PROJECT damn it Battery Carbs finished and calipers bled and repainted

thompsonmx100

Over 1,000 Posts
Well heres My build I'll catch ya'll up what I've got so far. I started with a 85 kawi gpz 750 with broken engine cases.
750-4.jpg

750-3.jpg

750-2.jpg

then I stripped it down removing all unnecessary brackets including the subframe.
IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

Then I started to install a 2005 gsxr 750 rearend and a zx7 frontend
IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

I am using a hnda cb 500t tank and a classic glass seat I like the combo of the two.

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

I have mdae a hugger for the rear out of a 82 gpz rear tail. I drilled holes in my statrer cover soda blasted my brakes and installed a honda cr 250 subframe. and an r6 shock. I'm hoping this will create a light good handling rocker.

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

Ask me questions I know this is a little brief so fire away and I'll do my best to answer any questions comments and tips and advice are always welcome. thanks Travis :-[

Re: kawi gpz 750 cafe build

That is one mutt of a bike. It will be interesting to see how well everything comes together.

im not in love with the tank but ill tell yah what.....you did a great job turning a gpz into a cafe style bike. as far as the tank i think you need something bigger like a cb750f tank or dunstall style tank. the shape of that tank on there just doesnt flow too well just my $.02

It certainly is a mutt got a little bit of everything. I think its coming together nicely. Whether or not it will handle good is another question. the suspension feels balanced when you push down on it as in the front and rear both move together. I think it looks cool as hell. I'm hoping it will look a little more retro than it does right now when I'm done. IE velocity stacks knee pad rubbers. I'd like to have done spoked rims but it just wasn't in the budget.

You don't like the tank? I like ti it stays. I dont think a cb 750 tank is any larger. I don't believe I would want to sit any further back either. The gap between the seat and the tank will be fixed. I would like a Dunstall though just not in the budget. I only have like 1500 in the whole thing right now. I theink the seat and the tank match well the curves and everything

I like the GPZ hugger idea.

I don't understand drilling the starter cover. What's that about?

Yes the hugger is made from an 82 gpz tail section cut it down and fabbed up a mount and bolted it to the swingarm. The starter cover was more or less out of boredom I thought it would bring some visual interest to the starter cover. I didn't want the chrome one that I have so I painted it black but I didn't like it just black so i drilled some holes in it and put some mesh behind it. the same principle as someone drilling out there sprocket cover. Which I will be doing also. I have also drilled the coil brackets out. I will probably drill small holes around the edges of larger washers on the bike. Like I said I want to lighten this thing up as much as possible. I have done the washer thing on several of my dirtbikes kinda trick.

Well I haven't made much progress. I glass bead blasted my cases. That turned into a bigger headache than origanally expected. If I had to do it over again which I do, I still have to do the head and the cylinders i will soda blast them. I have finished the clutch cover, oil pan, and valve cover. The valve cover has had the DOHC smoothed off of it.

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

I used duplicolor heigh heat gloss black

i love it already!

holy hell you move fast...

for the hugger rear fender id go with something that comes back a bit farther.... should look a bit smoother.

Too late I can't add any material to the fender. I don't have another tail section.It has become a little whittled down from what i started with. I think it will accomplish what i need it to do though.

Looking great! The more Kawi muscle the better! Just a few comments...have you worked out the geometry on the rear? It should be pretty easy since it is a monoshock...but to work correctly I think you want a less severe swingarm angle. 12 or 13 degrees is ideal...with rider. Are you going to add more bracing to the subframe? I think the front fender should be shortened in both directions...and I'm not about the black paint on the forks...the bronzey color looked awesome IMHO. Keep up the cool work! ;)

Thanks it is moving along pretty fast. I still have alot to do but I've come a long way in four months.

Hey all, Thanks for the comments. perattzi The fender will be shortened at both ends. It has to be made to fit the tire. As the fender is for a 19 inch tire. I guess the the rearend geometry is already worked out. The swingarm angle is actually less severe than stock. I went with the r6 shock cause it lowered the rearend as the frontend is lowered with forks. The subframe is not gonna get any bracing. All it has to support is my ass and a battery. It is a db subframe if it can handle seat bouncing 80 foot triples it think it can handle me sitting on it. I think once the bike is all put together with the black swingarm, engine, and forks the bike will look good. The forks looked like crap in real life. I tried to remove the anodizing but that didn't work that great. So I painted them. Like I say I think it will work all together.

Kawasaki Cafe Fighter

I just measured the swingarm angle today and found it to be 12 degrees I guess it just looks to be a more severe angle. And if you were talking about the the other leg missing from the subframe that will be welded back on I had to shorten it to make it symetrical.

Re: kawi gpz 750 cafe fighter

hello all. I just wanted to make a quick update. I blasted my upper case tonight I will be cleaning taping and painting tomarrow. I have already done the lower case its curing now. I started to scuff my swingarm for paint what a PITA. I blasted my brake caliper bracket and my chain adjusters. I then polished the chain adjusters they came out pretty good. I didn't sand them or anything just blast and polish. I also mocked up my rearsets this weekend. They felt pretty good. So I'll have to finish them up this week. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post this weekend.

Re: kawi gpz 750 cafe fighter

Well I tried to paint my cases tonight but the weather was messing with my paint so I moved on to mounting the rearsets. I just drilled a hole and welded a nut over it the bottom is not finished yet I will have to make threaded plate to weld onto the frame but heres some pics.
IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

Back
Top Bottom