1968 CB350....broken wrist is all better. project- ride this weekend.

HPrice

Just found this site. I'm not in the scene really at all so it was cool to find other people doing the same kind of stuff to their little bikes.

I got the bike in a trade for my bay window VW bus. It was a super ratty, crappy running cafe bike. Clubman bars, uncomfortable seat, tiny batteries....You know the deal. Bike ran when I got it then quit on me and sat all summer as I tooled around town on my '76 CB750 for the remainder of the season.

In December I started building:
-Air horns
-Handlebars
-Shifter
-Jig for the rear swing arm
-Rewiring everything

The tank was already painted when I got the bike.

PLEASE EXCUSE THE MESS! Since these photos were taken the rear end has been finished so I was able to roll the bike out and put away all the tools and sweep up. Its tough to get motivated to pick up everything when its 2 degrees in the garage.

mail

mail

mail

mail

Just ordered some Firestones.

Almost done- need to finish the clutch cable, rear brake like that I made from an old British unit, make the spring perch for the bobber saddle.
Paint and Powder will come next fall. I just want to ride of the summer to see if it feels worth it.

MORE PHOTOS COMING SOON!

Hal

Re: 1968 CB350....Too Long...that's what she said.

pics dont work xP

copy the link that ends with .jpg (or gif or whatever the img type is) then hit the button to the right of the youtube button to created {img} tags (but in brackets). they should work then.

dang. I will give it another try when I get home. May just be because I'm on the office computer.

Still trying to figure out how to post pics. lets see if this works.

Here ya go:
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=3177.0

Re: 1968 CB350....too long. Can't figure out how to post pics.

I really hope this finally works.

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

Re: 1968 CB350....Think the pics finally worked!.....

Dude, I think a raccon crawled in your handlebar!

Kidding man. Did you make the v stacks yourself? And I don't know where you are from, but might wanna check the legality of those bars. Some/most places don't want them above your shoulders

Fuck the man... Those bars are sweet as all hell!

Hey, a Type 1 motor. I think you might have an early high rev cam.

First off.
F the man.

Yes i made the stacks. I made a second set that were copper and a little smaller. Just didn't look right. Besides, everything else on the bike is stainless steel anyway.

The bars & shifter i made during lunch break a couple days in a row.

Don't know too much about the early twins so you'll all be hearing from me as i try to get it running correctly.
IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

took these earlier. Not sure if im going to make a new exhaust or if im just going to make the pipes i have a little longer. Working on making the clutch cable right now.

Hal

Also starting to build my fuel lines.

Making a -05 tephlon hose that we normally sell with a double stainless braid. I stipped a bronze conveluted oil hose and Im wrapping the stainless in a bronze braid (didnt intend to but i think the burst on the hose will be around 4000psi!). Have the hose done, designing the hose end for the carb side. should be pretty neat. I'll keep you guys posted on the fittings. So far haven't seen anything like it but then again i havent really been looking either.

This is the sample hose.
IMG_0897.jpg

DrJ said:
Hey, a Type 1 motor. I think you might have an early high rev cam.

That was in 70' and 71' I think? but not positive...

wow man,
what a stretch on that thing. looks killer, but how safe would it be??? are you stiffening up with heavier gauged steel????
love the bars, and the look of the bike.
are you installing some springs under the seat???
is the shifter sloppy?? i try'ed it on my 200 bobber and found it slopping all over.. are you installing a spring or some thing??
any way, looks god so far.
later.

supercafe said:
wow man,
what a stretch on that thing. looks killer, but how safe would it be??? are you stiffening up with heavier gauged steel????
love the bars, and the look of the bike.
are you installing some springs under the seat???
is the shifter sloppy?? i try'ed it on my 200 bobber and found it slopping all over.. are you installing a spring or some thing??
any way, looks god so far.
later.
Keep in mind some of the gaps will fill up a bit with the new tires i have on the way. They are a lot taller. Until then it looks WAY too long/low.

I just rolled it out for a couple photos. The new swing arm is not done. There are two more crossbars and gussets going in it. All the steel used is .120 wall. I sure didn't shave any weight but she sure is strong!

In one of the photos you can kinda see a spring plate under the seat. I need to make the bottom bracket for the springs. The seat springs are going to reside between between the frame instead of resting on top of it.

As for the shifter- It does have springs but I just slipped it on for the pic. If it is too sloppy I will just build it off of the original pivot and build linkage. Keep the mount strong and the throw shorter.

cool,

i like the build,
can't wait to see it done.
just was checking on how it was going to work.
any way, looks great.
later.

Hey, crashing Hal's thread...

He popped over and we mounted up his new rear tire today.

Hey, Hal, throw me a look...

1266101261.jpg

F'n pretty boy.

Okay, so here's the new installed hotness:

1266101330.jpg

Old and new together:

1266101291.jpg

Worth it.

-T

Re: 1968 CB350....What do you think about this rat-ball tank?.....

So I don't know what to do about the gas tank. The bike is a total rat. I liked the orange tank when the bike was a cafe but something just doesn't seem right. I have a few rat tank from random bikes. What do you guys think about this one? I also have a peanut tank on the way from a buddy.

This one needed a little stretch before it slipped into position.
IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

Better? Keed in mind the guages will be gone soon...

Re: 1968 CB350....What do you think of the rat tank?.....

I dig it. lay some flat clear on it so you dont get rust all over yourself and roll!

i like that tank on it, nice shape.

I agree on the tank, I got all rusted up just for this bike. Looks Good!!

Back
Top Bottom