KZ400 "Dirty Bird" Cafe (Winter mods)

Re: 79 KZ400 Cafe (Help please!)

Thanks for the input. Guess I need to get those mufflers on and see what happens.

Re: 79 KZ400 Cafe (Help please!)

Alright, thanks to timing adjustment I was able to get it idling again like it was before.

However it is still doing the rev thing (revving up and staying there) like I explained before.

Hopefully mufflers will fix it. If not, on to pilot and secondary main jet.

Re: 79 KZ400 Cafe (Mufflers installed + video)

Is your ignition advancer sticking? I know my z1 was doing the same thing, and the ignition advancer was the culprit.

OldSchoolKaw86 said:
Is your ignition advancer sticking? I know my z1 was doing the same thing, and the ignition advancer was the culprit.

Not sure exactly what that means? Or how I would fix it if it was?

It is under the points plate. You have to take the points plate off, mark the lines on the case so you will be able to put it all back together right, then take off the bolt that is connected to the crank, slide the bolt out and coat it in oil.

OldSchoolKaw86 said:
It is under the points plate. You have to take the points plate off, mark the lines on the case so you will be able to put it all back together right, then take off the bolt that is connected to the crank, slide the bolt out and coat it in oil.

I have taken that all apart before but did not coat with oil. Maybe I will try that. What exactly r u "coating in oil though?

Sounds like you're saying to coat the bolt in oil. Note sure how that would solve anything...

OldSchoolKaw86 said:
The bolt needs to be lubricated every once in a while.

Lubricated the bolt and it didn't help.

I think I need new pilot jets. Bummer.

Couple pics with mufflers. Look good IMO.

38f3e801.jpg

9e777d82.jpg

fc403e0a.jpg

Swapmeet Louie said:
Looks way better with the mufflers man!

Thanks guys. I think so too. They look exactly how I had hoped they would.

Can you take pics of the wiring, the rectifier, fuse box, reg and battery?

dustywang said:
Can you take pics of the wiring, the rectifier, fuse box, reg and battery?

Ya sure. I am making my own fuse box cause I couldn't find the stock fuses anywhere. So I'm running more standard fuses.

Getting SO close. Here is a new video. Don't pay attention to it dying at the end. I just had the idle a little too low I think.

But the rev issue appears to be gone... right?

Re: 79 KZ400 Cafe (Mufflers installed + new video)

Took it for a little ride today. Running MUCH better but I think my throttle cables are still a bit sticky. Still does the rev thing every once in a while.

Re: 79 KZ400 Cafe (Mufflers installed + new video)

Can't resist. First pic of her out of the garage... Well, REALLY out of the garage.

d6b95d8c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom