XS400 El' Pescado Loco

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swapmeet Louie

Put some metal in yer eye....
So I bought 2 xs400's from a guy that lives down the street from me. He had planned on making one out of the 2. Being that this was his 1st project, he quickly got overwhelmed and decided to unload them. With plans of buying something that was already close to being done. And just putting his personal touch on it.

Anyway, this was the more complete and running one so I decided I'd bring it home 1st.
On arrival last night about 5 or 6 p.m:
imagejpeg_2_2.jpg

@ Midnight after a few beers and some tinkering... And trying to basically give the bike direction:
IMG_20101210_001719.jpg

IMG_20101210_002059.jpg

Re: XS400 brat ka-bobb chop-sickle... last night

Cool bikes, and already a vast improvement. I take it from the lack of pictures the other one is pretty rough?

Looking forward to more updates.

IndieSol said:
Cool bikes, and already a vast improvement. I take it from the lack of pictures the other one is pretty rough?

Looking forward to more updates.

Ya the other bike is all there with a "good?" motor. but is basically a parts bike...

Thanks for the compliments Mike and Joe!

This bike is going "bratt-style". It'll be my 1st attempt @ this style, so it should be interesting to say the least.

I got a few things started last night. I started welding up the seat hoop for a brat seat. still need to add some gussets etc.

Will post some pics later today maybe.

Thanks again, Louie

here is a pick of the bratt-style hoop under construction...
IMG_20101211_093752.jpg

And a couple pics after last night... Man this bike is DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTY!
IMG_20101210_205630.jpg

The rear fender is lacking a front support so it looks a little saggy, but you'll get the idea...
IMG_20101210_205425.jpg

Louie

be nice if oyu could bend the hoop up in the middle back so that the fender can flow though it, then drop the back end nice and low... i bet some heat and a basketball hoop pole would give you a nice U in he middle to run the fender in... what happend to the window bars?

JRK5892 said:
be nice if oyu could bend the hoop up in the middle back so that the fender can flow though it, then drop the back end nice and low... i bet some heat and a basketball hoop pole would give you a nice U in he middle to run the fender in... what happend to the window bars?

Ya I hear ya Joe... but, I can't get the bike any lower and keep the rear suspended. The shocks that are on it are 10", and I dont think I can find shorter...? It's alot lower in person. I'll try and get a profile shot soon. I would also prefer to not "drag" pegs in corners, haha..

As far as the bars go, I'm just playing with parts. They may go back on, may not?

Thanks for the suggestions and input.

looks like you got alot of room there before dragging hard parts... i would move the shock mount location... eihter further up on the frame or further back on the swing arm. you can make some lowering blocks for the swing arm out of steel too that could work. i think it needs 2 inches dropped in back from looking at it... but then again i am looking at pictures not the real deal ya know :D

antoher option would be to add 2 inches to the swing arm! that would look dope as well

JRK5892 said:
looks like you got alot of room there before dragging hard parts... i would move the shock mount location... eihter further up on the frame or further back on the swing arm. you can make some lowering blocks for the swing arm out of steel too that could work. i think it needs 2 inches dropped in back from looking at it... but then again i am looking at pictures not the real deal ya know :D

Ya honestly 2 1/4" is all thats there before contact. Like I said the fender in the pic is not mounted at the front so it's teetering forward right now. which makes the clearance @ the top appear to be more than it is.

well... what if you mounted the fender to the swing arm to float on the tire, then bent the rail to allow for travel... that would look pretty dope as well (with only 2+ inches you are right, do nt go lower :) )

Looks good man. I think that if you really want to keep it realisticaly rideable, youre at a pretty good height. Im pretty sure I can guess how you ride (apeshit) and too low could make really tossin' her around sketchy. My 2c...

just not sure how much you can really rip hard on a 400... i am thinking more bar hopper if you are building something to really ride and ride alot i would 100% agree that where it sits is good

JRK5892 said:
well... what if you mounted the fender to the swing arm to float on the tire, then bent the rail to allow for travel... that would look pretty dope as well (with only 2+ inches you are right, do nt go lower :) )

True, but then I'd have to have space between the Bratsyle seat and the fender. And I'm not too sure how that would look?

I'm not trying to shoot down all your suggestion Joe.. I just think the pics are slightly misrepresenting the actual machine.

I really do appreciate your input, and ideas. Please keep them coming.

And thanks Mike, I plan on bringing this back east this summer. Along with El' macho. Which is currently being resurrected, haha

JRK5892 said:
just not sure how much you can really rip hard on a 400... i am thinking more bar hopper if you are building something to really ride and ride alot i would 100% agree that where it sits is good

I would have to disagree that CC has much to do with rip factor... IMO

hahaha i like that "rip factor" going to steal that from you... ya i think i am seeing something different, to me it is the lines of the tank, when i think brat i think low longer tank, may be cool to tub the tnak and drop it low on the back bone. no worries man, i love when people throw ideas at me... if anyting gets the gears tearing and helps!

JRK5892 said:
hahaha i like that "rip factor" going to steal that from you... ya i think i am seeing something different, to me it is the lines of the tank, when i think brat i think low longer tank, may be cool to tub the tnak and drop it low on the back bone. no worries man, i love when people throw ideas at me... if anyting gets the gears tearing and helps!

hah... forsure! Thanks again..

I like the bike so far Louie. I am not in love with the sporty tank. I think if your trying to go more for more of the style of the second pic then you need to kong the top rails. they must limit those shocks internally so they only have an inch of travel. But if your going for more of a flat seat brat then I like clip ons or drag bars. makes them look kinda racy.

Thanks man... I read this earlier and started to kong the frame. or at least the front hoop, haha

I think I'm going to run this sr500 tank (I think thats what it is?)... I wont be running drag or clip-ons. I am still on the hunt for bars.

Thanks for the advice!
IMG_20101214_171100.jpg

Back
Top Bottom