Picked up a '75 CL360 the other day...

Gyi2os

Been Around the Block
Bought this '75 CL360 from a guy that was going to use it for it's intended purpose, riding dirt trails out at his cabin. He bought the bike a month ago, then him and his wife decided to sell their cabin so i bought it for $525 delivered to my garage. He lived about 40 miles south of me, and we're in Minnesota, a bit to cold to drive it home, even if it did run right.

List of things wrong on delivery (i was aware of 'em all):
-Only ran on Right cyl.
-Ran really rich on Right cyl.
-Bushings on handlebars are shot
-Brakes need adjustment
-Rear susp. is starting to rust.
-Tach doesn't work
-Don't know if Speedo/odo work
-Doesn't always 'know' when it's ON/Need to chase down electrical gremlin.
-Fires right up on 1 cyl when it's aware it's ON w/Elec+Kick start
-Won't rev very high/bogs down at what sounds like 4-5k RPM
-Rear rim is starting to rust
-Side stand spring is a joke, hardly keeps stand up.

Good things:
-13k miles (if accurate)
-Front end of bike is clean, chrome in very good shape
-CL Pipes!
-Tank guts are clean, very light rust just starting
-Seat is in good shape
-Tires are 3 weeks old (dirt/dual sport tires)
-I got another bike.
-About 80% of the frame still has nice paint, rest is starting to get a bit rusty

So first night in the garage, and mind you, it's like 5* above at the time, I set the ign. timing/points and the Left Cyl. fires right up! I had it chugging along at a nice, albiet richer than Bill Gates, idle. Still didn't want to rev over ~5k RPM. Stoked with my success and warm with brandy i called it a night. Had a busy week at work and finally got back around to it last night...

Do any of you guys know of an easy way to get these damn carbs out!? I got a little carried away last night trying to give them room, but i just can't seem to wiggle them free and i'm trying hard not to gouge out the rubbers or scratch up the frame. My shop manual says i just go down and out then disconnect the cables, but i seem to get jammed up. I removed the exhaust, loosened the battery box so i had more room to play, etc... just can't get them. Do i just "try smarter" or is there something i'm missing? First time i've del with a twin that has the carbs on a chunky bracket that don't just slide out once you loosen the clamps.

Oh, and here's some 'before' pics...

75CL360.jpg

442.jpg

440.jpg

Very nice bike to start with, I've got a'68 and a '72 CL350 and have alot to do to them, they sat outside for a while at the POs' house, though I got them real cheap they should be fine runners when I can get to them. I am currently working on another Norton. The "72 will be next for the ol' lady then the '68 for me,cafe'd all the way. What are your plans for this bike?

nice, i also have a 71' cb350 that i probably won't do more than bars/seat on as it's in great shape and i would feel like hell re-painting it and stripping it down. So in comes the CL360, this is going to be my "try shit out" bike, tank outside is blem'd she's pretty dusty, so i'm hoping to go the clip-on/rear-set/Fiberglass seat/repaint it all/new rubber/newgrips/etc bike. Def the "Cafe, my way"

First step, get it running happy enough to take through the snow ;)

I'll have another thread up soon of the CB350 w/pics.

Soooooo i figured out the carb removal, all it took was a couple of testicles... ;) Just had to man up.

So i decided to try the lemon juice and water boil... pretty impressed.

Couldn't feel my toes or hands, was in the garage for 2 hours tonight, using the stove to warm my hands when i could... either way, pretty comparable to the chemical carb dip i used on my CB350, with less pollution, less odor (still boil in a well-ventialted area). And it was tough to get/keep the water hot, my mini propane tank was freezing over so i wasn't getting a good burn on the stove. Only actual had a light boil for probably 5 minutes, the rest of the time it was on the verge of boiling... so i'd imagine, when it's warmer out, that full-on rolling boil for at least 30 minutes will do better.

Here's some photos'...
First look inside:
IMG00234-20100218-1838.jpg

Here's a"slight" problem... :mad:
IMG00235-20100218-1845.jpg

All apart:
IMG00236-20100218-1845.jpg

The boil-o-matic (camp stove plus propane in 10* weather...
IMG00237-20100218-1926.jpg

After about 30 minutes and a lite rub-down:
IMG00239-20100218-2006.jpg

IMG00240-20100218-2006.jpg

IMG00241-20100218-2006.jpg

IMG00242-20100218-2007.jpg

Remnants in the pot...
IMG00243-20100218-2015.jpg

IMG00244-20100218-2015.jpg

Right on man.

After my second 'replacement' set of carbs off CList arrived, nice and clean w/2 intact diaphragms! threw 'em on. threw pipes back on. tossed in the battery, fired right up!!! rev's all the way up, no shutter/shutdown at roughly 5k rpms.

=in other news, on the way out to the garage, slammed my damn finger in the door, popped the nail 1/2 way back on the finger... still intact though, no tear, just blood and swearing...

typing this 1 handed... other hand has a beer, best pain killer ever made. it's 5:00 somewhere right ;)

still running nice on right side, pipe only gets sorta warm on left, brain to clouded with finger pain to sit and diagnose.

also, muffler on L pipe is super loose, lots of blow out and such, easy to slide out, want to remove R muff too, ditching the muff's for now, maybe do copper baffle mod later, 4" grinder good to pop off the R muffler right?

on the way to hw store for oil, new hoses and prob some whiskey. maybe some pics this afternoon.

Mother F@#$er! I like that there is a significant amount of bourbon missing from the bottle. nicely done!

dont know if it applies here but i have always heard that if you lance the nail with a hot pin or needle before the blood really puts pressure on the nail then you can save it and it also doesnt hurt.
i have been a sissy when it comes to actually heating up a needle and burning a hole in my fingernail when it already hurts.
maybe next time for the both of us. there will surely be a next time :D

Yeah, that's what the parents have told me, shoulda done it yesterday though. cause even after the bourbon (which the wife did help me out with a lil) i could still feel every heartbeat in my finger tip... This morning the pain is way less (in my finger, more in the head ;D ) but i can tell there's still alot of pressure built up... maybe i'll man-up and stick it. If so, i'll take photos.

*edit*
Just read:
"The following section describes two basic ways to painlessly achieve this, one by drilling a hole, and one by burning a hole."

DRILLING!

I did it when I was a 14 or 15. Your fingernails themselves don't have any feeling so it doesn't hurt going through the nail. ANd the relief you feel when you let the pressure out outweighs the pain of pressing on the injury. I still lost my nail though. But it did relieve the pain.

Hope you're all enjoying your Sunday morning, here we go:

First, you need to uh, sterilize the needle... and your nerves.
IMG00274-20100321-1034.jpg

Get that paperclip/needle hot! you DON'T want to have to re-heat and try to hit the same spot, ask me how i know. Don't wuss out, get it nice and cherry red!
IMG00275-20100321-1035.jpg

Aim for the darkest spot, and just go for it.
IMG00279-20100321-1037.jpg

All Cleaned up and ready for bandage.
IMG00280-20100321-1046.jpg

Soak it in Hydro Perox, clean it up and bandage it nice. Warning from the website i looked at prior...

"Whichever method you choose, you don't want to go deeper than about 1/16 in. (2mm) below the nail. (Don't stress about this, just estimate it with your good judgment and get it over with!) After your done, soak in some Hydrogen Peroxide solution, repeat the soaks three times a day. This is to prevent a clot from forming and causing pressure to build up again. You might have to squeeze once or twice again, but usually, the first time does it.

When to seek professional medical attention:

-Signs and symptoms of infection. -You lose any movement or range of motion in the body part as a result of the trauma. -The injury appears to be worse than a simple bloody fingernail. -When in doubt."

http://ezinearticles.com/?Treatment-of-Blood-Under-a-Fingernail&id=1677982

Time to get back out to the Garage.

sweet !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
next time i think i will give it a go also!!
as a reward check out the signature picture on my post.
it is you new moto's little brother.
a 74125s in the same color scheme

nice 125

So i fixed what was causing the left cyl to not fire... plug royally fouled, 0 spark. Tossed in a new one, reset the air sckrews on the carbs. and blamm-o both cyl's doing their thing...

While looking at the right side crankcase skrews and they looked like they've never been touched... 13k on the odo and filter/screen never cleaned. So i drain the oil and it's thin and greenish black... awesome. Pull the screen and it's not so bad... Get to the Centri. filter and holy shit sludge city. spent about an hour cleaned all the parts. here's some before and nearly all done/after.

Also, the crud was tough to get out so for some nooks and crannies, used a small computer repair slotted screw driver covered with shop towel to lightly scratch out the heavy deposits. Was very careful to not press too hard and mar the metal...

possibly 35 years of gunk:
IMG00289-20100321-1300.jpg

took a swipe out:
IMG00290-20100321-1301.jpg

Mostly done:
IMG00291-20100321-1340.jpg

Now i'm just waiting on a new RH case cover gasket, the original one crumbled when i took it off.

So threw the gasket on, oiled 'er up. new fuel lines, pop'd the tank on there, duct taped down the gas flap (stole the thumb clip for my 350, waiting on a replacement) left the seat off and took the thing for spin! bike rode great for it's current state.

but since the bottom exhaust was loose, i wanted to ditch the whole muffler... So here's the results. Still need to clean it up alot, but that's way down the rode. In case you guys are wondering, a 360 with straight pipes... is FRIGGIN' LOUD! but sounds so nice... haha, anyway, will be trying my hand at the copper baffle mod in a few weeks, after i swap the bars, replace clutch cable, replace rubber bar mounts etc.

Also, anyone want to chime in as to what i should look for if the RPM/Speedo don't appear to register correctly/respond right in low RPMs but appear to register better around 6k rpm/ 70mph?

IMG00294-20100323-2037.jpg

Question for you guys...

For the Copper baffle mod and just exhaust in general... how important is it to have each pipe the same length? before i get to fancy on this 2-2 i'd like to know what i should be worrying about.

Also, i have a 2-1 that's sweeeeeeeeeeeeet that i'll fit after i get everything cleaned up... 2-1 into a harley sportster exhaust, PO pulled it off his 360, said it sounds mean... sure looked mean... Mmmmm.... in time.

Gyi2os said:
Question for you guys...

For the Copper baffle mod and just exhaust in general... how important is it to have each pipe the same length? before i get to fancy on this 2-2 i'd like to know what i should be worrying about.

Which pipes are you thinking, the exhaust or the copper baffles? They're both important, but especially the copper baffles. The ends of the exhaust should be past your legs (water, soot, hot gases, etc)

I think your pipes look a little short... That's just me picturing myself sitting on that thing cruisin' and gettin' some hot ass exhaust pressin' on my calf. The copper baffle mod is intended to be put inside the existing pipe. I agree with Big R, make sure those things are long enough then put in the copper baffles.

I'm in the middle of making mine right now actually and what makes sense to me is that they should be the same length. Maybe a little bit different based on how long the individual pipes are, but I'd guess you'd ( and I'd) have to experiment.

Berner

Back
Top Bottom