73 CB 750 - First Cafe Projected Aptly Named, "EXCESS"

What am I doing wrong in my life???? Thats is probaly the cooliest thing you own if not I want pics of what that item is!

THANK YOU for all of your positive feedback!! To be mentioned in the same sentence as Carpy is pretty damn cool. I actually started this project because I could not afford to have Carpy build me a bike (at the time he was charging between $8,000 - $10,000 for one of his bikes). This is the second rebuild of this bike, you may see in the first pic the orange ghost flames layed down on the tank and the orange in the heat guards on the exhaust. I beat the piss out of this bike for about 6 years before it took a spot in the back of my parents garage for a while, picked up a used wrecked ZX-7R Ninja (then several other bikes).

Guys like Carpy, Benji from Benji's Cafe Racers, Greg from Ohio Cafe Racers gave me a ton of insperation for this project. Especially Benji for his tank, seat and oil tank combo and Greg who is now one of my good friends and riding buddies for all of his work on the project (welding, lacing rims among other things and a ton of advice and pointers). Other individuals or businesses that helped with this project was WBS Fabrication who handles the rebuild of the engine (this damn thing pulls like a frieght train now) and a few other tricks, not to mention Joel from Image One Art and Paint from Ada, Ohio.

TO answer a few of your answers:

- the paint cost around a grand and was worth every penny. Joel started off with a gray base coat, body work came from Benjis primmed and paint ready for the most part. Next came the silver metal flake, which I told him I wanted an obnixious amount of flake and he was able to accomplish. He then burried the flake in clear and painted on the stripes and Japenese Rising Sun Flag logo includning the word Excess in Japenese script. He then burried those in multiple coats of clear. Pics do not do this job justice, the flag and stripes look like they are floating over the flake and everything looks ten miles deep. Awesome job....

- the coolest thing in my life would be my ten month old son Eddie (while I do not own him by far the coolest), I look forward to getting him in to bikes like my father did!

IMG_0014.jpg

- I have owned this for about seven years also pretty damn cool, not nearly as cool as the cafe. The torque is fun though!

IMG_0035.jpg

IT IS FOR SALE.........

bgfootball67 said:
Thanks for the compliments, last night while riding the engine let go!*!* Hopefully it was just a top end.....

man, that sucks!

i just wanted to say, i love the use of color contrast without it being a bold over the top version of orange. very nice!

ed, man, you looked too sad last night. i have no doubts it will be fixed soon. it is a minor setback in this awesome project. keep up the spirits.

Very nice ride. I'm sure you'll sort out the issues... i always manage on my 360.

WHere did you get those upper triple tree clamp? It's really nice and clean, perfect for clipons.

Awesome bike. BCR makes some nice pieces. Where did you get the headlight ears? Seem to be missing a bolt on one of them too ;)

BCR makes some great pieces! With my size I could not go with fiberglass, love the steel touch...

Hopefully the missing screw was in a mock up pick, pretty sure they are both there now. The ears come from Kevin at TTR 400 http://www.ttr400.com/ He makes some nice pieces, I am currently running the billet tappet covers, headlight ears and billet rear brake stay arm.

what material did you use to make the exhaust? what diameter tubing and what kind of angles did you use if you remember off hand.
Thanks and great bike.

X-Pipe - http://x-pipe.com/ Monty sent me the wrong pipe, I had to cut 1 1/2" out of the pipe where it goes into the head of the engine and an 1 1/2" out of the down pipe. Love the sounds not to sure about gains, since I did a ton of work to the engine too.....

I would love to take credit for the seat, but that is the way it came from Benjie's Cafe Racers: http://www.benjiescaferacer.com

I'm sorry to hear of your engine troubles but the bike is gorgeous, I'm sure you'll be able to get it back up soon.
Nice job!

hay man sorry to here about the eng trouble. hope you sort it out soon.
love the bike, great job.
what is your other bike, the one for sale??????????????
its awsome aswell.
i know excactly what your talking about with your young lad, i have a brand new daughter only a couple
weeks old, very cool.
any way hope it works out for ya.
later.

Engine troubles have been taken care of for quite some time now, just waiting for the crappy weather to get better before I pull her back out. Turns out the cam chain came loose and exhaust valve 4 was bouncing off the piston. I am actually getting a custom made aluminum oil tank made for the beast and will probably have it polished or anodiozed?

The other bike for sale is a 2000 Confederate Hellcat ($14,000), she has about 9,000 miles on her with and S&S 100" engine. The list of components on that bike is endless: Marchesini rims, ISR brakes, Works rear shocks, Pioli front shocks, billet everything and carbon fiber tank. Light and incredibly fast with a TON of torque. Swore I would never get rid of this bike, will probably regret it, but too many other bikes and the Hellcat is not practical either. The cafe I made was my first bike, so will probably keep that one instead of the Hellcat...

Also have a 78 GS 1000 for sale along with a 76 CB 750 F2. :eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom