My first project 1983 Yamaha sr 500

Roiber

Been Around the Block
Hello everyone!

This is my first Project and its also my first motorcycle!

Im thinking about to make a brat style look!

the bike has 68000 kilometers. It will need new tires for sure... new seat..breaks and stuff like that..
I NEED YOUR HELP PEOPLE!!!! cause i dont know many things about motorcycle..

One thing ive noticed is that the strear is a bit crooked (i dont know the exact word..) but i hope you understand.

when you drive you need to turn the strear 1 cm to the left lets say to keep the bike strait. You think this is a major proble or expencive to fix?

id like to apologise for my english..but im trying my best :D

any suggestions are welcome!

here are some pics

DSC00555.jpg

DSC00556.jpg

DSC00557.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

The front forks may be tweaked out of position or a fork tube bent. Try putting the front wheel against a pole and forcing it back into position.

Or to check on bent top tubes, while on the centerstand or some sort of jack, loosen the bolts on the triple clamps till the tubes can be rotated by hand. Try rotating each tube all the way around 360 degrees. If the tube binds up and can't be rotated, it may be bend and need straightened or replaced. If both tubes rotate around without bind, you just need to straighten up the bars to the wheel.

To straighten up the bars to wheel, with the triple clamp bolts still loose, stand in front of the bike and clamp your knees on the wheel, then pull the bars until the wheel aligns perpendicular to the bars. Tighten up the triple clamp bolts.

Some advice on those cases. Take them off and wetsand them down with 600 grit, then 1000 or 1500 grit wet/dry sand paper. Then polish them with alloy polish like Simichrome. Or if you like the brushed look, just work them over with a Scotch Brite pad to get the marks aligned as you want. I filed the Yamaha logo off, sanded, and polished them them on my SR500 .

Nice find. That's honnestly the best first bike you could get as a project. Simple because it's only 1 cylinder, 2 valves, 1 carb, one spark... And theses engines are bulletproof. Plus it's got enough power that it'll be a good ride, and once you crave more power, you can keep it as a 70MPG commuter.

Check out this SR500 bratstyle, it's what inspired me to go for Bratstyle as well with my XS650

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySen8Mg5KGY

Cheers,

Guy

KLX 678 thanx a lot for your advice! ill check it out and ill let you know what was the problem!

i also like this brat on the video ;D

Guys i need some help....i found an old tank an it is very good! the probem is that i dont have keys for it!

what cn i do for that? cut the lock off?and then what?

please help me!

its the orginal SR 500 tank

Roiber said:
Guys i need some help....i found an old tank an it is very good! the probem is that i dont have keys for it!

please help me!

Take the tank to a locksmith and they will be able to unlock it for you. Then, you either get them to cut a key, or you can dismantle the lock and change the pins to suit your existing ignition key.

Awww-the one that got away! :'( My first bike would've been a yammy but it was sold out underneath me. Technically have a faster bike now, but I'll have a single one day. Funny as it sounds, you have the opposite problem that everyone else seems to have around here-EVERYONE fixes up yammy SR's and XS's-they're like the Sportsters of the scene. So widdling your bike down to your own personal taste is going to be sort of a challenge because there's a ton of parts/ideas out there. Good score

Roiber said:

please help me!

I have this problem on my CL350. I just stick a tiny screwdriver in it and twist. It pops right open.

--Chris

yesterday i took it out for a ride in Athens... and i noticed that after a while.. when i was in neutral the engine was running faster.. like i was in neutral and accelerating.. and i found out that if i put 1st gear in and let the clutch a little bit, the rpm lows.. and sounds normal again

(i hope you understand what Im talking about people :p sorry for my English)

does anyone knows whats the problem? or what to do?

Right now im cleaning the carb...maybe im gonna adjust the valves also..fix the front fork because its liking..

now about the paint job..you think it can be painted with the engine on? ill take off the tank, seat, front and rear wheel.. fenders handle bars etc.

it can be done with large amountsof tape and masking.

but you should strip it for best results

Roiber said:
Right now im cleaning the carb...maybe im gonna adjust the valves also..fix the front fork because its liking..

now about the paint job..you think it can be painted with the engine on? ill take off the tank, seat, front and rear wheel.. fenders handle bars etc.

You mean painting the frame? I wouldn't bother painting the frame unless you completely take the bike apart - I mean COMPLETELY.

You can spot paint the frame if there are some bits of exposed steel, but I wouldn't try to change frame colors or completely paint it. Same goes for the engine. I wouldn't paint an engine without a) taking it out of the frame and b) taking the engine apart.

Tim said:
You mean painting the frame? I wouldn't bother painting the frame unless you completely take the bike apart - I mean COMPLETELY.

You can spot paint the frame if there are some bits of exposed steel, but I wouldn't try to change frame colors or completely paint it. Same goes for the engine. I wouldn't paint an engine without a) taking it out of the frame and b) taking the engine apart.

Yeah taking the engine out is not a huge deal.. Remove the chain, the carb, a couple of wires, Lift with the knees!!!

hmmmmm ill think of it, cause i want to change the color from navy blue to black..so in that case ill strip it.

the next think im going to do is to take off the side caps from the engine an polish them.

any good advice on polishing?

Back
Top Bottom