1978 Honda CB 125 Single dustbin build

Blake

the future is my friend
Well, I picked this up off CL for $200. About 90% complete sans gaskets, bearings, and some rusty bits. Gonna keep this super simple as it's my first build. Gonna make a track bike, so I'll bypass as much as I can with electrics. I don't really have time until August to work on it, but for $200, I couldn't pass it up. PO stripped it down, sanded, polished, painted most everything. Engine looks pretty shot, but everything is there. Parts for a cb125 are shockingly cheap, but I'll still probably drop some $$ to get this thing right.

IMG_1718.jpg

Re: New project: 1978 CB 125 cafe

Good luck! I am doing something similar with a Kawasaki 100cc. I will be watching your progress with much interest! If we lived closer we could race them!

Love the shape of the tank, and the seat looks to match it well!

$200?! You made out like a bandit!

Let us know if you need any help.

that tank and cafe tail are worth the 200 alone if they were brand new, ,,,, dang...
whats the specs on that sweet race tank?
i have a rusty pinholed b125 tank and i would love to replace it but all i seem to find are big huge race tanks that one looks like it might fit on there shmoove.
let me know if there is any way to id it or if you wanna get rid of it. i may have some/a part or two for trade. i am building a 1974 cb125 called "nameless" on here as well.
congrats on the purchase.
dang

Re: New project: 1978 CB 125 cafe *BUCKET*

The tank is a fantastic size, as well as the seat. The PO built both to fit the 125 frame like a glove. The tank looks good in the pictures but it is far far far from perfect. Gonna need to be plugged in several places and I'll have to be smooth as a baker icing a cake with all the Bondo I'll need to fix it. The seat is good. It will need some extra bracing so my butt doesn't squash it.

I wanna build a bucket racer. Maybe minimally street legal (one mirror, head & brake light). Going bucket because, well because most of the parts for this thing would fit in a 5 gallon bucket and I'm on a tight budget. I'll need to go cheap as much as possible so I can put my $ towards the expensive part of the build. I'll be re using as much as I can from my meager shelves to complete this thing. I've got a shortie muffler that will look/sound great on this little engine.

I'm looking to these shots for inspiration:

3020cb125.jpg

CB125T_5.jpg

cb125.jpg

1976_HondaMTR_125cc_Racer.jpg

1968_jamathi_50_racer.jpg

mikey6.jpg

I really want a full fairing bike. I love the old MV Agusta dustbins. I thought that would be overkill on a 125 until I saw the Gilera 125:

257A_2-1958-Gilera-125-Racer.jpg

G125DB1.jpg

$480 from Airtech. Made for 125 single size bikes. I'm sure I can find something for a far more reasonable price secondhand. I'm not ruling out other fairing options.
My cb500t is already the best looking bike in town. I want this thing to be the most bizarre/cool bike in town.

plans after inventory of useable parts:

-separate and organize useable parts
-polish & clean
-paint engine block (semi gloss black)
-(powdercoat frame and wheels?)
-spoke the wheels & hubs
-get a rolling mock up to inspire me to complete engine and bits
-rear sets

other stuff (cant think, naked wife kissing me....,)

Awesome stuff man. I am excited about this project.

I have spent a lot of time looking for second hand tanks on the cheap for bucket racers with no luck, I have pretty much made up my mind and am just going to shell out the $376 for an airtech.

Haha if you get that Gilera fairing that would be bizarely awesome!

GroovyAardvark said:
Awesome stuff man. I am excited about this project.

I have spent a lot of time looking for second hand tanks on the cheap for bucket racers with no luck, I have pretty much made up my mind and am just going to shell out the $376 for an airtech.

Haha if you get that Gilera fairing that would be bizarely awesome!

Yeah, I'm thinking about seeking out another tank. Something along the lines of the Kawa tank airtech offers:
A1R21.jpg

or, if I can't work this tank out, the Honda 110 tank style:
cr1103.jpg

Nice sounding build, I'll be definitely following this one. Now that Gilera fairing got me thinking... :D

well if you need to get rid of that other tank you know who to PM.
i am right in NC and i think i would rather workon that one than work on my stock one. so let me know if you want to put it on my 125.
so stoked to see another one going at the same time. as soon as i get the title back in the mail its off to the interweb to order all kinds of parts

Yeah I am getting that honda CR110 tank for my bucket. I will let you know what its like when I get it.

GroovyAardvark said:
Yeah I am getting that honda CR110 tank for my bucket. I will let you know what its like when I get it.

I'd really like to see some pics of that tank when you get it. I'm interested to see how it looks on a frame. You're building a kawa, right? Could you post a link to your build? I like that CR110 tank a lot.

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=15156.0

I will be getting the tank as soon as I can afford it. (a few weeks from now probably) in the meantime I am rebuilding the engine so its not like I am in a rush.

Unfortunately I do not have a nice horizontally straight frame like yours, so I will probably end up welding on some sort of extension to the top of the frame to make this tank fit and look nice.

I found a great tank. $75. Old Wards tank. It also happens to be the great tank on the hottest cb125 ever:

10354960-S-1.jpg

Picture1-2.png

While the cr110 tank looks trim and nimble, the allure of this tank calls my name. Like, softly, in my ear, you know...

Needless to say, I'll be selling the tank that came with this "pile of parts" (says my wife). "Have a little vision" I respond.

Sweet tank!

RJZ is going to be all over your current one. Congrats!

Engine:
Well I started cleaning off/out this engine block. It's grimy as hell. I'm really looking forward to rebuilding my first engine. I feel comfortable working with a 125.

IMG_1732.jpg

Carb:
I cleaned the carb and attempted to pull it apart as best I could. It's definitely gotta go. Old jets and stuff are practically cemented in there. I used carb cleaner and engine degreaser and nothing will budge. I could try some PB blaster on those needles but I'm gonna save my time and opt for a new Mikuni VM22 and throttle kit. I'll need a new throttle tube and all anyway as the old stuff is shot.

IMG_1733.jpg

Tank:
Got my tank NOS late 60's Wards Binelli tank for $95 shipped. Now I need to sell the current tank.

Picture1-2.png

I can't believe how cute and tiny all the components are to this bike. I've used "cute" more in the last week than I have all year. Aside from the "cute" factor, the bike also looks really badass in mock up. It looks like a little bull with the clubman bars. I'm thinking I'll need clip ons so the dustbin fairing will fit. Rear sets are a must too. No way I'm doubling over my 6' frame on this thing. I'll be making a list of parts for sale/trade and posting them here in the next few weeks.

IMG_1742.jpg
IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg
IMG_1739.jpg

It looks great with the current tank. I can't wait to see it with the Binelli tank! I have an art student friend who also paints bikes for side money. She is willing to take on the painting portion of the tank, seat, and fairing for her portfolio. She does great work and has 2 or 3 bikes of her own.

Awesome stuff man.

I need an exhust for my bucket. Yours looks good, did it come with the bike?

GroovyAardvark said:
Awesome stuff man.

I need an exhust for my bucket. Yours looks good, did it come with the bike?

Nope, I just happened to have two shorties on the shelf in storage. I picked them up cheap on the bay 7 months ago. Figured I could use them on something, eventually. I put it one my twin to see how it sounded and it was pretty sweet. I can't wait to hear it on the 125 skeeter* engine. I have another if you're interested.

* skeeter: Slang for "Mosquito," a large blood sucking bird we have in the south. Makes a buzzing noise when near the ear.

Back
Top Bottom