1979 CB750k "bones"

gizmoe639

So i havent done much yet but I have big plans ;D
heres what i started with...

1ca38cec.jpg

pulled the bags crash bar sissy bar etc. started cleaning carbs and getting her to run properly. jets were in the wrong places and all kindsa fun. Also gotta love the 4into2s with no baffles.

f438e8ac.jpg

As it sits now. Picked up clubman bars rerouted some cables and wires. Got a kerker 4into1 with the baffle. Most of my parts are coming from Bobs. Its a phoenix area cycle bone yard. (hence the name Bones)

3964a9bb.jpg

soon to come:
New seat made from same style tank.(ASAP!!!)
Instal the new tires that are sitting in the shop.
speedcell battery to the tail secton
Tuck wiring under seat.
Paint and wrap the exhuast.
clip ons.
Pods, if i can manage to get the jetting proper(ive herd its quite a task with the stock dohc carbs)
Paint tank and tail, or pollish not sure yet ( bye bye poo brown)

Daydreams:
Modern front end!!!

Theres a million other little things i want/plan to do but you can get the baisic idear...

so i sold my dirtbike to help further my cafe bike. Sacrafices must be made... Any how got fresh tires mounted and balanced. they look a bit nicer then the dry old white letters... I also picked up 3 cheap old tanks and some tubeing to start cutting on for my tail. Im pretty excited to try this out. Im sure my first attempt wont be pretty but thats why i got three tanks. Ill post pics once i have some real progress.

Right on man, nice bike. I'm rolling on the same one too except for mine's the black tank/red pinstripe combo. Good luck with those carbs. I for one will be keeping the stock airbox, but pods can be done, I've seen it!! That seat is wild, looking forward to seeing the new version.

yeah pods probably wont come untill i get laid off again next fall and have an infinite amout of time to tweak my carbs...
Started cutting on one of my old tanks today. Plannin on workin on it for a lot longer but im waiting to take my roommate to get his gold wing and i figguredid pop on here for a min. Heres what ive done so far.

86f961c8.jpg

stipped the seat rear fender etc...

c76b46b1.jpg

thats with the cut tank on there... It still needs a ton of trimming, needs to be narrowed, cleaned up, etc etc etc but its somethin hahaha. Should have more pics up tonight or tomrrow. I was thinkin bout following the angled frame line up the tail section, but i think it may be to low. Input???

heres a trimmed up version gettin closer to somethin. trimmed the bottom edge some and also took an inch and a half out of the center of it to narrow it but keep the lines. I still have to decide which tank im gonna rock on this thing before i can start on the seat frame. these pics are with the super sport tank im considering.

29fc5690.jpg

c0de64cd.jpg

looking good!

what year blazer is that? my dad had a 92 when i was younger. that thing ran so well it was shocking. lived a good life up until we gave it to my dads cousin. then he drove the heck out of it, and he ended up selling it for some cash. good solid trucks. really miss it too. i learned to drive in one of those... at the wee age of 7.

thanks guys! Gonna work on it some more today and hopefully start on a frame/pan.
The blazer is my roommates. It just so happens to be a 92. Its an ex beauro of land reclamation vehicle. Some guy bought it at an auction for his wife but she refused to try driving stick. Guy couldnt get it sold so my friend got it for 900 bucks. The interior is ruff but man that thing rocks off road. All stock it does things that have me puckered.... I have a 2wd 93 s10 i got for 600 from an old man who could no longer drive, 23k miles on it... 600 bucks. theyre both 4.3 5spd. its become one of my fav. drive trains... I suppose i was driving an old ford f100 around a field at about 7 if that counts...

As for work i do not do anything quite as cool as fire... I install athletic running tracks at schools, and colleges. we travel mostlly noth east, but the material reacts adversly with water, and requires teps above roughly 50 to set up properly. So late spring through early fall we go 12-14hrs a day 7 days a week. then i get my winters off... Thats why i came to az. I love ohio summers but im never there for them, and i get some serious winter blues. not sure where ill end up next winter, some where warm no doubt.

Couple new pics of the tale section. As i am pretty unexpirenced in metal working like this, im going quite slow so as not to trash this thing. I like the way its coming together though.

f6556f96.jpg

my card board template.

a299ae3f.jpg

traced...

3ebf104f.jpg

cut out...

a8b184ff.jpg

added to the tail.

Looking good. I love it when someone fights to make a 750 a clean cafe. I can tell this is gonna be a great ride when your done.

Well i finally made some more proogress... Were moving in about a weak so i had to help my roomies etc. Im starting to get the feeling i will be loading the last of my shop stuff up the night before i leave... :D anywho, heres some fresh pics.

61c54934.jpg

some frame work inside the tail, also makes the tail and seat frame 1 piece.

2d8a3f20.jpg

future home of as much wiring as poss.

9ed6fd61.jpg

ruff template made from heavy paper

1afaa365.jpg

transferd on to 16 guage steel, thicker then i wanted but it was available now. used a torch for the gradual bend then hand pounded the rest.

e9a5ac0b.jpg

not too bad for my first time working steel liek that... :-\

bbb5865b.jpg

On the bike with the tank. Still in need of some gtinding, bondo, paint etc etc.

ebf7ded7.jpg

hooked up the led tail light for shits n giggles. still need a resistor but i think it looks pretty good placement wise.

c6977c0a.jpg

i know its crooked, its only in there with temp brackets (read zip tyes)

Funny Ive been cuttin torchin welding bendin beatin and any number of things for around a week straight to build the tail section, and havent had any problems that a little gringing couldnt fix. I played with my tail light for less then 15 mins and blew a glass fuse, the main power fuse, and drained the battery. Thats funny.
Thanks for the comments, Im fightin hard and tryin to get as much done before i run out of time as possible. I took the bike to B and R motorcycle shop earlier today to have Roy set the valves and sync the carbs. I dont have a merc guage for the carbs and it would have cost me more to buy the shims then what he quoted me. Plus he is going to call me when he starts on it so i can come in and learn the process some. after i dropped her off i headed to the bone yard again. I got some slightly shorter eye to clevis shocks to lower the rear a touch and picked up a set of used clipons. Not only will they look cleaner, i can slide the forks up some to match the lowering in the rear. I cant wait to get her tuned in and brought home so i can install this stuff... pics will follow tomorrow eve.

I like where you're going with that tail dude. It'll look killer when it's all done. I like to see someone do a good dohc750 build as there just aren't enough around. It's a fine bike for a cafe racer conversion, I think some people get scared off by the lack of readily available parts and the lack of cool dohc 750's that are out there. I'll be watching this one closely!

Interesting build. I like your take on using the back half of a tank for the seat cowl. I did the same but a little bit different design... always good to see different approaches to the same thing. I'll be following your build.

So Im pretty dumb and miss measured my forks ??? my clipons where 37mm n my forks 35... Got the nex shocks mounted up though. just enough drop...
52be8cda.jpg

another angle...
3474d834.jpg

I need clipons asap so i can lower the front just a wee bit. It kinda sits like a chopper now :-\ No offense to chopper builds, they are sweet in their own right, just totally not what im aiming for... Anywho If anyone has a set of 35mm clipons theyre dieing to get rid of let me know hahaha. will be cruising ebay tonight. any suggestions? I really like the woodcraft 2 piece design but im not exactly thrilled about dropin 150 on them.

did some grinding on my tail section, some of the welds need a little touching up, had some pockets and blow through. going to finish it now.
dc3f2477.jpg

also decided the center stand is going aswell. kinda waiting till i install my clipons just becuase the center stand made it sooo easy to drop the forks.

Just a suggestion here... The back end has a great stance now, but the front looks a little high. Have you thought about pushing the tubes through the triple clamps about an inch or so?

check out roccitycafe.com for clip ons. the quality on those pieces is AMAZING and well worth the money. plus youll be supporting a fellow forum member :D

i like the tail... but welded to the frame might make fixing shit a pain... how are you going to get under the tail to change batteries, fix wires, etc?

I couldnt slide the forks up at first becuase the tops of the tubes hit the bars. But luckly the guy i bought it from was tryin to make it a choper and had some up and back bar risers. I poped them on and adjusted the bars last night. It gave me the room i needed to drop the front end to match.
The tail isnt welded to the frame, its one piece with a tube seat pan i fabed up. I welded in a piece of flat stock for the supersport tank to bolt up to and made a tab so the seat bolts on in the front.
So i stripped all my paint to start on my body work and realized Im leavein tomorrow for ohio, so most of my fab work is done for about 6 months. Heres some pics of how she looks currently. Im prob. gonna just clear coat her for the summer, untill i have some time to do the body work properly. It looks good though. Im proud enough of my first fab/build project to show off some sketchy welding and such. heres some fresh pics.

e3060f7a.jpg

a12781c9.jpg

35478275.jpg

ed602b43.jpg

this is where the seat pan is notched out and bolted down. The bolt runs through a tab on the seat, then the tank mount, then the flat stock that was added to the frame.
2f693e78.jpg

this better shows the tubing of the seat fame on top of the actual bike frame.
33a9474b.jpg

tail removed
ebae8905.jpg

seat pan and tail section frame work from underneath
e737159a.jpg

another angle of the tailsection while removed.
d0ba06a9.jpg

Very nice bike. It gives me a little more inspiration to get on the way with mine! Nice job
What rear tire size is that your running?

thanks spalding. I believe my tire is like 130/90-18 or 130/80-18 one of the two for sure. I kind of wish i would have gone with a slightly wider tire. I dont think much if any fab would need to be done, and it would ride and look even sweeter ;D

Back
Top Bottom