"Traveler's" 1977 CB550K Cafe build

Traveler

Been Around the Block
Well, I am home from Afghanistan, and decided today would be a good day to start chonicling my cafe project on here.

Here are some pics of it's ride home from the vintage Honda dealer:

002.jpg

006.jpg

I immediately began the process of stripping off all the stuff I didn't want

009.jpg

010.jpg

Good news! No fork tube rust!

Well, that covered the first day of work.

Day two.

Tackled the "Triangle".

007.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

001.jpg

About this time, the weather really turned to crap, so I began the process of restoring/modifying parts indoors. I started with the airbox.

I removed the rear part of the airbox, and then fashioned a plate out an electrical box cover! $1.50 at Ace hardware. After I drilled out the center, I welded in a piece of 1.5 inch tubing (cut from a vent tube for a 283 Chevy v-8....), and then sandblasted the piece, and sprayed it with Duplicolor gloss black engine paint, which has a ceramic additive. Think of it as poor boy's powder coat. On to this, I placed a valve cover breather meant for a Sprint race car.

100_0516.jpg

100_0510.jpg

006-7.jpg

6- 8/32 bolts and hardware later, and the airbox is converted.

008-5.jpg

Air cleaner added. We'll see it if will flow enough air. If not then I'll throw a larger one on.

018-3.jpg

Airbox is done!

~Joe

day three:

Electric "panel".

This is going under the bumstop. I am keeping the factory setup, as I want the "Honda Reliability". :p

I took the factory bracket, and trimmed off one side. I then welded on a washer, so that I could have two wounting points for the panel (you can see my crude outline I will follow with the grinder to make it look decent). The intent is to hang this from the rear frame loop by bolting this to a piece of flat stock bent at 90 degrees. The panel is rusty and I still need to get at it with the die grinder and file, but this gives you an idea.

003-9.jpg

002-8.jpg

The wiring has been clenaed up and in some cases shortened, as to make this a small little compact package. I took the time to also eliminate the blinker stuff...no time for that! Hand signals on the road will suffice here in South Dakota!

Once I have the chance to get it cleaned up, sandblasted and painted, yet again, with some gloss black engine paint, I'll assemble, and furnish pics.

~Joe

Sean at Rock City Cafe is building me my alloy CR750 style tank and alloy seat, with upholstery. I am having him polish both.

I received this pic from Sean the other day. The tank is 50% done.

tankhalfdone.jpg

Not too bad, eh?

~Joe

Went shopping for some stuff the other day:

Mirrors.jpg

Throttlesleeve.jpg

Headlightbrackets.jpg

Grips.jpg

Clubmanbars.jpg

At a later date, I'll have to measure out the cables, to get the right length, and get a license plate/ tailight deal.

Anyway, jsut thought I'd share.

~Joe

I dig the stretched out road racer style. I look forward to it.

What were you doing in A-Stan? Who were you with and where? I know a few guys over there right now and some others doing there work up.

Basement rat said:
I dig the stretched out road racer style. I look forward to it.

What were you doing in A-Stan? Who were you with and where? I know a few guys over there right now and some others doing there work up.

6 months at Bagram Air Base. 455 Air Expeditionary Wing (US Air Force).

Good duty.

Appreciate the kind words.

~Joe

Traveler said:
Rapid City.

Sure would be nice to meet others around here.

~Joe

Ya it would be nice. I thought you were going to say somewhere out west by looking at the background of your pictures... ;D

Okay, I gotta ask, why not just run pods? What is the advantage/disadvantage to this set up? Crafty mod though. you should throw that in the $50 mod thread.

Joe,
Thanks for your service to this country! Verrrrry cool build! You have a 'vintage Honda' dealer? Or was it a dealer where you picked up the 'vintage honda'? Sorry for the dork question...just some cool implications with that. :)

The problem with pods, is that the carbs are not getting a smooth flow of air. That is why there is a flat spot at 3,500 RPM! The Airbox rubbers, are really velocity stacks. The insides of them are not just straight rubber...they are contoured like a velocity stack...and the airbox plenum has the effect of creating torque.

In short...they just plain WORK.

Here is where I got the idea...and quite frankly, my inspiration of how a proper cafe'd 550K should look:

nvr2old.jpg

~Joe

Cool, thanks for the insight there. That makes sense. I forgot this was a four. I imagine that pods work way better on a twin. makes sense that the inside carbs in particular would have disrupted airflow at spots.

I've got a 350F that I may try that on in the spring.

You should def post that mod in the mod thread!!

HEY GUYS,

I HAVE A CB500, AND THINK THAT THIS WOULD WORK ALOT BETTER THAN PODS MY SELF. LET ME KNOW HOW THIS WORKS.
THE THEORY MAKES SENSE AND SHOULD WORK BETTER.
I WANT TO TRY THIS ON MINE.
LET ME KNOW,
THANKS.
LATER.

Back
Top Bottom