COMPETITION TIME

dracken1

we usually only run these on brit forums, but heh time to branch out

question...

We were asked to replicate a frame . which we have done in the 4 pics below.

What motorcycle brand and model is it for?

Only 2 answers per person, if no one gets the make and model we will declare the winner the person who gets one or the other, in the event of a tie, we will put them in a hat and let luck decide.

A hint.... We have been making frames for 44 years. And we had to look this one up as not only had we never seen one in the metal, we had'nt even heard of it.

the prize
one of our fibreglass and aluminium seat units, fully upholstered in black with a choice of colour for the piping. (sorry seat pics do not show upholstery.)
our retail price for this unit is £130.00
The seat overall length is 25"
width is 9 7/8" at the front to 10 1/2" where the hump begins. it narrows from that point to the rear.
weight a little over 2 pound.
however we not generous enough to pay for the shipping outside the uk. (sorry).
so that would be down to you.

our seats are made using a combo of glass fibre and aluminium as all aluminium seats with a hump tend to have a weak spot where the hump rises from the seat base and can and often crack there, under race conditions.
the upholstery covers the rivets seen in the pics.

suggestion
if you are 100% certain you know what it is, you can, if you wish pm the answer to me.
i will print those pm's which are correct at the end.
oh which is 7 days from today, by the way.

THE FRAME
comp1.jpg

comp3.jpg

comp2.jpg

comp4.jpg

THE SEAT

seatunit1.jpg

seatunit2.jpg

HOLEY CRAP someone spent a TON of time with a torch and some brass rod, that shit is awesome!!! Not even gonna guess, I'm just impressed. :eek: Still one of my favorite ways to stick two pieces of metal together. :D

frogman said:
HOLEY CRAP someone spent a TON of time with a torch and some brass rod, that shit is awesome!!! Not even gonna guess, I'm just impressed. :eek: Still one of my favorite ways to stick two pieces of metal together. :D

I still break out the torch even after liberal amounts of mig welding. I don't trust my sloppy welds so I like to add a pool of braze to reinforce them. Until I get a tig machine, this is the best available to me.

DrJ said:
I still break out the torch even after liberal amounts of mig welding. I don't trust my sloppy welds so I like to add a pool of braze to reinforce them. Until I get a tig machine, this is the best available to me.

I to still use braze, alot!

surffly said:
looks norton featherbed.....

The featherbed doesn't have that tube that runs down the middle from the top of the neck and also the rear comes joined in a half-loop. The engine mounts (especially the rear) are quite different as well.

Sonreir said:
The featherbed doesn't have that tube that runs down the middle from the top of the neck and also the rear comes joined in a half-loop. The engine mounts (especially the rear) are quite different as well.

It "is" a feather bead style frame. Thats a fact, but for what? Featherbeds are know to be extremely universal. For this reason.

Edit: I dont think the "frame" is the clue. It's definitely in the motor mounts. And it's for a unit motor.

Oh a challenge! This sounds like fun. ;D
Although if you have been making frames for 44 years and you had never heard of the model, it worries me.
The way the bottom and top tubes cross over themselves before they attach to the headstock is definitely inspired by the featherbed frame. That should put it in the 50's or 60's. But the bracing on the down tubes and the fact that it has three top bars make me think it might be Japanese. Possibly a factory racing bike?

Ok i've gone through almost all of my motorcycle books and nothing matches. I even tried Munch Mammoth and Ducati Apollo but nada.

Am I correct in assuming that this is an exact replica of a facory frame or is this your custom frame and you wan't us to guess which engine it is made for?

The more I look the more it screams Featherbed but everything simular has straight triangulated bars on the rear not bent with a box section. :-\

it is a replica of a production frame, :)

they were high qualiity motorcycles , mostly 500 cc

however they only built a few of them.

please note that just because most bikes on this forum are cafe racers, does not mean that this has to be a cafe racer.

It is reminiscent of a featherbed, but very different in top tubes. The rear loops are more like a BSA and the shock mount is similar to a Royal Oilfield or Velo and it is none of the above.

There's a lot of cross bracing at the top which is unusual and the rear engine/trans mount is most unusual.

Looks almost like it could have been made by Reg Geeson or Reynolds for Tom Arter, but the tubes are way too large for that time.

Colin Lyster used tiny tubes, so it's not one of his and it's not a Yankee twin or a Rokon.

I'll come back to this later and see what the answer was. I'd really like one of your CB77 chassis kits though.

It does look like a frame off of a Norton 600 Dominator but that would be a Feather bed again.
You got me I'm stumped.

but very different in top tubes.

I have seen similar design on a few dirt/flattrack bikes, the subframe looks like it supports a more upright riding position. Could this be a possibility ?

I have seen similar design on a few dirt/flattrack bikes, the subframe looks like it supports a more upright riding position. Could this be a possibility ?

it could well be ;)

Back
Top Bottom