www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Japan Meets Britain...  (Read 80603 times)

Offline Mortikan

Re: Japan Meets Britain...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2008, 21:57:02 »
that is some ride !!!!!
ride what you own

Offline locO leoN

• administrator
  • Is that the best you got? OK.. now my TURN...
    • DoTheTon
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2008, 10:25:58 »
Hey Vince,
Im wondering why you went with Amal carbs.. Is there any benefit, (other than looking cool), to have those brit carbs on the bike.
I understand that the internal sliders on those carbs tend to warp and get distorded, and causes air leaks and therefore fucking up the idle and making them difficult to balance and adjust.

Ive just recently rebuilt my Amal carbs for my Commando and had to replace the sliders.

Offline Vince Lupo

• Ridden Not Trailered!
    • Direction One, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2008, 19:49:25 »
Sorry for the delay in replying.  The reason I went with Amals is partly due to the fact that my 40+ year old Keihins were worn out, and a simple rebuild kit wouldn't do the trick.  Plus, simply replacing them with another set of 40+ year old Keihins (unless they were NOS) wouldn't have put me any further ahead.  Mikunis would not work either, because the VM26's are not meant to be bolted directly to the engine (trust me, I tried it), and with the stock tank and petcock configuration of the SuperHawk the carbs could not be moved back from the engine (bolting those carbs to the engine does not allow the gas enough room to atomise).  So, these Amal 626's bolt perfectly onto the SuperHawk, and work beautifully right out of the box.  The slides wear as a result of snapping the throttle -- better to roll it on with these puppies.  Plus, the slides are made of the same metal as the bodies.  This can be remedied by either replacing the slides with brass or ceramic coated slides -- not the chrome ones, as the chroming process that Amal uses causes the slides to be brittle, and then you could be in for a whole other mess of trouble if they happen to break.  Lund Machine out in Washington state does resleeving of the Amals for about $100.00 each, and then you don't have any more troubles (or so I understand).  But, I've also heard of guys who have Tridents with the original Amals and have never had any troubles.  Classic Bike Magazine did a thing a few months back that mentioned Amals only lasting about 8,000 miles before the slides go, but for some riders 8,000 miles could mean 15 years of service!  Other folks who know these carbs far more intimately than I say that they last much more than 8,000 miles, but the first signs of their wearing is the erratic idle.  Mind you, even with the erratic idle you could probably still run them for another 10 years.  They are (in my opinion) just a good reliable carb whose design has been around for 41 years, but of course, unlike the SuperHawk's Keihins, you can buy them brand new. 

The other reason for the Amals is to keep with the 'Japan Meets Britain' motif.  Of course, if I decide somewhere down the line to do a 'Japan Meets Italy' thing, then maybe Dellortos are next?

Hope all of this helps..... 
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2008, 19:52:25 by Vince Lupo »

Offline sclay115

« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2008, 10:34:45 »
That bike is gorgeous, I keep opening this thread even after I read it to look at the pictures. Top notch man, top notch.

Steve

Offline locO leoN

• administrator
  • Is that the best you got? OK.. now my TURN...
    • DoTheTon
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2008, 10:47:55 »
Very interesting!!.. Thanks for the reply..!!

Offline Vince Lupo

• Ridden Not Trailered!
    • Direction One, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2008, 15:49:17 »
Well jeez, thanks very much for all the kind words.

It has, however, turned out to be possibly the most expensive SuperHawk in the world (at least in terms of money spent, that is!), and I know I'll never get my money out of it, but I have no intention of ever selling this 'art project'.  I have made a few minor changes since the last photos -- new clutch with 6 plates, new 2 1/2 slides instead of the 3's that were in the carbs, the rear torque arm was painted gloss black, and I took the 'Ton Up Boy' and the coffee cup off the visor, and have replaced them with a metal Honda wing (we'll see how that looks).  My mechanic told me that with the new clutch he wheelied the bike a few days ago!  I'm picking it up in a few days, so I'll post a new photo, and see what folks think about that 'wing' on the visor.

Thanks Again!

Offline Vince Lupo

• Ridden Not Trailered!
    • Direction One, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2008, 16:50:40 »
Okay, opinions needed here.  I just picked up he bike today and of course it runs like a champ -- pulls hard from the whole range, and it's nice to now be able to snick it into neutral at a standstill without having to rock the bike back and forth.  The only question mark I have is regarding the 'wing' on the headlamp visor.  I can't tell whether it 'works' or not, but if it doesn't work it's simply a case of replacing the visor, which is a $ 7.00 part and no big deal.

So, any thoughts out there regarding this latest addition?  Is there now too much going on with the front of the bike?  Does it need to go or does it blend with the rest of what's going on?

Many thanks!

« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2008, 16:55:07 by Vince Lupo »

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2008, 17:04:25 »
It makes for a bit of a busy front end.  If you weren't running a pedestrian slicer on the fender already, it might have worked on the front end of the fender like on an Indian.

Where did you get the wing anyhow - pretty neat little piece.  I'd like to see it without the visor at all - I think that would look perfect.  That's a gorgeous little headlight - it doesn't need all the fancy trim parts.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline Vince Lupo

• Ridden Not Trailered!
    • Direction One, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2008, 17:25:52 »
I got the wing from eBay (Apex Cycles), and it came with a visor that was meant for a CA95 or something small like that.  I bought it thinking it would fit my 305 Dream, but the headlight shape is different.  So, I just held onto it in the hopes that I'd be able to do something with it someday.  As I say, I was curious to see what the wing would look like on the SuperHawk, so now I know! 

Hmm, without the visor at all you say.  Haven't seen the bike without the visor for quite a while.....maybe that might be the way to go.

Thanks!

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2008, 21:03:37 »
Here!
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."