RD350 project straight outta Long Beach *fresh parts n pics*

cierrecart

Been Around the Block
Whats up fellas. Thought I'd start a thread for what will probably end up being a larger "project" than I intended it to be. :D Just got done pushing this bad boy home. ;D Yup.....made it all of 1/2 a mile from the sellers house, pulled in for gas, and the bastard wouldn't start. Noticed that the neutral light was getting dimmer and dimmer. Then I remembered reading somewhere that these bikes won't start if the battery is dead. :( Never realized what a pain it would be to push a 300 pound bike a mile. I'm gonna be sore tomorrow. Hooked it up to my charger and it fired right up, so I have it charging.

Anyways, this is my first foray into a bigger bike. First I had a 150cc engine swapped Honda scooter that I actually just sold in order to get the RD:
DSC_0026.jpg

Then, I just finished restoring this old 67 Suzuki Hillbilly. It's a 2t 80cc. I'm selling it though to buy parts for the RD. :D
DSC_0158.jpg

I really wanted something with some power and speed that I could take on longer trips and ride on the freeway. On top of that I wanted some cafe styling. This bike is in really good shape mechanically, but looks wise it needs some help. The frame has rock chips, lower fork tubes need help, wheels need polishing, and the whole thing needs a good cleaning.

Plans:
HVC street fighter seat
DCC black clubmans
DCC black bar end mirrors
DCC traditional black round taillight
paint lower fork legs black
black wrinkle paint on engine covers
satin black engine block
HVC engine cover stainless bolt set
Newtronics electronic ignition
rear brake shoes
uni replacement filter
new black shocks
satin black frame
etc etc

If I can sell that little Suzuki, I can get everything at once, so I'll probably just wait so that I only have to tear everything down once.

This is an awesome forum, and I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions for you guys. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

Re: RD350 project straight outta Long Beach

NICE RD!!! Are you sure you wanna hack into it? looks pretty solid.

yea man sweet looking bike for sure, maybe you could just do the free maintenace on it like polish and buff the paint a little, lube cables change oil, timing, points, check all the wires and bulbs. and just sell this one for a profit on the interweb.
but then again you could prob take a bunch of pics and parts and just part out all the stock stuff to offset your purchases.
either way its gonna be sweet.
fill out your profile so i can tell you how far away any better candidates for hacking are...
oh right.. is that LBC or long beach north carolina? cause that aint to far from me

BCBarker said:
NICE RD!!! Are you sure you wanna hack into it? looks pretty solid.

No plans for hackage. :D I plan on ditching the rear fender and stock (I'm strictly a fair weather rider) :D , and if I decide to run a front ( I have the stocker too) I'll probably get one of the fiberglass jobs.

I wanted the HVC seat cover and foam so I could keep the stock pan too.

rjz5400 said:
yea man sweet looking bike for sure, maybe you could just do the free maintenace on it like polish and buff the paint a little, lube cables change oil, timing, points, check all the wires and bulbs. and just sell this one for a profit on the interweb.
but then again you could prob take a bunch of pics and parts and just part out all the stock stuff to offset your purchases.
either way its gonna be sweet.
fill out your profile so i can tell you how far away any better candidates for hacking are...
oh right.. is that LBC or long beach north carolina? cause that aint to far from me

It actually had all the maintenance done 3 months ago. New tires, headlight, timing etc. Fires up first kick and for that half mile...it ran great. ;)
Yeah....Long beach, CA :D

I'm definitely keeping this one. I'm a stay at home father of three...one of them being a 7 month old, so my riding time is few and far between, so some down time while I tear it down is no biggie. Plus...I really like learning how bikes are put together this way.

Nice one, think I've seen one like that somewhere before...hmmm ;D Have you done any 1st or 2nd gear wheelies yet? Like when your exiting a turn and whack the throttle and WHOA didn't mean to do that! SO fun these RD's are. Looks like a very solid starting base...sell the stock parts you don't want and customize it, doesn't necessarily mean you have to make irreversible changes. I've seen some cool foam and cover cafe seat kits on ebay recently, I think they are from Vietnam or Singapore...you could check those out. But, it's probably better to support companies like HVC, one of the few that cater to 2 stroke owners. Seems like I've had a package in the mail every week ,for the last month from HVC haha! There's always something else you gotta have...none of which is cheap.

Are you using the Yamalube pump or premixing? If you haven't already, check and adjust the minimum stroke of the pump and cable, pull the oil feed hoses at the carbs to check and make sure it's pumping properly. To be safe, I am setting mine to have alittle longer stroke to ensure a little extra oil gets in the mix, better than the alternative. Also, I picked up some clear 3/32 line to replace the old black ones...i wanna see that oil dammit! Just some things to think about. BTW how do you like the DG pipes and what kind of jetting have you got going on? I know that mid year 75, the carbs and airboxes were changed, the mains went from 130 i believe down to 105, and with chambers and free flowing filter, I'm sure up near 200 wouldn't be unrealistic...I just ordered a set of DG chambers off Dennis Kirk, should be here Friday...they look slightly different however? Jesus I'm rambling... keep it up!

Unfortunately I've only owned it for about 5 hours, so I can't answer too many of your questions. :D The guy informed that when he had it tuned up they checked and adjusted the oil pump, but I plan on double checking everything myself and switching to clear hoses!

Oh I didn't really read too closely, I was distracted by the pics haha... I know all too well how heavy a 'light' 300lb bike can be to push home once the battery dies. Stock up on spark plugs too, won't do you much good otherwise. Have a looksy here http://lawrenceotoole.com/r5/2006/12/chris-rd350-progress.htm if you scroll down on the right side, there are links to .pdf of service bulletins, manual, owners manuals, links etc... There's also files of the bulletins to see if you have the mid-year change carbs and air filter.

Definitely don't take the p.o.'s word for anything, double check that pump, it's kinda weird to figure the thing out at first, but once you see how it works, it's easy to adjust. Did he tell you what type of oil he was using? Use the same brand or drain /bleed it and stick with a good one made for injectors...like Motul or something similar. Also, pull the carbs and see what jets are in there. Once you have time ride it around for a bit and do some plug chops, do a wot throttle run in an empty parking lot or somewhere, pull in the clutch and kill the motor, then pull the plugs and see how it's running on the main jet, then do it @ different rpm ranges, to check the slide etc. If it's too lean, you motor isn't going to last long.

Spend some time over @ http://www.usa2strokers.com/forum/default.asp a cantankerous crowd, but they know their shit, and if you are persistent enough, will share the knowledge haha...good luck have fun!

ah ha. i just saw your little bike for sale. cool looking little bike it is. i was also wondering if that guy still had that orange RD. i guess not. im in Costa Mesa and ive been keeping an eye for something good. have fun with your toys

Step 1 complete: waited the hour at the DMV to get things transferred into my name. :D

I've decided to waste no time getting the main thing done that's really bothering me...repainting the frame and engine. They just look like crap and since I'm gonna have no time to ride in the next 2 weeks, I figured I might as well get acquainted with the bike. Fuel is draining right now, pulled the battery, seat and rear fender assembly so far.

One question...the Haynes manual I have shows removing the stator/generator assembly in order to pull the motor. Is that so? I want to leave it as in tact as possible, and I definitely don't want to have to reset the timing.
Any help is appreciated.

Chris

i dont know abut pulling the motor but i do know that you are very lucky only having to wait an hour at the dmv
seriously i have spent more than that on the phone with the main office in Raleigh today.
i am not kidding
hours on hold or in line and months of waiting once they sent me the title to my mercedes and it said 2004 on it. it is a 1983 !!
cursing into the phone, ridiculous "safegaurds" like i cant send a pdf or jpg. i had to go to the office and fax a copy of the old title, that i got mailed to me from them!!!!!!
seriously i sent a request and they asked me if they could have a look at what they sent me?!?!
anyway glad you are not gonna chop it up or anything crazy and it will be well taken care of i am sure.

good luck on the painting and check ya later.

so lucky just wait in line and off you go?!?!?!?!?!?! murterrterrrterrert mutter mutter. DANG
mutterrrrrrrr

I don't see why you'd have to remove the generator to get the motor out. Just makes sure all the wires are unplugged...good rule of thumb is to put some tape on each connection and write a number on them...makes putting it all back together easy. As far being afraid of setting the timing...is it still using points or has an electronic ignition been installed? If you plan on owning this thing for very long you're gonna have to do it. 2 strokes are not very forgiving when it comes to just about anything. Plus who knows what it is set at currently...You can make a simple dial gauge that fits inside the spark plug so you can find TDC, the marks from the factory are just a rough guide for setting timing. A lot of guys set it at 1.8mm btbc instead of the factory 2.0mm btdc, to compensate for modern octanes. I'm fitting an electronic ignition ASAP, set it once and forget it. Most of the complete systems are quite pricey, but there is a guy modifying DYNA ignitions to use on RD, they are on ebay and half the price, but not as comprehensive. I have heard only good things about the product and his support. I would prioritize...check the vitals first...seizures are surely not fun.

Cool bike. These strokers are popping up all over the place on here. Me likey.

rjz5400 said:
i dont know abut pulling the motor but i do know that you are very lucky only having to wait an hour at the dmv
seriously i have spent more than that on the phone with the main office in Raleigh today.
i am not kidding
hours on hold or in line and months of waiting once they sent me the title to my mercedes and it said 2004 on it. it is a 1983 !!
cursing into the phone, ridiculous "safegaurds" like i cant send a pdf or jpg. i had to go to the office and fax a copy of the old title, that i got mailed to me from them!!!!!!
seriously i sent a request and they asked me if they could have a look at what they sent me?!?!
anyway glad you are not gonna chop it up or anything crazy and it will be well taken care of i am sure.

good luck on the painting and check ya later.

so lucky just wait in line and off you go?!?!?!?!?!?! murterrterrrterrert mutter mutter. DANG
mutterrrrrrrr

I actually went a few miles down the road to another DMV because I'd heard they were never as busy as the one by my house that has a line out the door all day long. On top of that, they nearest appointment you can schedule is a month out. I was quite happy with todays experience. :D

I don't see why you'd have to remove the generator to get the motor out. Just makes sure all the wires are unplugged...good rule of thumb is to put some tape on each connection and write a number on them...makes putting it all back together easy. As far being afraid of setting the timing...is it still using points or has an electronic ignition been installed? If you plan on owning this thing for very long you're gonna have to do it. 2 strokes are not very forgiving when it comes to just about anything. Plus who knows what it is set at currently...You can make a simple dial gauge that fits inside the spark plug so you can find TDC, the marks from the factory are just a rough guide for setting timing. A lot of guys set it at 1.8mm btbc instead of the factory 2.0mm btdc, to compensate for modern octanes. I'm fitting an electronic ignition ASAP, set it once and forget it. Most of the complete systems are quite pricey, but there is a guy modifying DYNA ignitions to use on RD, they are on ebay and half the price, but not as comprehensive. I have heard only good things about the product and his support. I would prioritize...check the vitals first...seizures are surely not fun.

Stock ignition right now. My first large purchase will be the newtronics ignition, so I may have that before the bike is back together. If I can rig my own gauge, thats cool....I was hesitant because the only ones I've seen are over $100.
There is a main connection point on the harness where the generator wires join the main loom, but there are at least a few wires I'd have to cut there as there are no disconnects. I think I'll just follow the manual and pull the generator.

Today I got the seat, tank, side cover, oil tank, battery box, and filter box all pulled and cleaned up. No surprises so far. even got the rear fender/lights/grab bar assembly on ebay. :D
Tomorrow I plan on getting all the controls off so I can pull the motor out. Then it's time to prep and paint.

http://rd400.petercamburn.com/2008/08/25/homemade-2-stroke-timing-kit/

Okay, I was able to sneak in some garage time today. Got the harness out, contros (damn you stripped screws!), guages and the motor! Yeah baby. Kind of a pain, and I have no idea how I'll get it back in without scratching my new frame paint. I'm so glad I did this though..there is dirt and grime everywhere. Cleaning starts tomorrow.
b6b8ea11.jpg

d9e06269.jpg

man you work fast, dang
looking good and no suprises i assume on pulling out the motor?
if you want to put the motor back in without scratching the frame just search or scroll the 50$ mod thread and buy some pipe insulation, you know foam tubes at the harware store, very cheap and then tape them together over your frame. set engine one side lower fram onto engine, cut foam as needed and bolt up the engine.
then stand er up and peel off all the foam wrap or leave it to protect finish until the last second to reveal,,,, perfect paint ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: yeay eay eyyyyayyayaahahahaha
now sleep for trout fishing morning in moutains

rjz5400 said:
man you work fast, dang
looking good and no suprises i assume on pulling out the motor?
if you want to put the motor back in without scratching the frame just search or scroll the 50$ mod thread and buy some pipe insulation, you know foam tubes at the harware store, very cheap and then tape them together over your frame. set engine one side lower fram onto engine, cut foam as needed and bolt up the engine.
then stand er up and peel off all the foam wrap or leave it to protect finish until the last second to reveal,,,, perfect paint ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: yeay eay eyyyyayyayaahahahaha
now sleep for trout fishing morning in moutains

That's a fantastic idea. Never thought of laying the frame down over the engine. That and the pipe insulation idea have made the process alot easier in my head. :D

Thanks for the link on the dial gauge...I'll be buying one of them as well.

Anybody have any suggestions for the bast way to seal up any openings on the engine when I go to clean it for paint? Also, should I start with regular foam engine brite, or use something stronger like oven cleaner, brake cleaner, etc?

Back
Top Bottom