tool looking stuff. Paint or powder?

It's paint; Rust-Oleum 248955 "Cast Coat Iron" high-temp engine enamel. The tins are Rust-Oleum 7466830 "International Red" tractor enamel. For prep, the steel parts are all bead-blasted to 80-grit and immediately shot with etching primer. The alloy parts are bead-blasted and/or acid-etched and shot with zinc chromate before etching primer. I'm a lousy painter, but at least I'm confident that I'm doing most everything I can to get the shit to stick.

Back
Top Bottom