Anyone else with a vinyl fetish?

anarki650

Been Around the Block
I'm talking about music of course :eek:

I just got my hands on a turntable again after several years of my vinyl being relocated to a corner of my closet. Nothing else out there can replicate the warmth of vinyl. And if you're into vintage tunes, they never sound right on CD compared to vinyl...

Other than my bike roaring down the highway under my ass there's nothing I'd rather hear than some Jimi, or Clapton, or old ZZ Top spinning on the table.

Although I prefer keeping my vinyls in mint condition, Its true, nothing beats good old vinyl. It doesnt suffer from compression issues related to cd's, allows for a vibrant, more natural range of sound in my opinion.

MP3's are by far the worst tho!!!

I have about 600 vinyls. Stopped buying vinyl after Pink Floyd's "Momentarty lapse of Reason". Not a great album. "Final Cut" was their last good album. Never did get into the CD thing.

Hoofhearted said:
I have about 600 vinyls. Stopped buying vinyl after Pink Floyd's "Momentarty lapse of Reason". Not a great album. "Final Cut" was their last good album. Never did get into the CD thing.

Is this the the same Hoofhearted from El Mirage and J/J? If so, how are ya? Nice to see a familiar name/screen name.

I live in a house with 6 other vinyl junkies. Sure we all have our own tables in our rooms, but buying the turntable for the kitchen was the best $50 I've ever spent!

i'm still rockin vinyl

i only buy stuff that i have to have, like coloured or picture disks or rareties

My vinyl collection consists of stuff that's been handed down to me through the years from my dad. After he passed away most of the rest of his collection (small really, but a lot of really good stuff) was passed down to me too. I've got a couple of platters I picked up through the years, but mostly it's all his vintage stuff.

I switched over to cassette tapes when they became available. All the snapping and poping of NEW records- couldn't take it anymore. I felt like the quality just plummeted for some reason.

I almost made the switch back to cassettes....they're soooo cheap to buy. You can pick em up at used record stores for a buck or two. Then I remembered why they sucked in the 80's/90's. The players eat them.

Hoofhearted said:

Oh, a Pink Floyd fan.
Well, my vinyl collection includes Nick Mason "Fictitious Sports" as well as Rick Wright "Wet Dream." ;D
I also have Atom Heart Mother on quadraphonic 8 track, but that's another story.....

Swapmeet Louie said:
Is this the the same Hoofhearted from El Mirage and J/J? If so, how are ya? Nice to see a familiar name/screen name.

Its me. How you doing? After the Waters split I kinda stopped buying albums. Now I'm in a time warp thing. But its all cool.,

IF anyone's in the NYC area this upcoming weekend Oct 24th + 25th .. there is a great Record Fair held by WFMU 91.1Fm.. Fantastic Event from a Fantastic Station.

Any one who's in the area i highly recommend it, i went last year and it was awsome. even non-vynil junkie will enjoy thier AV lounge, and live performances ... This year they have the Trashmen playing!!

Also be sure to check out the Norton Table (no not the British Bike Co.) and check out their fantistica Rockabilly and R&B collections...Divine.

www.wfmu.org for more info..

I've lost count how many records I have. I picked up 3 in the last week.
My band just released our first colored vinyl 7". We only do cassette and vinyl recordings.

coverback.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/geminicricketband

Hey blake that rocks! I love cassette, and i love vynil. your hitting a home run. I've been recording stuff onto 4track cassette (and 8track cassette for a little bit) for a while. i love it. Where do you guys get your vynils pressed, do you do it through a record company or self release?

I cant wait to check your stuff out when i get home from work.

phrige said:
Hey blake that rocks! I love cassette, and i love vynil. your hitting a home run. I've been recording stuff onto 4track cassette (and 8track cassette for a little bit) for a while. i love it. Where do you guys get your vynils pressed, do you do it through a record company or self release?

I cant wait to check your stuff out when i get home from work.

4 track is the way to go. set it up and record live. That's how we like it. We get our vinyl pressed at United Record Pressing( "URP") in Nashville, TN. There are some other guys in Memphis/Nashville that will do short run orders in numbers lower than 100 if you want to put out limited edition stuff. We've did one 100 run cassette, a 300 run vinyl single, and we're doing a 100 run cassette EP as well as a 300 run 12" split with another garage/rockabilly/punk band from Florida. We're not officially on a label but we've released things on Popgun Recordings and Bumblebear records. I'm sending out a batch of records tomorrow to several labels, mags, and radio stations including WFMU. Holy crap! The Trashmen? AWESOME.

I got a panasonic turn table at salvation army for $8 or something like that. Sadly it doesnt have a needle though and I never got around to getting one because all my money goes into my bike. But ya salvation army is pretty cool for records, they are cheap, and while theres a lot of crap, theres also at least one thing worth grabbing everytime I go.

Wow thats very cool Blake. I'll have to check them out when i finally release some material.

I listen to your stuff earlier too, very cool. The guitar sounds especially nice. you get some nice tones from your amp, and the various reverbs and echoes on the vocals were awsome.

I'll try and catch you guys when your nearby, (Philly PA is the closest you get to me), Seems like you guys get some nice tours goin. Good luck with it.

Where are you? Philly isn't a solid date yet. Our friends just had their van robbed there. EVERYTHING was stolen. We're thinking of skipping Philly and NYC. Heard nothing but bad things.

UGH! no way! That really blowwsss...

well im up in north jersey.. maybe I'll have to co-ordinate one of your shows with a trip. Been meenin to go to Texas, and also out west. Somewhere in there we'll def cross paths. Sorry again to hear about your friends. thats the blessing and curse of vans. so damn convenient.. buy so damn convenient for crooks too... Had a Director of Photography boss i work for, he parked his van outside on a busy street NYC, good neighborhood.. hoodlums broke in and stole a bunch of really expensive rented lenses and stuff. in the 10mins it took him to run inside the film lab, get a DVD and come back out....

hope they can get themselves back together.

Deep Purple, King Crimson, Allman Brothers... all sound so much better on vinyl...

Back
Top Bottom