CB360T Build/Rebuild

cholland_

Been Around the Block
So here's the starting point, a 1975 CB360T I picked up from Drewski in August. This'll be my first bike... so expect many dumb questions, although I do have a *bit* of experience with aircooled VW's, kind of the same thing.
CB360002.jpg

IMGP5108.jpg

Now, when I bought the bike, I said I didn't want to tear it completely apart, but then I had a few weeks off and got bored. So now it looks like this:
DSCN1756.jpg

And a pile of parts:
DSCN1758.jpg

The engine. For some reason, I can't get the cylinders to come out at all... anybody have any suggestions other than pulling really hard, or fire? Because those haven't worked as of yet.
DSCN1757.jpg

And the rebuilt head:
DSCN1759.jpg

DSCN1760.jpg

The plan is to spend the winter building back up (and keeping a budget!)... trying to make a British-influenced cafe/stocker. Is that diluted enough?

Carb's rebuilt:
DSCN1767.jpg

And the engine torn apart as far as its going (except the pistons will come off for cleaning):
DSCN1765.jpg

Also thought you guys might appreciate the test-bench I made for my 914 motor... the baby formula can is for gas, and the starter runs off a trigger:
DSCN1761.jpg

gday cholland
im happy to see a 360 project on here, keep up the work, your few photos have been appreciated!

mrbones said:
Lookin' good! Did you have to replace the diaphragms in the carbs? If so, where did you get new ones?

No, I didn't find new diaphragms... I just had kits from sirius and a 4 litre jug of carb cleaner.

KH0142.jpg

In other news, my new piston rings showed up on the weekend, so putting the pistons back on the connecting rods is all I've done lately.

Also, anyone know of any nice looking silver-green colours? I'd looking to paint the tank something like that.

cholland_ said:
Also, anyone know of any nice looking silver-green colours? I'd looking to paint the tank something like that.

How about Ducati green frame?

2007DucatiSuperbikeConcorso1974750S.jpg

BTW - nice build ;)

Well work has been slow, but here's some updates:

Put the motor back together:
DSCN1775.jpg

And did some polishing:
DSCN1774.jpg

DSCN1777.jpg

The side cover is a lot shinier than it looks. It still needs more (and has some pretty deep scratches), but I'm pretty impressed with myself ;).

Also, I think I've decided on a colour - 1970 Chevelle green mist:
ACFDDD.JPG

Lookin' good!! ;D I had no doubt you'd do this 360 right! ;) ;D

I like where you're goin' with this!! ;D

Drewski said:
Lookin' good!! ;D I had no doubt you'd do this 360 right! ;) ;D

I like where you're goin' with this!! ;D

Glad your enjoying it! ;)

Just for the record... when you dropped it off, didn't I say that I didn't want to tear it apart completely? ::)

cholland_ said:
Glad your enjoying it! ;)

Just for the record... when you dropped it off, didn't I say that I didn't want to tear it apart completely? ::)

Yes. You did. ;) ;D

Oh well! ;D

No real progress, but finished polishing the rear wheel yesterday.

DSCN1780.jpg

Now to find some tires I can afford ::)

Absolutely nothing new to say! :-[ I've been working on the 914 every second I get.

The bike's been stalled at the paint part... once that happens (sometime in the next few weeks), then it'll get reassembled pretty quickly.

p_00103.jpg

p_00104.jpg

A little bit of progress! Not the final handlebars or tank colour... but hey! It looks like a motorbike again!

Does anybody have a closeup picture of the rear brake pivot mount for a 360? Obviously I took it apart quickly and can't figure out how the spring mounts again...

Well it's more or less a bike again, other than few snags.
IMGP5496.jpg

New exhaust wrapped and installed:
IMGP5497.jpg

Last week everything went back together, today I've been wiring it up.
My issues right now are the control cables.

-the throttle works fine with the grip isn't attached to the handlebars. When I slid it on, it sticks wherever I let go. I think the diameter of the handlebar might be a little bit too much and causing resistance.
-the clutch cable does nothing. I think when the chain cover on the engine is bolted down, the clutch is on all the time (because the kickstart doesn't catch). I've tried adjusting it. The cable is new and looks like this:
IMGP5492.jpg

IMGP5493.jpg

Also I've figured out the stock CB360 front turn signals hit the clubman bars.... so I need to figure out something there. ::)

wow , looking good, i like those brasani pipes looks great with wrap, the tank and seat looks great, keep at it,the signal stem can be shaved down to fit with the clubmans,cut it down ,an file a channel at the end for the vertical bolt to fit, i can show ya,

Back
Top Bottom