XS400 Green Bastard - SOLD! er, replaced

Ringo

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
Well, I guess it's time for a build thread. The name comes from Trailer Park Boys. I freakin love that show, and the name just fits.

So, seeing as how I joined just before I finished the project, I figured I'd wait until it was done before posting it. Here you go. It's an xs400 with an xs750 front end, tank, and rear wheel/mc. Fiberglass seat. Bronze swingarm bushings in back. Tapered roller bearings up front. New pistons/rings. Raask rearsets... bunch of other stuff... anyways

How the bike looked when I got it. Rat for sure, but a good start in the right direction.
DSC01786.jpg

Strippin it.
IMG_1356.jpg

Stripped and new shocks fitted. The redwings were temporary as I couldn't find anything else long enough (she needs super long shocks for the short tail), but I'll see how they do. Would like to find a set of Hagons eventually.
IMG_1373.jpg

The previous owner had removed the side covers and all mounts. I wanted to run the battery here, so I had to weld on some new mounts.
IMG_1374.jpg

I can't stand a small tail on a bike with a big tank, so I needed some height. Stripped original seat down to fiberglass where needed and sculpted some foam.
IMG_1382.jpg

New tail glassed and bondo'd.
IMG_1386.jpg

Since I planned to have it painted anyway, I figured I'd save myself some money and strip all I could for the painter. When I stripped the tank, I found it completely covered in bondo, which was ruined by the aircraft paint stripper. I also found a spot where the previous owner had attempted a bar dent, realized it looked like shit, and filled it. nice.
IMG_1390.jpg

The bike came with an ignition switch where the side cover should be, so when I redid the wiring I had to put the switch up front. As the bike has xs750 triple trees there is no mount for an ignition switch like on an xs400. I think the xs750 mount is on the gauge cluster, but I retained the xs400 gauges so... I had to make one. It acts as a washer for the bar mount bolts, and provides a near stock location for the switch.
IMG_1389.jpg

Getting started on engine for cleaning/painting and new pistons/rings.
IMG_1398.jpg

When I bought the bike, it was only firing on the right cylinder. After finding holes in the left pipe from a shotty welding job (fixed) and a tear in the associated carb diaphragm, I figured it was due to a vacuum leak. Boy was I right, and still wrong though- there was a large chunk missing from the carb boot/manifold gasket. Hope it didn't get sucked in! Lesson: wd-40 vacuum check would've found this right away.
IMG_1426.jpg

I wanted a paint job that would last, so I had that step done by someone who knew what they were doing. I took it to my uncle's painter (uncle's a mechanic) and asked for British racing green. He took it one step further and sprayed it with factory Jaguar green. Made my day. :D

And apart from waiting for new carb diaphragms it's done. ...In my hurry to get a couple pics between snow flurries I forgot to put the oil filter/cover on, in case anyone was wondering.
bike2.jpg

bike1.jpg

Re: XS400 The Green Bastard

Awesome man, and hearing you on the oil filter - I forgot to change the one on my GS because I was so stoked about getting my first 'big' bike. New one is here now, plus some nice 100% synthetic 10W-40.

Forgotten filters aside, love the bike! The green really makes it something else. I wasn't sure about the tall tail in the first few pics but seeing the finished thing makes me think again. Good work man.

Cheers - boingk

Thanks guys. Luckily the bike isn't quite ready to fire up yet, so the case is still completely drained. Would hate to coat the white wrap in motor oil!

Very cool. I really like the green color you used. What color is it? Very nice bike the engine turned out great. The whole bike turned out great. Keep it up.

thompsonmx100 said:
Very cool. I really like the green color you used. What color is it? Very nice bike the engine turned out great. The whole bike turned out great. Keep it up.

looks like its very close to the green that came on acura integras. (i forget the name of the color)

thompsonmx100 said:

The painter used factory Jaguar green. Not sure what the 'official' name of the color is.

Dug out the good camera for some better pics...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Like the mud on the tires? ::)

Re: XS400 The Green Bastard - *New Pics*

Now you got me paranoid about having sh!t under my fingernails.

sexxxy. i like it. i never new those rims could look that good!

Next nice day lets make a cafe run to Bozeman! That thing is rad! Nicely done, brother.

I think it would be fun to make a run around ol' Gallatin Co. Send me a PM if you want to go...

Tyler

I'd be way down for that, Tyler! The carbs are out of service until a new diaphragm arrives this Friday. Then I'm busy all weekend. After that, I have 8 days until I leave for CA. So assuming the rebuild went smoothly (hasn't been fired up since the teardown) and I don't have to iron out any bugs, I should be able squeeze a ride in before I leave. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Chris

I'm down for a ride next week, if this poo weather leaves! I can meet you at 4C and we could ride into Bozeman for a cup someplace. Let me know if you get your carbs sorted by then.

Will do, man.

Just threw on the logos I got from gahi. Take that, Norton!

logo.jpg

Re: XS400 The Green Bastard - it's alive! now with vid!

Well, just got the new slides/diaphragms so I put the carbs back together. Do they ever need some tuning! But the real pain in the arse right now is the petcock. Apparently the seals went to hell while it was sitting on the shelf all winter. Hooked everything up, put a little gas in the tank and she fired right up, nevermind the gas dripping from the petcock. Burned off the excess oil from the engine rebuild for a couple minutes and started to cook the header wrap a nice tan color. We're getting there...

Side covers aren't on and the rag is keeping gas off the engine covers. Check out the header wrap smokin like crazy.

Re: XS400 The Green Bastard - it's alive! now with vid

the smoke gives the headers a mythical quality

Back
Top Bottom