WeberKid's Build. CB450 project.

WeberKid

Coast to Coast
And so it begins.
cimg0302.jpg

...just an engine so far. but those who know me know of my affinity and supreme dedication to polished aluminum so "just an engine" really is an understatement. You may also notice my lack of carbs. I have something special planned for that idea. stay tuned.

40DCOE would serve a hotted up 450 really well. Do you have the manifold or are you fabricating?
I'd love one for my 600T (really silly overbored 450/500t)....
Can't wait to see what you have planned!

Swagger said:
40DCOE would serve a hotted up 450 really well. Do you have the manifold or are you fabricating?
I'd love one for my 600T (really silly overbored 450/500t)....
Can't wait to see what you have planned!

ugh. you people are unbelievable! a 40dcoe is exactly my plan - its like you're in my head! making my own manifold - sort of. I'm planning to modify one. There will definitely be time spent at the machine shop and with the welder. More details and piktars in time.

WeberKid said:
its like you're in my head!

Actually, we are in your head!! :D :D

Don't worry. It's nearly painless! ;D ;D

Nice project BTW!! Start with the basics!! ;) I'm guessing you'll have lots of fun with this, and that's what it's all about! 8)

make sure you check your clearances before you make downdraught manifolds. ;)

Rocan said:

DCOE is a side draft
IDA/IDF are downcraft (lots of VW use)

I'd love to get my hands on a good 40dcoe for one of my bikes......

Rocan said:

I already planned for this. will most likely require some frame modification, but I had planned on a few alterations anyway and have access to free powdercoating so I'm not too worried. legitimate concern though. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm hoping the manifold will clear the tube between the stock carbs, but if not I'm not afraid to cut it right above the motor mount and weld a U tube in its place so the manifold/carb can sit inside it. Even with a side draft this setup will take up a lot of space. not too concerned.

This should be cool, and pretty different! Although you could not be Weberkid without a big honkin inappropriate carb set up right! Cant wait to see it come together. Any pics of the bike its going in?

Swagger said:
DCOE is a side draft
IDA/IDF are downcraft (lots of VW use)

I'd love to get my hands on a good 40dcoe for one of my bikes......

The VW scene is very much into weber carbs. I grew up on them - entirely the reason why I'm taking such effort with my bike. the IDA and IDF are choice for the air-cooled scene (I've had a 68 bus and a 77 bug), but the DCOE is actually popular with a niche group in the water-cooled scene (I've had a 91 jetta, 95 gti, 84 GLi, 05 golf). I was working on a DCOE setup for my 95, but decided to go with a short runner intake manifold with internal velocity stacks for ease of tuning and daily driving. Anyhoo, here's a mint set of DCOEs on an ABA plant (pierce manifold I believe?) w/ euro g40 valve cover, detailed to the moon:

1-h2otopdawg_119.jpg

forcefanajd said:
there will not be enough room for the carb. youre definately gonna have to get creative.

I was actually voted "most creative" in my high school year book. I'll scan the picture when I get back from the city. I figure if i'm going to take the bother of building a bike from the ground up, I might as well do it exactly as I want it - even if that means putting around on a stock cb350 till I have everything figured out. then replacing the cb350 mill with an over-the-top wild 450 (with overbore)

BradD said:
This should be cool, and pretty different! Although you could not be Weberkid without a big honkin inappropriate carb set up right! Cant wait to see it come together. Any pics of the bike its going in?

My thought exactly. I hope nobody looses patience with this project, I haven't set any deadlines for myself. I want everything to be good enough - if not perfect - and I am very nitpicky. No bike yet. I just picked up the engine this morning so I can have something to polish while I scheme and collect parts. Expect more progress when I'm employed again. Till then, things will be a little slow. Should have the manifold and most of the engine polished by mid march. No you've done it! a deadline. great.

here's a video to enjoy while you guy's wait. the picture I posted was an 8v, this is a 16v with DCOEs. sounds amazing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTaNqDgdGDU

damn thats a sick motor!

get some pics up of your bike! enough with these v dubs! ;) ;)

Rocan said:
damn thats a sick motor!

get some pics up of your bike! enough with these v dubs! ;) ;)

WeberKid said:
My thought exactly. I hope nobody looses patience with this project, I haven't set any deadlines for myself. I want everything to be good enough - if not perfect - and I am very nitpicky. No bike yet. I just picked up the engine this morning so I can have something to polish while I scheme and collect parts. Expect more progress when I'm employed again. Till then, things will be a little slow. Should have the manifold and most of the engine polished by mid march. No you've done it! a deadline. great.

ohh yeahhhh ;)

get the bike... you can find them all over the place if you look daily. dont be afraid to drive/ give up on an offer... i logged over 800 miles in my search for the right one.

your close.....and I have an open bike trailer. Hit me up and we can take a ride to pick one up as soon as you find it!

BradD said:
your close.....and I have an open bike trailer. Hit me up and we can take a ride to pick one up as soon as you find it!

haha, the issue isn't how I'm getting it - its the money right now. Thanks a ton for the offer though. Just a matter of time!

If you're building from the ground up, ditch the OEM frame. It's decent but a bit flexy for really bashing a canyon. If you do ANYTHING to that central upright your frame will go from flexible to wet noodle. A Seeley Mk.IV style frame with the engine slung under it would be seriously hot!

Swagger said:
If you're building from the ground up, ditch the OEM frame. It's decent but a bit flexy for really bashing a canyon. If you do ANYTHING to that central upright your frame will go from flexible to wet noodle. A Seeley Mk.IV style frame with the engine slung under it would be seriously hot!

This is very much a concern as the central upright is my main concern with my silly carb idea. I must confess I know nothing of "Seeley" frames, but would be very curious to look in to it if someone wants to point me in the right direction.

I'd also like to know more about this model of Honda as it doesn't have the central uprights either - rather two outriggers outside the carbs - and if a CB450 would fit in there? I dont even know what kind of bike this is. (I'm new)

honda59.jpg

Back
Top Bottom