basket case 69 cb350

jmeperu

here she is in all her glory. a big pile of crap that will soon be a sweet ass cafe racer. most of the chrome is good still, the motor has lowish miles and the price was right making it a good bike to grab up.

thepile.jpg

DSC_1435.jpg

day 1:
sift thru the parts and find the parts i want to use and what is extra.
done

sort those parts into two piles, parts that get paint and parts that get polished.
done

take all parts off the frame and get frame ready for paint removal.
done

day 2:
here is the frame, a little rust and a few coats of paint that have to go bye bye.

DSC_1429.jpg

almost all the paint is gone, just need to get a few nooks and crannys and im done. whew.

DSC_1439.jpg

day 3:
looking at the motor more closely, it looks like the gaskets need to be replaced. not unexpected since the bike is 40 years old.
also one valve stem seal is leaking and there is oil in an exhaust port so i just ordered a complete gasket and seal kit.

DSC_1434.jpg

the cam has some damage on one of the lobes. not sure if im going to replace it or just run it. its easy to pull so ill decide later.

i pulled the entire top end and the cylinders look fine and the pistons and rings look fine aswell. just some carbon on the top.
on the downside the cam chain guide is destroyed and needs to be replaced. now im wondering if i should open up the bottom end. ill wait till i get the gasket set and make sure i have the correct bottom end seals.

DSC_1456.jpg

i have a blasting cabinet and a powder coating setup so all this stuff will be clean or a different color the next time you see it.

DSC_1457.jpg

i pulled the bottom end apart to clean and inspect it because there were broken pieces of cam chain guide floating around there.

DSC_1475.jpg

all looks good, just a little gummy.
all cleaned up now

DSC_1490.jpg

DSC_1496.jpg

DSC_1498.jpg

DSC_1497.jpg

there is a small scuff on the inside of the cylinder, so i found some .25 over pistons the new bore will get rid of the scuffs.

DSC_1458.jpg

im thinking all gloss black on the motor except for polished side covers and polished other little bits.
what do you guys think?

Looking good. Engine paint sounds good. Sketch out a plan for us, I love the red frame!

powder coated the triple tree

DSC_1518.jpg

i didnt have a top bearing or race so i found one for an xr400r which fit the stem perfectly but not the frame. so i filled the gap on the frame with jb weld, tightened the bearings down and wiggled them till they were straight and inline then let the weld set up. and i cleaned up the bearings since they were quite mucky

DSC_1538.jpg

DSC_1527.jpg

DSC_1537.jpg

now if started my seat, so far all i have is a huge wad of expanding foam on a piece of wood. today i will start shaping it, cant wait for work to end today.

here it is all mocked up, looks good.

DSC_1556.jpg

and with the foam

DSC_1562.jpg

Is there nothing foam can't do? Or J.B. Weld for that matter? Good thinkin' on that bearing fix. I'm frame painting today myself.

allright ive just laid down the 3rd layer of fiberglass for my seat. im starting to think this may be the worst idea ive ever had. my gloves keep ripping, my hands are sticky (maybe forever) and it is going to need a lot more work.

here is some pics of my progress.

1. all is good so far.
DSC_1590.jpg

2. im happy with the shape
DSC_1589.jpg

3. ive never done this before, here goes nothing
DSC_1594.jpg

4. that resin hardened faster than i could work, but it seems like im doing a good job so far.
DSC_1596.jpg

5. what is happening? its turing to shit! noooooooo! well i hope a flap disc can get some of those globs and crap cleaned up.
DSC_1598.jpg

at least my template is still good so if i need to start over i can pick up at the glassing part.
hopefully when i trim it out it will look nicer.

jmeperu said:
thanks, it should look bad ass with a satin black and polished motor and raw tank

That will for sure be sick!

I think on the glass that you might have used a little too much hardner. That stuff lumps up when it cures too quickly. All is not lost though! It's fixable with a little effort. A body file would be your best friend in this case....I've used them on glass a lot.

Kanticoy said:
I think on the glass that you might have used a little too much hardner. That stuff lumps up when it cures too quickly. All is not lost though! It's fixable with a little effort. A body file would be your best friend in this case....I've used them on glass a lot.

i think you are right with the hardener. if i use too little hardener will it take longer to harden or will it not harden all the way?
i sure could use a little more time to apply the resin, its turning to a jelly in about 4 minutes.

cool thats what i was going to use.
your bike in your avatar reminds me of batman. all it needs is a cape and some cool gadets!

Im building a seat & need just a basic shape. With the foam could I get some pretty sharp edges? Im basically going for a final product look with the foam. Possible? Then Ill use that shape as reference on my build. Low expansion foam?

Builds looking good. Should do something really fancy with the pipes. Black with raw tank sounds tres bon.

Enjoi.

if i ever make another seat i'll use florist foam. its much less messy and the more important part, i dont have to wait for it to dry. and yeah you can make the foam have nice hard edges.

Back
Top Bottom