'74 cb350f chop FOR SALE pg.12

davis

hey guys I dont post too much, but I figured I'd show you guys my $500 craigslist bike and see what you thought.
I am a 22 year old college student (ROLL TIDE!), and the bike was built on a college student's extreme budget. Almost nothing on the bike is polished or re-finished, partly because of laziness/lack of funds and partly because I kind of dig the patina of the original parts, lets you know its 'vintage' .

Keep in mind I bought the bike in late December and it was where i wanted it to be cosmetically (bars, custom seat, wrapped exhaust, lowered headlight and guages, etc etc) in about 3 weeks. Of course at that point it started to run poorly so i had to clean the carbs and a bunch of other stuff to get it to run right.

I'm just going to upload all the pics at once including some of when i was working on the carbs and what not, some of the first incarnation of the bike, followed by some of the bike as it sits now.

DSC00989.jpg

here's the carbs when I pulled them, the bike actually ran ok when i got it, but the carbs def needed a cleaning

DSC00987.jpg

heres the worst bowl, definately not as bad as some i have seen

DSC01023.jpg

my solution for a couple of fucked up float pivot pins... made out of these
DSC01020.jpg

DSC01032.jpg

I wonder why the bike was running shitty?

DSC01044.jpg

been working on the bike in my buddies freezing garage

DSC01045.jpg

the pride of my helmet fleet, goldie

DSC01072.jpg

so this is where it was at a few weeks ago, i built that seat from a sheetmetal/rivots pan + foam

DSC01070.jpg

DSC01068.jpg

DSC01065.jpg

Then, during spring break, instead of going to the beach and being rediculous, I trimmed the frame, built a new glass seat finished in truck bedliner, moved electronics to where the tool tray would be, and got me just the cutest little battery which is stashed under the hump, and filled dents/shaved the emblems on the tank and gave it a pre-patina'd paintjob; resulting in this:

DSC01089.jpg

DSC01091.jpg

DSC01090.jpg

Whatcha think?

Re: poor man's 74 cb350f cafe

Looks good man. Nicely done on a small budget in a short time for sure.

VonYinzer said:
Looks good man. Nicely done on a small budget in a short time for sure.

+1... im thinking bob that front fender and spray it black to match =D

DUDE! I didn't know you were a member here, I've posted on you thread over on SOHC4.net
Love you budget build bike! That licence plate battery tray ROCKS!

Love it. Everything about your bike rocks. I'm building on a no/low budget ,too. Your bike really has teh vintage/garage rocker look. Nice work.

Reinhard said:
Love it. Everything about your bike rocks. I'm building on a no/low budget ,too. Your bike really has teh vintage/garage rocker look. Nice work.

Thanks man! I'm glad there are people who appreciate the work I've put into it; when my friends around here see my bike for the first time they are like "so are you going to modify it and stuff?"

and after seeing how nice your rearend cleaned up I may be busting out the sawzall tonight.

davis said:
Thanks man! I'm glad there are people who appreciate the work I've put into it; when my friends around here see my bike for the first time they are like "so are you going to modify it and stuff?"

Thats why were here man... Keep up the great work!

A little update.. I wasnt feeling the bedliner on my fiberglass seat anymore, and am too lazy to finish the bodywork on it for paint. Soooo I took a trip down to the thrift store and bought an old brown leather jacket to mangle. cut 'er up and covered the seat:

The remnants, I'm thinking I'll make a tool bag with some of this leather, bc at the moment I have nowhere to put my tools, and this ole girl LOVES to break down so tools are a must
DSC01093.jpg

Oh by the way all of the work done in this seat recover was done using this super-professional $3 sewing kit I'm fairly sure I bought in a grocery store a few years back. Wouldve probably taken 1/10th of the time had I had a sewing machine
DSC01098.jpg

The result:
DSC01094.jpg

DSC01095.jpg

used this after i finished it to make it darker and shinier and to give it some character:
DSC01097.jpg

Once I got it on the bike, I decided it looks too shiny and nice and didnt quite fit with the general feel I was going for soo here it is after a bit of distressing... the difference doesnt really translate well in pictures but it looks pretty beat up now, which is perrfect ;D
DSC01102.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

Re: poor man's 74 cb350f cafe (update: leather seat cover)

DUDE!
You sewed that.... by HAND?! :eek:
Great job, I wish I could do something that nice with a machine.
Friggin sweet

tell me you are an upholsterer by trade... if not you should be... That seat is SLICK! I LOVE the brown leather... NICE choice. Where did you get the fiberglass seat base? Love the lines!

BCB

:eek: :eek: :eek:
yep, you were meant to be an upholsterer.

BCBarker said:
tell me you are an upholsterer by trade... if not you should be... That seat is SLICK! I LOVE the brown leather... NICE choice. Where did you get the fiberglass seat base? Love the lines!

BCB

Haha nope, I am a student at the moment, and since I've just recently been accepted to law school I find myself steeped in free time spurred on by a lack of motivation for classes.. patience and obsessive compulsive tendencies are a must!

as for the fiberglass seat base, I made it in my garage over spring break

Kiwi Shoe Polish!?! Don't wear white pants when you ride! ;D

That seat's awesome and I love the patina on the bike. Makes me want to lighten up on my build.

jbrtwork said:
Kiwi Shoe Polish!?! Don't wear white pants when you ride! ;D

That seat's awesome and I love the patina on the bike. Makes me want to lighten up on my build.

haha yea im not 100% sure about how the shoe polish will do.. i hope it doesnt rub off on me haha, not to mention sitting in the hot sun hope it doesnt melt on me... the general idea is if i buff it well enough, there will be no transfer

a few pictures:

DSC01103.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

DSC01105.jpg

The tail light is built 100% found objects around the house.. ancient brass desk lamp, the lense is the bottom of a red water bottle, i did the corrosion and patina with salt+vinegar+bleach, same with the rust on the bracket

DSC01106.jpg

DSC01107.jpg

DSC01108.jpg

Very cool bike I like the cheap trick you got going on. The seat is sick I cant believe you sewed that by hand. Looks good I dont think I'd change a thing.

thompsonmx100 said:
Very cool bike I like the cheap trick you got going on. The seat is sick I cant believe you sewed that by hand. Looks good I dont think I'd change a thing.

thanks man I appreciate it.. I always say im not going to change anything else, but as soon as i finish one project for it i'll be damned if im not staring at it figuring my next move.. I reaaallyy want to do something with the tank.. its too plain for me.. like a painted pinup girl or wwII nose art or sweet scallops or something.. who knows, Ive been toying with the idea of leather knee bolsters on the tank

Back
Top Bottom