Flying J CB550 Atomic #13 DONE! Vote at BOTM

ffjmoore

Coast to Coast
DTT BOTM WINNER
Im putting together a cafe bike for my Girlfriend. I bought the bike not running. Im putting it back to mostly stock as far as looks go so she can learn to ride it. While its stock looking im going to pep up the engine and then i will move on to the cafe looks. Ok fast forward 1 year Aug 2010. Girlfriend is now my wife. Bike was put back to mostly stock and ridden hundreds of miles. Then torn back apart for the rebuild. I will continue to post the bike current state on this first post. I will try and keep this post up to date but if your really intrested most of the feed back and conversation is at this thread.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=51902.0
FInished June of 2013
CB550caferacer08_zpsb44f4004.jpg

here it is when it came home
PC270088.jpg

stripped it down, painted the frame and polished a few things
IMG_0380.jpg

Found a seat that fit but i dont like it.
IMG_0382.jpg

painted a few parts
IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0389copy.jpg

got the right seat
IMG_0400.jpg

polished a few things while i rebuilt the carbs
IMG_0375.jpg

got it all together and rideable but needs new tires
IMG_0481.jpg

Powder coated some rims, laced em up, trued em slap em on a BAM!
IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

new aluminum sprocket
IMG_1228.jpg

and a fancy sprocket cover i made. any 550 guys want one let me know.
IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

next up is a ported head and a 650 cam. I have the head apart, just need to get to grinding.
then i will get on building my first fiberglass cafe seat. Its hard to stay focused. Have 2 bikes in progress and 1 more waiting in the wings.
IMG_1224.jpg

Re: CB550 build for the Girl

well i rode the bike for a while then i tore it down. going to have a go at a cafe seat. Im going to try something different that i have not really seen yet. Bike wil get all new wire and electrical. Think im going to chop the forks down 3 inches. Then eventually ill put a motor in with my ported head and 650 cam. Here is where its at right now. My next step is to get the rear loop done so i can start glassing the cafe hump.
IMG_9472.jpg

This is some great stuff. I don't even like vacuuming out my wife's car so I won't be building a bike for her! :D

Seriously though, that is some good work so far.

Re: CB550 Alloy sprint

OK so the build is taking a different route. Im Going light weight and expensive. I bought a japanese alloy fairing and I'm having a custom alloy sprint tank built. Once i have all that on the bike i am going to try and get a rear cafe hump made from alluminum to match. here are a few teaser pics.
DSC01066.jpg

010.jpg

Re: CB550 alloy sprint

Yes, i have an aluminum 18 im going to use and then i will get an aluminum front also. The plan is to make the bike as light as possible.

wow... That fairing is awesome. This is going to be a crazy bike! Keep the pics coming!

I like the sprocket cover... what the $$ for that? Can you do other designs?

ffjmoore said:
well i rode the bike for a while then i tore it down. going to have a go at a cafe seat. Im going to try something different that i have not really seen yet. Bike wil get all new wire and electrical. Think im going to chop the forks down 3 inches. Then eventually ill put a motor in with my ported head and 650 cam. Here is where its at right now. My next step is to get the rear loop done so i can start glassing the cafe hump.
IMG_9472.jpg

what kind of tank is that?

...with knee dents welded in.

looking forward to seeing more on this alloy light-weight beast!

they were hammered in and then bondoed. Still has a little filling and sanding to be done.
tank1.jpg

tank3.jpg

Nice job, tank looks really clean and well done on the knee dent work.

Ported head is in the shop getting a valve job and the tank is in its final stages. Said it could be ready by the end of the week. :D
DSC01124.jpg

This is what Im dreaming my bike will look like. Photoshop mockup
thefuture2.jpg

That is gonna be freakin awesome - sure fire nominee for BOTM!

Back
Top Bottom