CB750 "k"afe build

JS550

Been Around the Block
Alright, Im gonna finnally do a build thread. My bikes an ongoing, evolving thing, I started a year ago in november. I picked it up for $60, the guy wanted it out of his yard and thought the motor might be locked up. Turned out, it wasnt! Runs like a champ! I've thrown a few $$ at it and its looking pretty good. I plan on having the header powder coated in black and doing something different with the gauges, and I have a really nice, little wider rear aluminum wheel and bigger tire that will be on it in spring.
Nov. 08, first bath in who knows how long, fresh off the trailer.
Damn I shoulda kept that sweet ass seat!

F tank, actually bought it for another project. But it I liked it on this bike.

Tried out a Carpy tail, then a CR. Had the CR on it for awhile. The decided to make my own. I plan on making another this winter. I like the smaller look. I read a post on here and a guy was talking about the lines (another build, not mine) from the tank into the tail should follow each other. I took a look at mine and decided the CR tail looked too much higher then my tank, so, off with it. Plus making your own sh!* always feels good. Also, by this time I had swapped out the 2into4 for a RC 4into1, lucky find, great deal, & I had chrome GL gauges on there to.

Attachments

• 750x4.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 711
  • 750rr.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 334
Cleaned up the engine, polished the cases to a nice satin. The last one is a good pic with my bros 550 bobber in the back. (Land of the Apehangers!)

Started mocking up my own tail/seat. Happy with the look, just need to refine it a bit. Also I had stripped the tank & added the badges by this point. Love the old BMW bikes, kinda reminds me of that look.

Attachments

• 100_8164.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 616
Swapped on a GL1000 front end, what a difference. Used a Hyabusa 5/8 Nissin master cylinder and drilled my rotors. New tappered neck bearings, lines and pads. Cycle X gators, need to trim them down a bit & cheapy head light brackets.

Attachments

• Photo0045_EDIT.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 604
I've been playing with the idea,( thanks to all the smaller cc cafes with one gauge on this site!) of running just a tach. I really dont like the Cb or GL gauges the way they sit, and the speedo cable just clutters the front end. Im thinking about getting one of the smaller, aftermarket tachs. I had knocked off the passenger footrest brackets (at some point?) & smoothed out the welds. I left the bottom bar on the exhaust side to use as a hanger still. I have some lowering blocks on the was, the new shocks (black caps) are about an inch or so longer then stock. Still a work in progress though! Thinking about a repaint also...silver, red? I'll post more as I go. Thanks for looking.

Heres a few more recent. I swapped on the old shocks but have since went back to the progressives.

I was reading over this thread thinking "Why hasn't anybody chimed in and given some props?". Then I looked at the dates, damn you must work fast! Kidding man - cool scoot.

Big R said:
I was reading over this thread thinking "Why hasn't anybody chimed in and given some props?". Then I looked at the dates, damn you must work fast! Kidding man - cool scoot.
My wife says I "work fast" to! ;D

Nice project. Thanks for posting all those pictures. Did the GL front end match up with your head tube and bearings?

Yep, its a simple swap. The GL fronts off of the 75 to 77, mines off a 77, are the same stem and bearings as the early to mid 70s cb750. If you get a 78 or 79 GL front then one of the bearings is different, but it will still work. You just use a different bearing set. It changes the rake/trail a little, but you can cheat or slide your fork tubes up a little to compensate, I have mine about a half inch or so up. And if you run bars insted of clip ons it puts them a little more up and back, which worked great with my clubmans.

Finally some good weather here in MI! Ive done a few things ove rthe last couple of weeks or so. Put on the lowering blocks, switched back to the new shocks. They are a little longer so the blocks put them just right for my taste. Switched out my gauges, diggin the smaller ones. Built a new back wheel and now that its mounted, REALLY need to do the front! Wrapped the head pipes. I used what I had left & kinda went for something a little different. Staggered the wraps, long on the inside pipes, shorter on the outsides.

Attachments

• Photo0313.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 280
A few more pix. As much as I like the tank, Im thinking repaint. Got a few ideas. Kinda bored with the grey and it was never my intention to keep it that way.

Attachments

• Photo0325.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 290
Nice work dude! I'm taking notes on that GL front end swap... Something to look into for sure. Love the bike. What colors are you thinking of going to?

Deviant1 said:
Nice work dude! I'm taking notes on that GL front end swap... Something to look into for sure. Love the bike. What colors are you thinking of going to?
The GL front end is a great swap for the 750. Easy & straight forward. As for colors I dont know? I really like old Vincents & Tritons, but the black and the silver have been done soooooo much. I was thinking of maybe a satin color. I've been toying with a schem I saw on an old saltflats car also. The old Edlebrock coupe, white with red scallops & black accents. But I know Im tired of the grey.

Back
Top Bottom