www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread  (Read 97846 times)

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread
« Reply #80 on: Nov 06, 2013, 19:14:52 »
This is my second attempt at the exhaust, I had to stop and buy more stainless bends, as those I had were distorted in some of their bends. Not a problem under a car, but when polished on the bike they'd look crap. Its held together for now with tape and string, but tomorrow I'll get the first bends tack welded, then bring them home to check they are ok, before taking the remaining sections to the welder to finish the headers.

Offline o1marc

• Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #81 on: Nov 06, 2013, 19:39:03 »
Who's tank is that on it? Is that a Hawg Halter caliper on that bike in the Norley shop?
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2013, 20:16:59 by o1marc »

Offline AgentX

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #82 on: Nov 06, 2013, 20:14:30 »
ummm, yes please.
"What's the use of having a motorcycle if you can't go tearing around staying out late?" Ralph asked reasonably.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #83 on: Nov 06, 2013, 20:20:04 »
Who's tank it that on it? Is that a Hawg Halter caliper on that bike in the Norley shop?

Tank is from Norley, I think they get them in turn from T.A.Baker   http://www.tabclassics.com/   who aren't too far away from Norley. The front end including the caliper on the black bike looks to be from the Buell its built from.

Offline o1marc

« Reply #84 on: Nov 06, 2013, 20:28:50 »
Tank is from Norley, I think they get them in turn from T.A.Baker   http://www.tabclassics.com/   who aren't too far away from Norley. The front end including the caliper on the black bike looks to be from the Buell its built from.

I see you are right, upon closer inspection it is a stock Buell caliper, it is very similar to the HHI 6 piston caliper.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #85 on: Nov 08, 2013, 12:20:29 »
The exhaust is pretty much done, though still needs to be polished, and one pipe under engine needs to be expanded to give me a slip joint. I'll weld on a couple hooks and use exhaust springs to hold it together next week.

One problem I had was that some of the bends I had to cut were deformed, which would've made welding them to a straight piece look awful, so they were binned..

Some bends were deformed when cut in half..

Using the good bends I did have, I could've gone for this option, as it involved a minimum of welded joints..

But it didn't look quite right, so I tried again and came up with this instead.. note all the string, tape and even an old tooth brush I used to hold everything in place, it was tricky with just one pair of hands

A few more trips back to the welder and its done.. It would've been better if the megas were a little higher and tilted up, but the gearchange linkage means this is as far as they could go on the left and the right hand side had to mirror the left..

Offline o1marc

« Reply #86 on: Nov 08, 2013, 12:49:40 »
Left side pic?

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #87 on: Nov 08, 2013, 13:23:35 »
Left side pic?

Its dark now, no lights where I'm working on the bike, so will take a pic of the LHS tomorrow.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #88 on: Nov 09, 2013, 13:08:22 »
LHS pic, not much to see, the downpipe just turns under the engine and goes forward. I still need to cut approx. 1/2inch from the end of the downpipe, to allow the exhaust to tuck in closer to the frame rail to give more ground clearance.   

Offline Floegstad

• between 8.30 and half past eight works well for me
« Reply #89 on: Nov 09, 2013, 17:14:44 »
looking awesome! ;D