cb450 tarp monster

garyo

Ok ,kinda wierd name ,but that's what i've been calling this nasty old '74
cb450 rotting away in my back yard.
when I discovered this forum, i got inspired to do somthing with it.

After a couple obsessive months, starting to resemble somthing I wan t to ride.
No before pic's, but it was bone stock,poo brown and rusty. Totall snotter.

Anyhow, any advice would be appreciated.

Gary :)

cb450cafeproject001.jpg

cb450cafeproject008.jpg

cb450cafeproject012.jpg

cb450cafeproject010.jpg

cb450cafeproject015.jpg

I really dig the drilled rear drum and the steering damper, but not so hot on the pipes on it though. also really dig the belt gas tnak hold down. Normally I dont go in for that, kinda on of those very often poorly done sort of things, but the detail in the tank attachment really helps out. the bump stop in the second pic looks good to, very portportional and fits in with the tank. One of the things that always gets me is the way a lot of "custom" car and bike guys add some detail just for looks sake, like a vent or bulge or cutout where one really doesnt add anything visually or functionally. I really like the functional look of the bike so far.

This bike is pure sex! Awesome man, and that exhaust is BADASS!!!!! Ill be watching this for sure!

VonYinzer said:
Awesome man, and that exhaust is BADASS!!!!!

Really? I guess to me the exhaust is a bit on the high/short side, I think it would look just a lot more bad-ass if the pipes dipped a little lower and then up, maybe cueing on the same angle as the engine side cover. im really not much of a high-pipe sorta guy though, so maybe its just me :)

VonYinzer said:
This bike is pure sex! Awesome man, and that exhaust is BADASS!!!!! Ill be watching this for sure!

+1, that is one of the sexiest exhausts I've seen.

I'm also having second thought about the pipes ???
easy enough to build a new set if these dont work.
everything is only 1/2 done.I dont want to finish any one area such as the seat or frame untill i've determined that
it will all work . my foot peg position will be the next task.

The plan is to make it as light aspossible,kick only w/ no starter
the wheels came from my cb750 when i put kawi. mags and forks on it.
I plan on putting my 750 forks on this bike, because I've managed to collect enough pieces to build a double disc front.
The 450 fork doesn't have the mount lugs on the right leg.

Gary
cb450cafeproject016.jpg

cb450cafeproject002.jpg

cb450cafeproject007.jpg

Man, that exhaust is killer! If you do take it another direction, you could probably make some $$ off those pipes

Thanks

the pipes are 1 1/2 '' prebent pieces $20.00
traded some junk to a collector for the set of unused cheap emgo mufflers. All tig welded.
they still need a bit of smoothing out, because I want to get them chromed.
the velocity stacks are the tops off 2 stainless camp mugs from zellars. $4.00 each
I built these foot controls for another bike, but never used them.I think they might work with
welded on rearset mounts in the style that the factory cr750's had

Gary
rearsets001.jpg

rearsets002.jpg

rearsets003.jpg

I seriously dig those rearsets, very similar to what I have in mind if I decide to do a set of my own- love the fabricated steel structural look!

nothing wrong with the construction of those pipes, very good workmanship, just not my own taste :)

Very cool bike. I like the exhaust I like the mod to keep them tight to the bike. I also dig the v stacks for cheap. The rearsets also look the part. Keep it up.

beautiful bike... what fuel filters are those?

love those pipes! bike is very well done... bravo.

Awesome looking build! I like what you've done to brace the frame...looks super trick! Cant wait to see how it turns out!

This bike looks amazing! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pipes, please don't change them. The seal looks great, but I think the closed cell foam is selling yourself short. All of the classy touches and attention to detail scream to have a nicely upholstered leather cover to finish things off...

Man, great lookin bike!

The only suggestions I have is to get a little longer shocks for the rear to give it a sportier stance, and flip the headlight ears to drop the headlight.

Carry on! Great work!

If you sell those pipes, I wanna know. I'll buy a 450 somewhere just to see em get used! This build looks quite promising, and I am stoked to see how it goes.

agreed on potentially flipping the headlight ears - cleaner lines (and maybe less wind resistance?)

Wow , thanks for all the great feedback.

The headlight has to move down and back cuz it just looks wierd where it is in the pics. and it also fouls the clutch cable routing.
The fuel filters I picked up at a swapmeet a couple years ago, along with the fuel taps. dont know the brand, but i've seen the same ones at the local napa. I cut and welded shut that silly crossover tube. wanted to be able to take the tank off without spilling gas everywhere. welded in 2 pipe thread bungs, and moved them away from the carbs. the plan is to run a set of keihin smoothbores with k&n filters like I've got on my 750. The cr's are a lot bigger than the stockers. I was afraid that the original petcock would be too close to the carbs, and I didn't like how short the fuel hose was. hardly any room for filters unless you used one of the small 90 deg. filters.just have 2 taps to forget now, 1 on each side.

Totaly agree on the longer shock idea. the hagon shocks on my 750 are for a later dohc 750-900, and these will probably
go on here , which gives me an excuse to buy a set of cool piggyback resevoir shocks for it.

The seat foam is only temporary. just stuck on with tape to help me figure out the layout of the seat-tank-rearset-bar location.
The front part of the seat still needs a piece welded in to cover the bolts that hold the tank on.when all the welding is one, gonna polish it up and have a proper leather pad made.

I spent the last couple nights working on the footpeg mounts. when all the welding is sort of done, to, as much as is possible with the bike together ,it gets stripped to the bare frame to finish welding. cant get the tig torch into a lot of places with everything in the way

Gary

Back
Top Bottom